Nottingham Co-op Temporary store?

The discussions on Alfreton Road shops reminded me.

In the 60s The Nottingham Coop would erect a Temporary store made of wood at selected locations.

Due to its size they would probably only have had one, I would have thought?

I first saw it as a kid, early-mid 60s, on Alfreton Road near to or on the site of the Windmill pub (when was that built?)

This must have been before the Coop Supermarket was built further up Alfreton road, opposite the Generous Brittain.

What was there before that coop was built?

The next time I saw the Temporary store I was working for the Coop as an apprentice electrician.

It was erected on Westdale Lane before we built the New (then) Supermarket.

Does anyone remember this Prefab Coop being sited anywhere else?

What was Jackie Pownalls?

A shop or a yard?

I remember Clifford Court being built there. What was there before the flats were built??

Pownalls was a scrapyard, also bought rags, I seem to recall it may have been on opposite side of the road (corner) to Jersey Kapwood

Thanks Jackson, was the Jersey Kapwood factory on the same street as Radford Baths, I looked on google maps & the baths building still exists, on Highurst street?

Hi Paulus, Radford Baths may have been around the corner from Jersey Kapwood.

Off topic (just a little): I note you live in a lovely part of the world; love the Romney Marshes, the mists . . . a few years back went to see the gorillas and the wolves at Port Lympne - wonderful day!

The first youth club on Farnborough Road Clifton was originally a large wooden building used as a Co-op shop and when the large shop was built they donated the shed to be used as a youth club about 1957/58

The garage was owned by Frank Tatton, early 60's later became a VW garage run by Bob Sherwin, I remember the temp building, used to watch films there on Saturdays

Rog

The discussions on Alfreton Road shops reminded me.

I first saw it as a kid, early-mid 60s, on Alfreton Road near to or on the site of the Windmill pub (when was that built?)

The original Windmill shut some time in the mid 60s the "new" windmill opened in 1966 as a replacement.

According to Douglas Whitworth in his book Nottingham Pubs

So there was a pub there before the new one?

I have a feeling that the Temp Coop was a bit further down Alfreton Road on the same side. Perhaps even next door to the Windmill PH?

Around there was also the Indian Restaurant owned by Mr Miah, father of David Miah. The restaurant name escapes me?

Can't be posh because I've got a connection with it.

The only reason I knew that photo existed is because in my family history research I discovered my grandma was probably born on Ossington Street; and it would've been the last house on the right before the corner (ie above the horse's back end)

A surprise to discover where she was born; even bigger surprise to find a photo (almost) of it.

• 2 weeks later...