#1 OFFLINE   Pixie

Pixie

MEGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  • Local time: 07:54 PM
  • 181 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

Just had to buy a new fridge freezer, praise the lord for Very catalog and pay monthly. Magnet wont keep the fridge door closed and i came down this morning to an open fridge and gone off milk - lovely start to a monday morning. So when this new fridge freezer comes, what do i do with my old one? Do scrapmen take them? i wasnt sure cos they have refridgerant in.. or do i need to call someone to collect? Whats the law on leaving it infront of the house? Sorry to be a pain or sound silly, never had to get rid of something so big

Dont trust anyone, remember, the Devil was once an Angel.

#2 OFFLINE   mick2me

mick2me

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,900 posts
  • Local time: 08:54 PM
  • 2,031 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Scrap men took mine.

admin.jpg admin2.gif readingmonkeysmall.gif
All opinions are my own!, who else would want them?
I don't Know much, but what I do know is worth knowing ‹(•¿•)›

#3 OFFLINE   Limey

Limey

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Admin
  • 4,650 posts
  • Local time: 03:54 PM
  • 91 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Don't know about over there, but here you can leave it out for the scrap/trash folk to pick up - BUT you must take the doors off first!  Actually, things like that usually disappear before the trash man cometh - we call them "pickers" - they take whatever is left out that they think they can make a few $$$ on - typically scrap metal, old electronics, etc.

Pentwater, Michigan, USA
Have a pint for me lads!
Cheers, Eric

#4 OFFLINE   Pixie

Pixie

MEGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  • 181 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

Ahh, ill have a look into having to take doors off over here. We have people like that over here, Whenever iv left bits of furniture outside - pc desk, tv unit its vanished within an hour or two. Then again, iv seen people chuck decent stuff out in the same way, a friend of mine took a unit with wicker baskets in, it was in perfect condition, not a scratch on it apart from the base from being on the pavement, it now makes love storage for her sons bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   denshaw

denshaw

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• 3,104 posts
  • 56 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Love storage?

It's all coming back to me now.

#6 OFFLINE   Pixie

Pixie

MEGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  • 181 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Lovely storage rather! :rotfl:

#7 OFFLINE   piggy and babs

piggy and babs

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 3,632 posts
  • 46 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

know in netherfield they can be funny about things being left on pavement  a couple of years ago mrs parnham son left a old tumble dryer out side her house for about 10 mins while he took new one in  before putting it in his car to take to the tip while he was inside street warden came round two days later  she got a letter and a fine she was 98 at the time will be 100 soon there was a big article in post neadless to say they quashed the fine but it caused her a lot of upset. all the warden needed to do was knock on the door and ask if it was hers and if she had arranged disposal for it would have saved a lot of upset for a very old lady but he was obviously  a real jobsworth.

in my experience most scrap men  will take fridge freezers away the thing about taking og the door is more of a child safty thing over here than law chillred have a fasination of climbing into small spaces and  and closing the door hence the tragic cases of children being suffercated.

#8 OFFLINE   DAVIDW

DAVIDW

MEGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 1,397 posts
  • 42 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

According to the Council Website they offer a bulky waste pick-up and you can even request it online

http://www.mynotting...articleid=16770

#9 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 4,884 posts
  • 264 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

I did this last year. I looked on the Gedling Borough Council site and got the info. there is a small charge for them to take it away. You have to keep it somewhere on your property (garden etc.) until it is collected. You can leave it outside and no doubt it will get taken away by scrappers but you can be liable to quite a large fine if it is dumped inappropriately if that concerns you. Not sure how they would trace it back to you though

My Blog:

THE TEARS OF A CLOWN

#10 OFFLINE   Pixie

Pixie

MEGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  • 181 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

know in netherfield they can be funny about things being left on pavement  a couple of years ago mrs parnham son left a old tumble dryer out side her house for about 10 mins while he took new one in  before putting it in his car to take to the tip while he was inside street warden came round two days later  she got a letter and a fine she was 98 at the time will be 100 soon there was a big article in post neadless to say they quashed the fine but it caused her a lot of upset. all the warden needed to do was knock on the door and ask if it was hers and if she had arranged disposal for it would have saved a lot of upset for a very old lady but he was obviously  a real jobsworth.

in my experience most scrap men  will take fridge freezers away the thing about taking og the door is more of a child safty thing over here than law chillred have a fasination of climbing into small spaces and  and closing the door hence the tragic cases of children being suffercated.

I got a fine for my old next door neighbours bin being left out! She used to steal peoples bins and eventually had 3 black bins, one of them was in her back garden and she left two infront of the house. There was a sticker on it asking for it to be put away, she ignored it so i got someone knocking on my door wanting me to pay £50something! I had to take them to my back garden and show them my bin and her collection of wheely bins. He wasnt polite about it either. I will remove the doors in that case, i never even thought about it like that and there is a few kids who play around here. Iv been told the council charge to collect items, id rather leave it out to be taken for free lol Although, i do need to hire a skip to empty my shed seeings as everything inside has gone mouldy cos of the roof... nice.

#11 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 4,884 posts
  • 264 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Here you go, Pixie. Thirteen pounds for a single item and sixteen pound for three items:

http://www.gedling.g...lectricalitems/

My Blog:

THE TEARS OF A CLOWN

#12 OFFLINE   poohbear

poohbear

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 3,263 posts
  • 156 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Fridge doors have been made safe with non lockable catches since I think the sixties.

#13 OFFLINE   Beefsteak

Beefsteak

• Guests
  • 1 posts
  • 669 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Leave it on your doorstep with a sign on it saying "For sale £50" go shopping , come back in half an hour and I bet the bloody things gone !

• Pixie and darkazana like this
Presenter: Which is the largest Spanish-speaking country in the world?
Contestant: Barcelona .
Presenter: I was really after the name of a country.
Contestant: I'm sorry, I don't know the names of any countries in Spain .

#14 OFFLINE   Pixie

Pixie

MEGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  • 181 topics

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Haha! possibly! Iv just had a thought, iv got to get it outside to begin with and i dont know anyone with a trolly... does anyone think if i gave the delivery guys a few quid theyd put it on the front for me? As i dont know when its going to be delivered (In the next 6 days) Im sure it wont take long for me to pull freezer draws out and emtpy when they arrive.

#15 ONLINE   Michael Booth

Michael Booth

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 9,051 posts
  • 132 topics

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

I've recently bought a new fridge/freezer and the chaps from Currys took my old one away with them. No charge.

#16 OFFLINE   Commo

Commo

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 2,752 posts
  • 32 topics

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Likewise MB, but they did require it to be defrosted and dried off.

#17 OFFLINE   systema

systema

Nottstalgian

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 AM
  • 0 topics

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

My OH put his mothers old fridge in the front garden, went off to Morrisons and when they got back it had gone !!!

#18 ONLINE   Michael Booth

Michael Booth

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 9,051 posts
  • 132 topics

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

I knew that there were strict EEC regulations on the disposal of fridge/freezers but I couldn't remember what they were. This Site explains it all.

http://www.archive.d...idges/index.htm

It never comes up 'blue' for me so just copy and paste.

Edited by mick2me, 05 March 2013 - 02:32 PM.
http://www. added

#19 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 4,884 posts
  • 264 topics

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Just click on the 'link' button which is the eighth one along above the window you're typing in, Michael, (hover your cursor over it and it will say 'link'). Then simply right click in the URL field that comes up and 'paste' from the drop-down menu.

http://archive.defra...idges/index.htm

My Blog:

THE TEARS OF A CLOWN

#20 OFFLINE   mick2me

mick2me

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,900 posts
  • 2,031 topics

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

Many years ago I went off to Florida for two weeks.

Thought I'd do a spot of hoovering before I went...

Had a great time travelling round Florida seeing the sights.

Got back home and went to the freezer to get something out for tea.

Got knocked back by the smell of a freezer full of rotten food!

I had unplugged it to do the hoovering and not plugged it back in!

Got rid of the food into the bin, and had to get rid of the freezer.

And at the same time an old gas cooker.

Went to Gedling borough council who told me that I needed to leave them

outside and they would be collected some time within the next two weeks.

When I said I did not have room to store them outside for 2 weeks,

they advised me to dispose of them at my own expence.

I went to the office of my Local (Tory) MP who sorted it by writing to

the chief executive of Gedling Borough Council.

I got an apologetic letter from him and it stated I should ring with a convenient 

time for myself to arrange collection :)

The Tory MP was Andrew Mitchell.

admin.jpg admin2.gif readingmonkeysmall.gif
All opinions are my own!, who else would want them?
I don't Know much, but what I do know is worth knowing ‹(•¿•)›