• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't know until my sister told me this weekend that my mother's family had Chinese blood mixed in there somewhere. I knew that my mother's maiden name was Wing but never realised  about the Chines

http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/ The above is a free website. You just have to register. It lists convicts and dates of conviction. My 3X great grandfather had 3 elder brothers who were d

Thanks for the link....and yes,my lot were all in the hosiery and lace trade until the 1900s.This is my Great Great Grandfathers family in this 1861 census printout....Even the eight and eleven year o

Thanks guys. Mums name was Louie Florence Whitby 24.5.12., born 137 Beech Ave Radford.

Granddad is a mystery because no one ever spoke about him. I have my suspicions why, but it would be good to put the record straight.

I saw that Ann , too .

A year before in 1911 the Cheshires are living at 1 Francis St off Walter St. NOTTM , including 24 year old Hannah Elizabeth . (Louie's mum )

They were a Gedling / Burton Joyce family originally before moving into town .

Was hoping Walter would be there too but no sign of him ......at least it would confirm his date of birth . Looks like the only way is to get the marriage cert .

Agree with David - you need the marriage cert to get his fathers name (unless he was illegitimate), and age at marriage, hopefully. Then we should be able to find him on census and when he was born, in order to pinpoint his death

As an interesting useless aside .........a Walter Whitby that in lived in Leicester in 1937 was allocated the car registration plate BBC1.

Wonder if the beeb have now got it ?

Looks like granddad had a hurried marriage, since mum was born two months later! Must take up the genealogical challenge and find his background. There was talk of him being Jewish, which I was hoping he was, but with a name like Whitby....?

• Upvote 1

Think so Ernie wise another good Jewish name,if you refer back to the tag trade in nottingham I think you will find the majority were Jewish,and when we were kids I think you will find the majority of the film and tv industry were Jewish,also the majority of the large shops and department stores were Jewish,and also the majority of the jewellery trade were Jewish..Look at the names ,Marks and spencer ,nidd and horsborough ,Jews were massive contributors to British business and still are.

• Upvote 1

Being a total Philistine, I must admit that genealogy is more or less a closed book to me. I take the view that whatever your ancestors and history, you are what you are. My wife has spent many enjoyable hours looking into the subject of her family and I have spent a few boring hours visiting churches etc. looking at grave stones and such, so I know little about either side of my own family and to be honest, I don't really see the point. My grandfather on my mother's side worked at a pit in Derbyshire, which gave me a love of the county after many enjoyable visits. That's about as far as I can, or want, to go.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're local to Nottingham, you can access censuses at libraries for free: City libraries subscribe to FindMyPast, County libraries subscribe to Ancestry. As I recall, City has an hour per week limit on computer use; County is not so restrictive. I expect libraries elsewhere in the UK may offer some form of access.

Take a memory stick and download images.

Alternatively, the Church of Latter Day Saints aka Mormons) have quite extensive records in their Family History Centre in West Bridgford, and computers with access to Ancestry.

In addition, you can order microfilms of parish records for any country in the world.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/

The above is a free website. You just have to register. It lists convicts and dates of conviction. My 3X great grandfather had 3 elder brothers who were deported to Tasmania in 1840 for stealing sheep. The Tasmania records of convicts are amazing. There were no photos for identification but they gave a very clear description of each convict including hair colour, eye colour, shape of face, height and if they can read. Once the convict is discharged it is very difficult to find what happens to them in Tasmania. I hope this site will help me link with others who are researching the same people.

I hope this will be useful to some of our members.

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of mysteries about Rolls-Royce Hucknall employees that over the years I could never get to the bottom of. Decided to push them in Nottstalgian Ann Swaby's way to see if she could do any better. She sure did - mysteries solved in no time. Thank you Ann.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I think quite a lot of info has gone before,I started not knowing what my grandparents were called so it's been interesting and very sad.i have found the Mormon site very helpful and genes reunited where someone picked up my family and helped me out.

The saddest bit is one of my mums relatives lived at the Pearson bleach works along with a huge family,it sounds very bleak.

I found a lot of the family had worked in the leather tanning business in the late 18th and early19th century.it was a huge thing then as well as the lace and hosiery.castle boulevard was a big part in the industry.

Enjoy your journey if I can help let me know,good luck

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Interesting - the surviving children didn't seem to be worried about posing with a dead sibling or even, in one case, with a dead mother. Of course, even today, people often still take photos of a stillborn child...