what do you think is the best locally brewed beer ,my favourite is Nottingham Brewerys Legend bitter,its 4% dark and it tastes great,The new Shipstones is pretty good too.

I don't know, but I'd better get out and sample some !!!!

• Upvote 2

Haven't tried the ones mentioned, but I do remember that Castle Rock's "Hemlock Bitter" was very good. It is good to see so many small breweries doing well - and producing a variety of beers.

Over here it is not hard to find a "micro brewery", but they all seem to focus on high-alcohol beers, often nothing lower than 5%. I asked one brewer why they didn't do a low alcohol "session" bitter and he told me they tried, but Americans won't buy it. It seems the higher the alcohol, the better it sells - taste and ability to walk out take second place!

• Upvote 1

thanks. will try a couple

didn,t the willowbrook start out as theBrooklyn Club ,Dennis Coxon steward I think, I went in there in the 50s with my Dad n Mum

I must pay a visit for old times sake,Is the Vale Social Club still running ? I used to go there with my grandad.

the new Shippos contains non of the ingredient that had the collosal laxative effect that the Greenalls version had

It's my birthday(66th) at the beginning of next month & my good lady wife has bought me a years membership of CAMERA.

So when the bits arrive ...........................................................? thumbsup

• Upvote 1

It would seem that the current business model for sourcing beer is destroying the industry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30868557

Maybe micro-breweries are the way to go in future.

Quality beer, reasonably priced, with a 'local' flavour.

I remember hearing about a tour around the brewery at Burton On Trent some years ago when someone asked about which beer they made. They were told about 6 different brands including Fosters, Carslberg, Molson etc.

Much to everyone's suprise.

When pressed about how they were different from each other, the guide said 'well it's very subtle' (!)

I guess the label is assumed to be more important than the contents.

• Upvote 1

The new Shippos bitter is really quite palatable. It is not as sharp tasting as I recall it but my first Shippos was many decades ago. It is certainly a very pleasant beer indeed. All to the credit of the new brewers.

As is often my view, you only really appreciate Nottingham when you move away. My favourite microbrewery is the one at the Plough in Radford. As I brew my own ales I talk with those guys frequently when I am down in Nottingham and they are extremely helpful. I did ask for some yeasts and they said how many kilos do you want!!!! I needed about 100 grams! Nice guys and very knowledgable.

Nottingham Brewery Phil Derby I take barrels of Nottingham Legend to Devon to our social club and the Devonians love it,

Look up the Bishop Nick Brewery in Braintree. It's just up the road from me and hasn't been going long. The beer is fantastic, why? because it's Nick Ridley from the old local brewery called Ridley's, taken over and totally wiped off the face of the earth by Greene King, hundreds of people thrown out of work due to corporate greed, just like Hardy Hansons. If you happen to be in your local supermarket, take a long hard look at any bottles of Ridley's Old Bob, Oh, brewed in Bury St Edmunds by GK and Co, conning us into thinking it's a local real ale, just like the Hardy Hansons Xmas ale that was being stocked up by Tesco's. They even had the nerve to advertise it on the packaging as the local pubs favourite Xmas ale, it probably was when Hardy Hansons made it.

Conning Rip Off Lying Barstewards.

DO NOT DRINK GREENE KING BEER, THAT GOES FOR THEIR CON BREWS CALLED MORELANDS AND RUDDLES, THEY PRETEND THEY ARE SEPARATE ENTITIES BUT THEY AREN'T.

I've been round the GK brewery, there is no facility for making these beers, it's their usual stuff with an additive to make it taste slightly different, probably from the corporate directors bladders.

• Upvote 1

yes the big corporates have scrapped the brewing industry,with tied pubs with huge rents and tenants only able to buy from the brewing co at inflated prices, they don,t care how many tenants they send to the wall because there is always another mug waiting to lose their savings!

Actually, Theakstones is interesting - aquired by Mathew Brown in 1984 and taken over by Scottish and Newcastle in 1987 but the family bought it back in 2003! It remains under family control! The brewery is worth a visit and they have an excellent "tasting room" at the end of the tour.