Help, Forgotten Street Name!

In the 1950s, we used to visit Relations who lived in a house that fronted on to Robin Hoods Chase. We used to walk up Woodborough Road from Alfred St North and turn down my forgotten Street. I remember it had the big St Augustine Catholic Church on the corner, and I think it was opposite Cranmer Street, or very close. The way we entered our Aunt's from this street was across their yards, past the row of outside toilets ( that we all remember so well) avoiding the washing lines that criss crossed our route. Watched carefully by the ladies who where ready to attack if we accidentally put a dirty hand print on a clean sheet! We then went into the house, by what I now realise was the back door. Though as kids, I can't say I gave it a second thought. Can any one tell me the name of that street. I am not very good at finding old maps. Also does any one know which schools, the children from that area would have attended. Thank you for any info.

Well St Augustine's Catholic Church is still there on Woodborough Road Carni and I think it's at the corner of Westville Gardens (?). Probably wasn't called that in those days though. It's opposite Cranmer Street.

I knew you would all find it for me. Great Stuff. Thank you Every One.

On Sunday we made a flying visit home, and drove down Woodborough Rd to have a look for the street. Alas, it was gone! It was one of those things that I remember just as I described in my Initial Post. I sometimes get a bit sad, when I think back to my childhood and the people who have gone. When I come home to Nottingham to visit Sisters, I can't even drive or walk down the streets of St Anns, because they have gone as well. We saw a sign for Northville Gardens, but I couldn't remember the name of the Street, and wasn't sure if Northville was the street title. Thank you for putting a name to my memories. What an old softy I am turning into. When the nights start to draw in, I always get homesick, after all these years. :rolleyes::)

• Upvote 1

The family I am researching at the moment, were not Catholic, and even though the St Augustine School was right on their doorstep so to speak. I wondered if you could only go there if you had the Catholic Religion. If not! then there must have been other Schools in the area. Just something I never thought about, while we were growing up. Though I had Relations around St Anns, I don't know anything about the Schools they might have gone to or the locations. I believe there are a few Nottstalgians from that area who might remember the local Schools.