Nice one Pete, looks a nice plot and even when it's all dug and things are growing it's just nice to sit there and look back on all the hard work that's gone into it, any plans to put glass on it or just keep to the bedding plots?

Rog

if my post gets taken down why is it then that firbecks can stay?????

he insults me at every corner and i have no recourse, all seems a little lob sided if you ask me.

Why is it, Brian, that you feel you can sling insults and innuendo, but whenever it comes back at you, all you do is cry foul? You have all the makings of being a classic bully - all talk, but as soon as you become the target you run crying to the teacher! Come to think of it, you behave in EXACTLY the same manner as a banned member used to behave! Oddly, he too was a Panthers supporter, and had knowledge of local curry houses. The similarities are uncanny!

Probably identical twins Eric. !rotfl!

36, I can't see why firbecks action re: allotments should be ridiculed and belittled by someone who it would appear spends most of his time either sitting at a computer or filling his face with curry, I'm sure when firbeck sit's at his computer he will have something constructive to write about for the interest of others and if he has had a meal of curry beforehand I'm sure it would have been with the freshest of ingredients from his allotment.

Post interesting or constructive stuff on the site please we had enough of personal pi$$ taking only a few months ago and it didn't do the site any good at all

Rog

Don't bother Rog, the man clearly has problems and will perhaps benefit from some treatment.

We're concerned about the weather today, it's been raining so much this week that even the soft deep soil on the allotment is likely to be unworkable, we've trayfulls of spuds waiting to go in as well as other things to plant out, I'm going to leave my early broad beans in their growbag in the greenhouse, they seem happy enough in there. Meanwhile all our cabbage plants have died, apparently it's happened to quite a few people, nurturing them in the warm has caused them to grow too quickly and they've literally burnt themselves out.

Liz is calling in on the allotment to check the conditions up there on her way back from the stables, whatever it's like, there's heavy rain forecast for today and tomorrow, not good.

The appropriate shed doesn't appear on the pictures, it's on the edge of the site next to a wall, perfect spot if you're desperate, apparently this shed is up for grabs and as it's more or less next to our plot, we're going to have words at the next commitee meeting.

Best to keep off the soil if you can while it`s waterlogged. It only gets compacted.

I`ve got half my spuds in and the rest will have to wait.

My broad beans went into root trainers and they`ll be quite happy for a week or so until they can go in

My overwintering broad beans - usually hardy - were killed by the extreme weather this winter.

Ooh ah! Well, Oi think the arnswer loys in the soil! :0)

We had to abandon any thoughts of going over there today, the weather was too bad, and now at nearly 7:00pm it's lovely. I may not get over there at all as I had a phone call earlier to say my mothers had a few problems and I will probably have to shoot up to Nottingham.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that sticking out of a pile of overgrown rubble next to our plot are sections of an Anderson Air Raid Shelter, if it's all lying about in the undergrowth it will make a great shed, ever tried to move one, they're as heavy as hell, very heavy gauge corrugated steel, I could hang up me steel helmet and gas mask in there though, just in case.

Anderson Air Raid Shelter, it's all lying about in the undergrowth it will make a great shed, ever tried to move one, they're as heavy as hell, very heavy gauge corrugated steel,

Well Duhh!! , there's a clue in the name !!!...............rotfl.gif What I mean is, if they were light they wouldn't be much use as an air raid shelter !!

My old man (Whom I may have mentioned else where, regarding gardening) swore by manure, the smellier the better (I swore at the smell of it, but he swore by it!!)

Every year, muggins here got roped in to shovel 10 tons of freshly delivered shit (And I make no apologies for the profanity) off of the road through the allotments and on to his shit heap!! 'cause it was always dumped about 200 feet away, as it was the nearest the delivery lorry could get!!

It was usually got from the mushroom farm ( long since defunct) down Cemetery Road in Carlton, I don't think he paid much (If owt) for it, as they were glad to see it gone once they'd had their crop off of it.

An extra bonus was that a lot of the mushroom spores preferred the outdoor (Free range) life , and decided to sprout on my dads allotment instead, thus giving us a good few pounds of buckshie 'mushies' every week!! which were "Traded" for other folks wares (Never cash ,"As that wouldn't be right ") A couple of Leeks here; a Turnip or maybe a red Cabbage there; stuff my dad didn't grow, but was edible and made a change to us!!

• Upvote 1

We`ve got a very useful shed made from an Anderson Shelter on our plot. It`s open on one side but it`s good for storing stuff like spare hoses, seed trays etc that don`t need security. Others on the site have them tarted up, painted in different colours with nice little doors.

I really must get to grips with taking those new-fangled digital photographs, then I could show you.

Re. manure; my old man had a deal with Roland Hoggard, of St. Pancras clock fame. Dad used to send down all his old cabbage and brussels stalks for Roland's motley collection of goats, and received a barrow-load of manure in return.

Having been press-ganged into making the trip more than a few times, I often wished that Roland's place was further up the slope than ours as the return load was of course much heavier! ;)

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...

This has been one of those on & off threads & is the first time I have come across it (I think ;))

I have had a allotment for just over ten years now.

It measures about 300sq yards & the rental is £28 (concessions)

I grow most common vegetables except sprouts.

And I can't wait for the new growing season(keeps me out of trouble ;))

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

This is a photo of my maternal Grandad probably with his Allotment buddies, he's top far right of pic.  It would have been taken when he was single and before WW1 I think, when he was living on Sneinton Boulevard or Loughborough Avenue.  Wonder what the 6/8 sign refers to?  I've posted on this topic as I think it's an allotment society photo, any other suggestions?Grandad%20Croft_zps5nvlstru.jpg

• Upvote 3

Well what a wonderful pic and what a question!

I reckon it is a money question eg 6s 8d  because otherwise it would be 3/4.

On the other hand it could be 6 out of 8 and there are 8 in the pic.

I haven't got clever graphics but someone might be able to decipher the label about  ?????? IV   Box

Are they disgruntled miners moaning about rate of pay? There is something (miners lamp?)  perched on top of the "box"

Are they dissatisfied with the amount of booze in the two salt glaze containers presumably purchased for 6/8 ??

Who knows?

I think that it says 'William IV BOX (could be HOX, but that doesn't make sense). That must be a pub. On top of the box is what I think is one of those old lemonade bottles with a glass ball under pressure as a stopper. Alongside of it is an item that I think could be the plunger to break the gas pressure seal by pushing the glass ball down.

The 6/8 has to be money. The WHAT FOR does not have a question mark after it, so is it asking a question or not?

WHAT FOR is written on what looks like card that has been folded to make it stand up.

They are all wearing their Sunday best with a button hole, so they have taken part in some kind of competition, I would imagine.