Shops etc on Goldsmith Street

During the early 70's, i worked on Goldsmith st, at premises formerly Nottingham Tape Recorders, ( NTR) next door, away from town was a curry house, The New Taj Mahal, where i sampled my first ever proper curry (not Vesta!)

There was also The Ace book store, which sold naughty mags and films, as well as being a good place to source ska music.

Just before The County Hotel was a sweet shop, the name of which ive forgotten, along with other shops, that im damned if i can remember.....can you fill in the gaps?

Just across from there,on Wollaton st, was Joes cafe, where a "one up" (pie, peas and chips was 10p! It was run by.surprise surprise, a man called Joe, who was a bit hard of hearing, and would usually respond to anything said to him with "EH??????"

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Guildhall Tavern was one of my first drinking holes. Good Kimberley ale. Saw many of the acting fraternity in the early 60's. Another great pub gone, and replaced by a raucous chavvy tipĀ 

Been out for lunch with my sister today and we were discussing dentists. She reminded me that in the 1960s, she went to a dentist on Goldsmith Street. I once went there too. His name was Roland H Faur

Virgin Records are listed in the Nottingham telephone directory for 1976 as being at 7, King Street. The 1980 directory has them at 21 Clumber Street. And i fondly remember using both Virgin record

And what about the Trick Shop - was it the 4 Aces?

Sign Of 4. Yep, i remember that one, and wasnt there Rileys snooker hall too?

I remember the snooker hall, and the other one under the Evening Post building. Geez, those tables seemed huge all those years ago.

Ayup Frank,

Went to that sign of four shop in the early 70s to buy some plastic flies, When the guy opened the box they were stored in the box was empty, I said "it looks like they've flown off" The guy in the shop just said "No, we've sold out" I brought a furry spider and left!!!

Rog

Ayup Frank,

Went to that sign of four shop in the early 70s to buy some plastic flies, When the guy opened the box they were stored in the box was empty, I said "it looks like they've flown off" The guy in the shop just said "No, we've sold out" I brought a furry spider and left!!!

Rog

We used to go in there after the Saturday morning pictures (Gaumont - on Wollaton St) (sp?) and buy stink bombs then we used to go into the Co-op and drop them from the top floor down the staircase - he he.

Oh, happy days smile2

And there was a sit in / take out chippy on Wollaton St next to the cinema where me mam used to take us sometimes on a Saturday when we had to go to the school uniform shop on Friar Lane

You've forgotten Stock's driving school, with the model car in the window, Selectadisc and North Midland Stationers. Further round there was Jack Brentnall's music shop on Theatre Square.

The very infrequent No 2 bus had its terminus on Goldsmith Street.

Ayup Frank,

Rog

We used to go in there after the Saturday morning pictures (Gaumont - on Wollaton St) (sp?) and buy stink bombs then we used to go into the Co-op and drop them from the top floor down the staircase - he he.

Oh, happy days smile2

And there was a sit in / take out chippy on Wollaton St next to the cinema where me mam used to take us sometimes on a Saturday when we had to go to the school uniform shop on Friar Lane

Was it a very strange elderly couple that ran sign of 4...?

I remember buying stink bombs/ fake plastic dog turds and leaving 'em in the entrance to vicky centre.

Was the school uniform shop called 'blacks'? or have i got the wrong end of town?

The sweetshop wasn't Watmough's, was it?

ooh... I can vaguely remember watmough's...?

If I were a good little lad, me mam would take me there, which probably explains why i can vaguely remember it...!!!

!hungry!

How the hell could i forget Selectadisc?!?! I used to spend most of my hard earned in there, and knew all the staff,from Brian Selby (owner) down......And Stocks were opposite where i worked, and had the cars parked on the street, back when we could park for free.

Was the school uniform shop called 'blacks'? or have i got the wrong end of town?

Dixon & Parker....

Now known as D&P and located on Maid Marian Way..

Bloody expensive - as ever!

Cheers

Robt P.

Does anyone remember the name of the gas appliance shop that was on the corner of Goldsmith Street and Talbot Street? It's now a bar (not the Spread Eagle).

And going back even further what was that building the home of until the early 60s?

Dixon & Parker....

Now known as D&P and located on Maid Marian Way..

Bloody expensive - as ever!

Cheers

Robt P.

That's the one, cheers rob...!

!cheers!

How the hell could i forget Selectadisc?!?!Ā  I used to spend most of my hard earned in there, and knew all the staff,from Brian Selby (owner) down......And Stocks were opposite where i worked, and had the cars parked on the street, back when we could park for free.

Wow selectadisc..... one of the very last record shops with character and staff who were actually interested in their jobs 'n actually knew what they were talking about.

Was it not selectadisc that was one of the only record shops to defy the government ban and sell 'Never Mind The B######s, Here's The Sex Pistols'? Well when i say sell, i mean advertise it in the window aswell...!

My sister's boyfriend had to buy my copy as i was too young at the time lol.

Was it the old Playhouse, before the new one was built near the cathedral? I went to the playhouse on a school outing to see Macbeth. Bored me to death.

Does anyone remember the name of the gas appliance shop that was on the corner of Goldsmith Street and Talbot Street? It's now a bar (not the Spread Eagle).

And going back even further what was that building the home of until the early 60s?

Crap! i can see it in my minds eye! did it have a 2 part name, you know, like Griffin and Spalding had? I seem to recall a mate worked there.............hmm......now ive said about its name....im not sure about the 2 part bit..................oh Boll*x!!! I used to walk by it when i had to park my car down the road where the grave yard was/is.

Was it Reynolds?

In the 70s wasn't Virgin at the bottom of King's Street just up from Gauntley's?

Virgin were never there, they were always where they are now, not opening a retail store in Nottingham until the 80's i actually did an outside broadcast from the shop when it first opened, fronted by my then colleague Erica Hughes, and his highness Richard Branson was in attendance

As for a record shop in that area, i actually managed what was my former workplace Dixons, as a shop that sold off all the old records,cassettes, and 8 tracks that the other Dixons couldnt move, could that have been it?

.....i actually managed what was my former workplace Dixons, as a shop that sold off all the old records,cassettes, and 8 tracksĀ  that the other Dixons couldnt move.......

Dixon's also earned a reputation for selliing off second hand and 'reclaimed' items whilst purporting to be NEW!

Muggins here got caught out twice...with a radio and a Pace TV top set box.

Their standard defence being "Prove it!".........knowing that you couldn't!

Trading Standards didn't want to know, for the same reason; reckon they had a Dixon's file about 2 feet thick.

Cheers

Robt P.

In the 70s wasn't Virgin at the bottom of King's Street just up from Gauntley's?

Virgin were never there, they were always where they are now, not opening a retail store in Nottingham until the 80's i actually did an outside broadcast from the shop when it first opened, fronted by my then colleague Erica Hughes, and his highness Richard Branson was in attendance

As for a record shop in that area, i actually managed what was my former workplace Dixons, as a shop that sold off all the old records,cassettes, and 8 tracks that the other Dixons couldnt move, could that have been it?

Sorry Craig but Virgin were at No 7 King St from about 73 onwards. The shop closed in 78-79. They reopened on Clumber Street in the early 80s.