Curry houses in Nottm

Started my addiction to Asian food early 70's. working next door to The New Taj Mahal, on Goldsmith st, moving onto the 3 others mentioned above, as well as just about all the others in Nottingham. Anyone else have memories of them?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Radfordred, you should write a food column in the Post ...... I'll check your reviews before I book a table at any Nottingham restaurant in future!

Thats interesting to know as Royce was my half brother and he actually went back to Bangladesh i guess in those days it would have been East Paklstan and  sadly died poor and destitute in about 2002  

For me, the finest Indian restaurant from the late 70s and early 80s was Laguna Tandoori on Mount Street. I visited the place a couple of moths ago, and the menu hadn't changed. It doesn't need to.

• 2 weeks later...

one of them two brothers also involved one of them not the full shilling

Shucks Den you are so clever............! Don't you think I already did that? I want a personal recipe for Taaka Daal !hungry! me duck..........is that better?

Yeah it's delish,lots of Lentils & roast garlic,some spices all boiled up together it's absolutely gorgeous & very satisfying like Risotto & pasta ,you know the sort of dish that gives you a nice feeling in your belly. thumbsup

Yeah it's delish,lots of Lentils & roast garlic,some spices all boiled up together it's absolutely gorgeous & very satisfying like Risotto & pasta ,you know the sort of dish that gives you a nice feeling in your belly. thumbsup

Any Indian dish does it for me!!! lips0

I think it's Taaka Dhal Craig?? got the recipe from my son in Nottm,i'm going to make it when the weather is a little cooler,you should try it,it's delicious lips0

one of them two brothers also involved one of them not the full shilling

don't know what I had been doing when I wrote this gibberish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what I meant to say was that there were three brothers one of the brothers was called NuNu he was more the business brain I can't remember the name of the one who was the manager but the third brother( who wasn't the full shilling) was more of a goffer.

• 7 months later...

Well, there are three curry houses that I remember.

One was the Golden Curry just down below the railway station on Arkwright Street. This closed down when the meadows was demolished. I can still remember the rats running across the table while I tucked into my medium prawn and mushroom. That's how it came then - mild, medium or hot.

There was also one up on Alfreton (?) road and I think it was owned by the same guys that owned starline taxis - one of the owners was Koli (?)

Then there was another one down blow Pharoahs on Broadway (?). It was the one everyone used after the clubs had shut and i was always p...d by then so I'm not even sure what it was called.

Cheers,

Charlie

The Golden Curry on Arkwright street was owned by 'Something' Miah, I went to Trent Bridge School with his Son David Miah, (Where is he now?)

See trent Bridge School Pictures.

Yes He also owned a Restaraunt on Alfreton Rd. LHS opposite the Taj Mahal (TM may have been the first in Nottm?)

The Golden Curry on Arkwright street was owned by 'Something' Miah, I went to Trent Bridge School with his Son David Miah, (Where is he now?)

Yes He also owned a Restaraunt on Alfreton Rd. LHS opposite the Taj Mahal (TM may have been the first in Nottm?)

The Purple Elephant? I seem to remember they got busted by the food inspectors for putting meat of "unknown provenance" in their meals. !inthebin!

The Purple Elephant? I seem to remember they got busted by the food inspectors for putting meat of "unknown provenance" in their meals. !inthebin!

I think Purple elephants are what everyone could see by the time they got there - thumbsup

So it may have been called that!

I remember they did serve a lot of chicken legs, so I stuck to prawns - which looked like very large silverfish!

I picked a fight with a guy in there one night - a very big one. I told him to take the first hit! They tell me I cleared three tables before hitting the wall. isitsafe

Great curry house though!

I think he was the guy who opened the restaurant on Alfreton road - could it be?

Yes He also owned a Restaurant on Alfreton Rd. LHS opposite the Taj Mahal (TM may have been the first in Nottm?)

The Miah family (Whether its the same one or not) owned the Arboretum pub, Tivolis and the Mogul-E-Azam

Its not the same Miah family at Mogal, two brothers?

Miah is a common Name, and in the days of Curry & Grill the owner was called Miah,

Also there was Riaz Khan (Ken) who many wil know.

The waiter was Abdul "Thank you Sir... Thank You Siiiir"

From 77-9 we did the C+G FIVE NIGHTS A WEEK every week until I took some tart in sober one night and actually saw the cutlery. Saw the Clifton pisshead face down in the nosh at least four times - fourth being the time when they woke him up and then chased him round the table for money or the food back, but he'd decided to scoff it and drink his lager on the hoof.

So then they played the trump card and called the huge chef out to get rid of him and he quickly switched personality chased the terrified chef back into the kitchen. He - Tony - then soon re-emerged and with a stunned look on his face and reported that the chef, Ken and Ab had all legged it out the back and left him to babysit a sixty year old stani who was sitting bollok naked in the sink, rolling a fag and washing his seven foot long hair while the chickens were rinsing away next to him. The law were called but Tony had legged it and waited round the corner until the law had bolloked the staff for wasting their time and buggered off, whereupon he returned to threaten them all again. Sadly, a tasty cousin was now with them and waiting behind the door and sparked him clean out and he lay for the next hour in the gutter, staring in at the door( still unconscious) and as new customers came in, we were able to get constant updates on his status.

Naturally, prior to this, we had trained from novices at the New Bengal ( Johnnys) opp the ice stadium, which was without doubt the grim reaper of all curries. Five grades: Korma(puff) vindaloo(novice or puff) madras(youll do for me) ceylon(KIIINELLL! TOP LAD!) and of course SPECIAL CEYLON (mystery, as no-one ever dared go there) all available in veg, meat, chicken, prawn, king prawn. Then ther was the tandoori range(uh? yerwhat? SUMMMARRRER WI YER? A TANDOOOOOREHH? YER CAAAAAANT TEKKKKITT!)Toilet in constant rotational use for the seven of us courtesy of Muss's mum - 48 Hungerhill rd every sunday morning 10-12.

An if yer tell kids o today that, thee dont believe yer

the ackchul xxxxxxxxx

I'm pretty sure that the Golden was originally The Star of India, because it was owned by the dad of a dear mate of mine -Siraj Udin-Houssain and it was actually as thus the first curry house in NOTTINGHAM. Remember guying opposite and the waiters giving us half crown to p1$$ off. To the Hong Kong oppo and up a bit.

Did anyone see The Curry Lounge in Upper Parliament Street on Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares last night ?

Or indeed been ?

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayN...tentPK=19240233

Nice to see Shedfixman back , read your interview in left lion .

http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/id/1051

• 6 months later...
The Miah family (Whether its the same one or not) owned the Arboretum pub, Tivolis and the Mogul-E-Azam

Does anyone remember the small indian resteraunt that was on the back road from Clumber street ? On the corner is the Thirland hotel. The indian was a few shops down opposite old Nat west bank? I remember being in this place for a curry one night possibly in 1986, the place was quite full when all of a sudden a plate of curry came flying across the room and skimmed our table, smashed up the wall and left curry across at least 3 other tables - this was thrown by some women. I was livid because the waitors did nothing and neither did anyone else, I was indignant about paying for the meal as it was't that great anyway. The chaps [friends only] I was with thought it was hilarious[ needless to say I didn't go to diner with them again]. Anyone remember the name of this place? I think it was there for years

The infamous "Poo Nam" would be the name you are searching for. Frequented by yours truely and Mick2me on many an evening in the 80's/ 90's

Loads of similar tales to tell when I/ we have the time. Early night tonight ,long drive in the morning.