Still at school at Claremont, some mates had planned a visit to the Dungeon, Easter monday 1966, and i was invited. Now being under the required 16 minimum age, although i looked as if i was, i was let in as a guest.
Never having been to a club before, hey i was 14!, i didnt know what to expect.
The decor was mod op art/ mary Quant style, and very dark, it was before the multi million pound lighting thing had come about, and the sound.....it was to me totally awesome! Id never heard bass like that before, and it was soooo loud! ( i recall 4 x18" goodmans speakers on what looked like a wooden panel supplying the bass) but, the music they were playing was to change my taste from the regular pop served up on Radios Caroline and London, to what is still my favourite today.
I dont recall hearing The Isley Brothers before then, but the first song i heard in there was This old heart of mine, and that was it, my taste in music was changed, to the mix of soul and motown played there.
Id be pleased to hear form others who went there, in fact, during my year on 106 Century fm, i had a phone call from a guy who used The Fox in Sneinton as his regular, and bumped into one of the Dungeon "faces" Kenny Astle, who back then looked like keith Richards of The Stones.
Does anyone remember the following? : Sedge, Gabby, Big Eddy, Pete Lemon, Pete Blood, Chris Nickols, Graham Asher, "the mini boys" and little Eric ? and im sure everyone knows Stu Morris!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure everyone knows Stu Morris!

Stu is a Nottingham Character.

The first time I saw him was in the 60's, when the (trolley) buses ran past C&A's in town, I saw him running along side the bus, in his school uniform, with a satchell on his back.

He used to keep the Peggers (pretty windows)

I think he had a security company in Colwick.

He ran a door minding business, and I beleive he may have been a bodyguard for

a famouse pop group at one stage.

My ex brother in law was his best mate may years ago.

I think he may now be living in spain, tho I could be wrong?

Just in case there is anyone in Nottingham, that does not know him,

I attached a POLL.

Methginks it would not be a good idea to tick the final box unless qualified.

Are you out there Stu?

• Upvote 1

Pete Blood lives not far from me not seen him in a while he was working has a tree doctor and fell out of a tree which paralyzed him , he spent some time out in Russia having some treatment from some Russian circus strongman who had , had the same type injuries as him , and regained some feeling and movement .

I believe it was Bulwells Reg Perry who helped raise money to send him , they had a big due at the commodore with Barry St.Ives and loads of other Nottm acts.

Stu Morris below .

stu-morris.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mick, was your ex brother in law called Jan (Yan)? way back in the Dungeon days, Stu knocked around with Jan, who became a butcher, at least for a short time, around 1967, and yep, the Dungeon became, 8 till late, and The Big Apple, but werent the Ad Lib and Kool kat in the Lace Market? And getting off the 43, which went on to Trent bridge, at the stop near C and A, what was the name of the pub opposite? i know a lot of the Dungeon regulars used it, as well as the Children, Sal, and the Trip.

• Upvote 1

No my ex Brother in law was Graham 'Dusty' Mapleston, I do Know Yan, and his wife Sue (My Ex wifes friend). Cant think of Yans last name for the life of me (age?).

They were last known running the Elwys Arms, Oakdale Road.

Small world innit?

• 11 months later...

Pletsky springs to mind Mick

Why do I know Dusty (We must have met)?

Any relation to Steff ( the gents barber at the bottom of Carlton road?)

Pletsky is not the name, but it is polish, Yan Dusty and Stu have been mates

for many years.

When our Stu joined, I though it was Stu Morris.

Of course you know Dusty, Stef is his wife.

I drove past the shop last week, as I got past, I thought I dont remember seeing it?

Is it Gone?

It was there on Saturday Mick .I saw Steff through the window and would have stopped but I was pushed for time

Mick, was your ex brother in law called Jan (Yan)? way back in the Dungeon days, Stu knocked around with Jan, who became a butcher, at least for a short time, around 1967, and yep, the Dungeon became, 8 till late, and The Big Apple, but werent the Ad Lib and Kool kat in the Lace Market? And getting off the 43, which went on to Trent bridge, at the stop near C and A, what was the name of the pub opposite? i know a lot of the Dungeon regulars used it, as well as the Children, Sal, and the Trip.

See now, Jan has wriiten to me on the message board on Mary's show - and I do remember him vaguely (everything is vaguely). Apparently we drank two-and-a-half bottles of scotch one Christmas (how could we do that and he remembers - although I do remember the hangover) Can anyone tell me more about him?

I recall knocking around with him on a few occasions, one of which was just when he got his job as a butcher, or apprentice/trainee at least.

I remember standing outside the coop on Hucknall rd, not Edwards lane as i wrote earlier. so maybe thats where he got the job?..........long time ago!!!!!

See now, Jan has wriiten to me on the message board on Mary's show - and I do remember him vaguely (everything is vaguely). Apparently we drank two-and-a-half bottles of scotch one Christmas (how could we do that and he remembers - although I do remember the hangover) Can anyone tell me more about him?

Wriiten to you on a message board on Mary's Show?

Have you been on the Harvest Pale?

Wriiten to you on a message board on Mary's Show?

Have you been on the Harvest Pale?

I put Charlie onto a site for a northern soul show, where they have a message board, hes not mental, its ok! !inthebin!

• 2 months later...
Still at school at Claremont, some mates had planned a visit to the Dungeon, Easter monday 1966, and i was invited. Now being under the required 16 minimum age, although i looked as if i was, i was let in as a guest.

Never having been to a club before, hey i was 14!, i didnt know what to expect.

The decor was mod op art/ mary Quant style, and very dark, it was before the multi million pound lighting thing had come about, and the sound.....it was to me totally awesome! Id never heard bass like that before, and it was soooo loud! ( i recall 4 x18" goodmans speakers on what looked like a wooden panel supplying the bass) but, the music they were playing was to change my taste from the regular pop served up on Radios Caroline and London, to what is still my favourite today.

I dont recall hearing The Isley Brothers before then, but the first song i heard in there was This old heart of mine, and that was it, my taste in music was changed, to the mix of soul and motown played there.

Id be pleased to hear form others who went there, in fact, during my year on 106 Century fm, i had a phone call from a guy who used The Fox in Sneinton as his regular, and bumped into one of the Dungeon "faces" Kenny Astle, who back then looked like keith Richards of The Stones.

Does anyone remember the following? : Sedge, Gabby, Big Eddy, Pete Lemon, Pete Blood, Chris Nickols, Graham Asher, "the mini boys" and little Eric ? and im sure everyone knows Stu Morris!

Hi just found this forum on The Dungeon Club..does anyone have any photo's taken either inside or outside the club...would love to see them if you do...I still have my Dungeon Club membership card...and a Vespa scooter!!!..also reference the bit about Radio Caroline..I managed to get on board both the North and South ships..still listen to Radio Caroline but on the internet these days

Pete C

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised that no one has mentioned the massive drug raid on the Dungeon in the mid sixties, it made headline news with scores of revellers being arrested, I made one brief visit there with a mate but very soon discovered it was not for the leather clad biker that we were back then, we soon made a sharp exit kickme

Not seen Stu around town for some years now, I remember around 1992 when I used to pass the Peggers on the way to Colwick there would be a crowd of around 300 gathered outside drinking, this was roughly 7am on a Saturday morning!! anyone know what that was all about?

Not seen Stu around town for some years now, I remember around 1992 when I used to pass the Peggers on the way to Colwick there would be a crowd of around 300 gathered outside drinking, this was roughly 7am on a Saturday morning!! anyone know what that was all about?

A lot of the more active Forest lads used meet up early doors for away matches @ peggers , i can still see Paul Scarrott climbing on board a mini bus draped in the union jack with 4 pints .

Is/was Paul Scarrot the football supporter with FOREST tattooed inside his bottom lip? or am I on the wrong track entirely

Thats him. The self proclaimed worlds biggest football hooligan!!

I can tell a tale or two but personal message only

A lot of the more active Forest lads used meet up early doors for away matches @ peggers , i can still see Paul Scarrott climbing on board a mini bus draped in the union jack with 4 pints .

Nah, Im a Forest lad mesen I would of known, besides 7am you wouldnt be down there at that time for a 3pm kick off where ever the match was, besides they were also there during the close season, must of been the traders in those avenues, veg suppliers etc.

Oh and Scarrot was a wimp without his ickle kiddies in tow...

besides 7am you wouldnt be down there at that time for a 3pm kick off where ever the match was

bu99er ........ I knew i was doing something wrong i used to go @ 2pm on a Friday when the Dog & Bear shut .... in my younger days .

The Peggers, if some folk didnt know, was Stu's pub for a while, most used to still call it "Pretty Windows"

Coincidence time then, at last months Regency doo in Ilson, Stu's mate Jan (Yan!) came to see me, he too was one of the regulars at The Dungeon, and it must have been 1967 when I last saw him!

Re the Dungeon membership cards, I still have mine, except it wasnt mine, as I was underage, I managed to get hold of one of the white ones, cant remember how, and changed the name on it to Craig Benson.......dont ask me why i picked that surname! and wrapped sellotape around it, thinking it would be harder to notice it had been doctored! I also had one of the orange ones somewhere, didnt Mick Parker change them to that colour when psychedelia had just become popular?

I was at the club the night the police raided it, The Drifters were supposed to be on I recall (maybe incorrectly, but those blue things that kept you awake clouded my memory!) I do remember lots of girls who, like me, were not old enough to be there, and the police phoned their parents, to get them taken home, with some explaining to do!

Why do I recall a double decker bus being outside the club that night? Maybe the police used it for questioning folk.....? Or had the band come in it..... I cant remember if they actually appeared on stage that night

Anyways, great times!