Before Victoria Station

The streets and buildings which disappeared under Victoria Station.

The road down the left is Milton St; along the bottom is Parliament St; and up the right it’s Glasshouse & Huntingdon St

Fq8fzX3.jpg

The black arrow marks “Urinal” at the corner of Charlotte Street. It featured in a large number of photos such as this…

S7NDVFr.jpg

...and this, looking down Charlotte St towards Glasshouse St.

IUpGwQP.jpg

• Upvote 15

I have a larger scale map(1/500) of the bottom third of the area.

It's hard to imagine what disappeared when "The Victoria Station" was built

About 1,200 dwellings(back to backs)

The Union workhouse

The ragged school

Saint Stephens church (entrance remained till the 1970s)

A slaughter house

And over twenty public houses :(

The area was considered Nottingham's worst slum area & the Great Central Railway did the city a favour in constructing the railway.

The row of houses in the middle of Parliament Street were demolished around 1885/6 before the railway arrived.

• Upvote 2

Therefore the entrance of Milton Street is where Charlotte Street was.

Don't forget when you are on the ground floor of the Victoria Centre you are about 30 feet above "Rail Level" of the station.

And here's another map

HiRes%20Fowler%20Nott%202.jpg

Is the Mechanics Institute the same building that I remember from my youth?

The Mechanics Institute marked on #1 would have been this place. It was demolished in the early 1960s and replace by Birkbeck House, which has itself been demolished.

mechanic.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mam took me to see 'Gone with the Wind' there..............fell in love with 'Vivien Leigh'...........and 'frankly my dear she didn't give a Damn'............

Me mates mam owned that cinema..ate about Six fruit parfai's one day..never again!!

When I was really small -5 maybe,a beat group called the caveman or mad men appeared.. the place went nuts and I was very scared! My Dad had gone to York and the Brother was ' minding' me...he took me into the snug in The Peacock for an Apollo and crisps.

There is a Vic Station snap in a Nottm book with me in it and the Moulin in the background. Great memories until '72.