40 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   denshaw

denshaw

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• 3,025 posts
  • Local time: 04:30 PM
  • 56 topics

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:17 PM

Nino's could have been the same place as the Bamboo which was opposite the Nags Head.
It's all coming back to me now.

#22 OFFLINE   poohbear

poohbear

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 3,197 posts
  • 148 topics

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:20 PM

The Bamboo was No.157 on the left more or less half way up the hill...you may be talking the same place with a different name.
Paul.

#23 OFFLINE   gadge

gadge

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • 6 topics

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

Ok thanks both, I had a funny feeling abt the Bamboo but wasn't sure. Yes, I too had many an expresso coffe in the Bamboo, my mates
uncle was the owner when it became Nino's - not sure if he owned it as the Bamboo though, he likely did though as I remember my mother
was a frequenter of the joint and we were friends of the family so it seems to tie up. Thanks.
The light at the end of the tunnel is the train.

#24 OFFLINE   Jeff Lewin

Jeff Lewin

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 PM
  • 1 topics

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

where is the Elbow Cafe also mentioned...???

Yes, green cards were a lot easier back in the 70's/ 80's.

Played golf today, it was 68 degree's, should be in the mid 70's this weekend, looks like golf again.

I went to school at Elliott Durham in Mappley, anyone else go there...??

Fish. !tanning!

Hi there Fish ( ??? )
I too went to Elliot Durham. Moving there from Huntingdon St.
It was brand new then. 1966 I believe.
I was in class 4S2. The form teacher was a Mr Gordon, whom I recall being a bit of a snazzy dresser. And who was in some way connected to the "Beachcomber Club" near hockley.
The head boy was a black guy called Vivien Oliver, who was in the same class. The deputy head boy, (Why did they need a deputy ? ) was a kid called Robert Wakelin. Also in my class, and the only one younger than myself.
My brother Alan also went there, but I cannot recall his class number. But believe it to be 3F.
We lived on Westville St, off Peashill Rd.
I shall not bore you any longer. Do let me know when you were there.
Sorry this appears to be a late response to your original question, but I,ve only just joined the forum.
All the best, Jeff.

#25 OFFLINE   Jeff Lewin

Jeff Lewin

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

Mick, here`s a true story from 1960. If the Chinese is the one opposite the entrance to Elm Ave or the Chase or whatever its called(where Hollygirt School is). My mates and I on a Friday lunch used to eat there as a change from College food.
A 3 course fixed menue was 2/6d(yes7 1/2 pence!). On this particular Friday they were very busy and so we left our half crowns under the plate and departed.
2 minutes later we were surrounded by screaming ranting Chinese cooks and waiters with meat cleavers and knives!
We went back with them and showed them where our money was. All quiet.
Heaven knows what would have happened if we really had not paid. !sickly!

I too occasionally went to The Bamboo. I was only about 14 at the time.
One thing I do recall is the juke box in the upstairs section. At the time it was sixpence a go. Though I,ve no idea as to how many "plays" you got for that.
But the two songs that always take me back there are, Hey Jude, The Beatles. And, Those were the days, Mary Hopkin.
The reason being that, as the record being played reached the last few bars, someone would tilt the jukebox forward, causing the stylus to slide noisely to the begining, starting the track all over again. This was repeated untill someone downstairs realised, and charged up, with threats of pulling the plug.
And the mention of Holygirt school also brings back memories of the same period in time, as I was having a fling with the head girl.
Which was quite a result for a lad from Huntingdon St Secondry.
Happy days.

#26 OFFLINE   Joe

Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 10:30 AM
  • 0 topics

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

I'm Robert Fisher, my Mum and Dad, Bob & Maureen owned The Elbow Cafe.

They both live in the States now, in Oklahoma, I also live in Dallas Taxes, we've all been here for over 30 years.

#27 OFFLINE   mick2me

mick2me

Administrator

• Admin
  • 24,652 posts
  • 2,020 topics

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:55 AM

Wecome Joe
Try again with the post.

Never saw Jeffs post untill this BUMP.

Juke Boxes early 70's were 6d for one play, or 3 plays for 1/- as I remember?
That's 2.5 or 5 New Pence!

Cheers

Mick

admin.jpg admin2.gif readingmonkeysmall.gif
All opinions are my own!, who else would want them?
I don't Know much, but what I do know is worth knowing ‹(•¿•)›

#28 OFFLINE   poohbear

poohbear

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 3,197 posts
  • 148 topics

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:33 AM

Yeah.....And MacArthur park by Richard Harris got a lot of play when we were broke...'cos it lasted over seven minutes.

#29 OFFLINE   firbeck

firbeck

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  • 182 topics

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

Yeah.....And MacArthur park by Richard Harris got a lot of play when we were broke...'cos it lasted over seven minutes.

So it was you that used to keep playing that dreadful record, I hated it so much at the time, still do, you must have persued me round every cafe and pub in Nottingham in the 60's. There used to be a reject button on the back of the jukebox in Wollaton Park cafe, if someone put MacArthur Park on, we would sneak over and press the button.
Sorry to digress, I remember the Bamboo well, it was one of those places where when you were about 15 and in our case, couldn't get away with getting served in a pub, seemed a good alternative to being able to sit and observe life, the universe and everything and try to be cool without being thrown out.
Just as an aside, I thought you might like to see this, my grandfathers shop on Mansfield Road, I know it was in the area of the Bamboo, somewhere opposite Huntingdon Street, near the old Trumans Garage, no relation. Off the top of my head, I think it was 117, but I can't remember, though I can find out. Anyway the pic was taken about 1925, thats grandad in the doorway, he died soon after and the business was shut down.

Posted Image

The billboard with ET on it intrigues me.
Actually, I've never put this picture on the computer before, it's quite fascinating to magnify some of the stuff and look at it in detail, I didn't realise that most of it related to betting and horse racing.
If any of you wish to download it and magnify things, I'm quite happy for you to do that.

#30 OFFLINE   Fynger

Fynger

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Admin
  • 8,503 posts
  • 213 topics

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

Great pic....shops nowadays dont seem to stock half as much ( and you cant see all what was inside )
Kev.

Have you hugged your Banjo today ?

#31 OFFLINE   Ashley

Ashley

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 4,757 posts
  • 233 topics

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

2 things I remember from memories in this posting, Re Mr Gordon, we had one at Claremont 1960, think 1st name Keith but known to one and all as Flash! Only young and bald as a billiard ball, later taught at Ellis where he organised a band M15 with him singing, used to play at Basford Social and we'd go and take the **** out of them, Mention of juke boxes also brings a memory, We'd tried to go to Scotland 1970 on motorbike, got as far as doncaster and crank pin broke! left bike at a cafe on A1 and picked up later in week,believe it or not in back of A35 car (snapped the sill doing it) Anyway whilst at cafe we had a couple of tea's and my mate kept putting House of the rising sun by Frigid Pink on juke box, after about 4 times one after the other, a Scottish lorry driver who bore distinct resemblence to Desperate Dan and sat next to speaker having his dinner sort of had a fit and shook juke box growling something like "Grr that's enough o tha f******* row hoots mon the noo etc" (imagine it from bearded ginger man mountain and in scots gutteral accent!!!) exit gingerly 2 young bikers!

#32 OFFLINE   littlebro

littlebro

MEGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 1,783 posts
  • 79 topics

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:27 PM

Posted Image

Best photo of the month!

Off course cash betting was not allowed in the 20's but shops like this may have taken credit bets. The bill boards seem to advertise "bookmakers successes". E.T. may have been a bookmaker as did the other billboards.

Fascinating! Any more?
"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint" ~ Mark Twain

#33 OFFLINE   Serry

Serry

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • 0 topics

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:13 PM

Very few Newsagents would risk accepting illegal bets from customers but they often sold weekly tips (on commission) in little sealed envelopes supplied by tipsters such as E.T.

E.T. is boasting of large SP wins that he has previously tipped. Another tipster, Harry Hall has his own wins on another placard

"E.T." is probably an abbreviation for something like "Early Tissue" - (a tissue was the printed list of runners that the bookmaker puts on his board with the odds in chalk against each runner).

P.S. It's a wonderful photograph capturing a lost moment in time.

#34 OFFLINE   Beefsteak

Beefsteak

• Guests
  • 1 posts
  • 669 topics

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

And loads of sewing patterns !! I love the one with a 'flapper' on it saying "Homemade Hats"
Presenter: Which is the largest Spanish-speaking country in the world?
Contestant: Barcelona .
Presenter: I was really after the name of a country.
Contestant: I'm sorry, I don't know the names of any countries in Spain .

#35 OFFLINE   richardfbrown

richardfbrown

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 AM
  • 3 topics

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:54 AM

the bamboo was on the east side of Mansfield road (left as you go out of town)
wasn't Nino's on Alfreton Road near Canning Circus?

#36 OFFLINE   EileenH

EileenH

Advanced Nottstalgian

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • 18 topics

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

Coffee Bars! Brilliant, especially if they had a Jukebox. Went to the 49 and the Toreador when I went to the Tech in the early sixties (very early 60s!).
Oh the joys of frothy coffee! In those days it seemed to me that pubs were for grownups who played darts and/or drank Cherry Bs. Oh, except for the Sal!

#37 OFFLINE   markie

markie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 10:30 AM
  • 0 topics

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

Hi ...I'm a new member...A cafe I recall as a kid, was further along mansfield Rd, in Sherwood..in fact- opposite the bus depot (if that still exists). It was called the "Trilby" and had a neon sign, of a hat.

#38 ONLINE   denshaw

denshaw

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• 3,025 posts
  • 56 topics

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

Hi Markie,i remember that Cafe. It was on the corner of Marshall St, it then became Darvoods Pizza shop. Its been empty for years now.

Den.
It's all coming back to me now.

#39 OFFLINE   carltongal

carltongal

MEGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• MEMBER OFFLINE
  • 468 posts
  • 11 topics

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

Hi Markie,i remember that Cafe. It was on the corner of Marshall St, it then became Darvoods Pizza shop. Its been empty for years now.

Den.

I remember the Elbow Cafe its been turned into houses now

#40 OFFLINE   Stu

Stu

GIGA NOTTSTALGIAN

• Members
  • 4,827 posts
  • 262 topics

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

The billboard with ET on it intrigues me.
Actually, I've never put this picture on the computer before, it's quite fascinating to magnify some of the stuff and look at it in detail, I didn't realise that most of it related to betting and horse racing.
If any of you wish to download it and magnify things, I'm quite happy for you to do that.

I was reading a book of old Nottingham tales and came across the name of a local horse racing tipster known as 'Tommy Tittlemouse'. Now I remember my mum using this name when I was a kid and I wonder if anyone else has heard of it?

My Blog:

THE TEARS OF A CLOWN