Is there any member who can answer the question of why The Fox and Grapes is called Pretty Windows?

Each time I pick up the Evening Post or Bygones they keep stating the reason is because of the intricate pattern in the windows.

I was told by my father in law in the sixty's that the reason the pub was called Pretty Windows was that after the poacher's had been out poaching they used to hang the game on the spikes of the windows sills so that people could buy them.

Can any member tell me if this is right?

. I didn't give it much credence due to the fact there could be no better way of attracting the attentions of the Old Bill.

Exactly what I was about to type before reading your post...

Hi Newbasfordlad and Phoobear

Considering that my father in law was in his 70s I think his story is better than the Evening Post as he would be talking of the 40s 50s and I think in that time most of the P.C. would be customers of the poachers. Also I would think that they went in the back door of the pub for a pint.

I just wonder if there was any actual fact in history which would confirm why the pup was called "Pretty Windows"

There may have been a referrence to this in an older topic "The perfect murder".

thanks Compo

mary 1947

I think it was simply the design of the big windows on the front. One thing for sur. It certainly aint pretty now. (mind you neither am I)

Looks like the police are still interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-23990411

He's a well known character from the 60's / 70's. Tall and completely bald, which in those days was unusual. I first knew him at the Dungeon and then would see him at other city clubs, minding the doors. I remember Stu as a really nice lad.

Stu did run Peggers for a while.

Was a mate of my BiL Graham 'Dusty' Mapleston, also knocked around with member 'Jan', who now is the landlord of the 'Gedling Club'

" he was a 5 foot 10 or 11 . Substantially built .........Appeared to be of working class but alleged the clothing of a better type of person " Huh ?

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Lim. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. I see that you've put your message on a couple of other threads. Are you trying to trace him or are you just wondering if anyone knew him?. When did he use to be around Sneinton and the Meadows?.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I lived just up Carlton Road from the Pretty Windows. My grandma and grandad said it was called that 'cos of the stained glass which ran across the bottom of the pub windows. I'd just turned 15 at the time and remember the police calling at our house during the house to house investigations. Several coincidences that I didn't notice 'til recently ....

Look at ...

http://www.nottinghampost.com/search/search.html?searchPhrase=pretty+windows&where=

In the "16 unsolved murders.." photos Arthur Cope is top right. In the "Cold case cops etc.." photos, the photo on the right is an artists impression of someone who the police thought might be able to help them. Not too far off, is it?

The murder weapon was found near Radcliffe. Shortly after a caravan on a Radcliffe site was burnt out. Mr Cope was murdered in a caravan in Radcliffe a year after George Wilson was killed.

Oo-er! Did Arthur Cope see something he shouldn't have????

• 1 year later...

I can remember that murder as my Uncle Geoff worked for Jessie Robinson's fish market and told us a about a man called Arthur Cope........never ever solved......funny that !!!!