Henry Barker, Smart & Brown

They had funny windows

I did buy a 3 piece suite there , I walked in & they said "Tradesmen's entrance is in the rear" , Then no one would serve me except for the young kid untill i bought the suite cash then they all wanted a piece.

I used to get a kick out of going into places like that in my leather jacket.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what bout the pubs and cafes who would not serve us dg. of course all based on assumptions we were going to cause trouble..

simmilar thing when your over wieght like me the security men/ women will follow round the shops i got to the point at one time that i would take of my coat as i walked into a big store and you can almost always say shop assistants will walk up to you to ask if they can help you. getting a bit better know i go in on mobility scooter or on my two sticks. used to love it when going shopping for work sometimes spending up to £1000s i whould go to places like john lewis picking up lots of toys crafts stuff only for some kid saying to me you realizehow much they are dont you i would just say yes thank you can you get department manager for me most of whoom had got to know me and whouls say hello mrs piggott how much you spending today, i would hand over my goods to be checked and packed for delivery the look on some of the assistants faces was a picture.

Would have thought someone would know what i meant by funny windows !!!

It was a bit lower down than the Odeon

dgbrit, are you talking about that shop with concave windows and had a wooden railing across the front instead of the normal window ledge?

• 6 months later...

My grandfather married a Florence Bolderstone on 5th June 1911. Her mother was a Mary Ann Brown. I understood that Mary Brown was from the Browns of the Nottingham furniture store Henry Barker Smart and Brown. I was given to understand that the Browns disowned my great grandmother Mary Brown because she had married beneath their 'social class.!! Ah well.............C'est la vie

Wasn't there a Wimpey Bar there in the 60's too?

There was a coffee bar between the Carlton cinema & Mount St Bus Station in the Fifties/Sixties that stayed open until about Midnight at Weekends, not Wimpey's thought. I don't think they had been invented then.

Do you mean the big office block? For many years was occupied by the GPO (later BT) and is now a hotel.

It was called Walton House while BT occupied it. Back in the 70s, the sixth floor was hallowed ground as that was where the senior management had their offices - compete with wood paneling on the walls. While us plebs had to make do with standard civil service furniture.

BT moved from there in 1999 to Castle Wharf on Canal Street (and will be moving out of there next year, too, as its nearly empty now that many people have moved out).

Under the building, and next to the Wimpy, was a Nat West branch. I still recall the sort code from when I had an account there!

The Sliver Knight Cafe is mentioned elsewhere. AFAIK it was further towards Derby Road island on the same side.

A wooden temporary affair.