The Trinity Square disaster

Planners under fire from council's own leader (Nottingham Evening Post)

MULTI-MILLION pound redevelopment in Nottingham's Trinity Square has been condemned – by the city council's own leader.Coun Jon Collins is so angry he has publicly condemned the design of the public space.

"This is one of the worst pieces of urban design I have seen in the city in 20 years as a councillor," he said.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rebuild the Church and reinstate the Cemetary complete with Graves, (they won't mind) oh yes then the 'Bus stops' number 6 to Bestwood,17 to Bulwell,18 to Edwards lane,and 28 to Bestwood,.........tha

More than sure (well those over 50) can remember sitting in this queue (if you had a car that is?) copper there drive round again.  

ah yes Trinity sq,lovely old church and Graveyard,surrounded by the buses,6,17,18,28,.and all the little shops,mechanics picture house opposite victoria station which was next door to marsdens restuar

When asked why he has not spoken out about sooner, Coun Collins said he is not, nor has he ever been, a member of the planning committee.

He said: "Until it was more or less built, personally I wasn't aware what was going to be built there.

"I wasn't aware of the detail of the development, and I don't think people would expect me to be aware.

As leader of the council Jon Collins should have some idea of what is happening under his nose. He's in charge - but its always someone elses problem. Now he's asking for our ideas [for free] how to put Trinity Square right.

• Upvote 1

I did put a comment on,

But in case its moderated.

commented on 08-Dec-2009 15:11

Nah then, Co.Jon.

It wer pretty bad before this too, since the 60's "Vandal Architects" got their hands on it and built that multi storey car park. Probably the same ones responsible for the demise of the Historic Drury Hill and its replacement by the current monstrosity.

Don't worry this is just the next generation of 'VA's' Me Duck.

Yer gorrowt els ter moan abaahrt?

Tara fer now

Nottstalgia

Nottstalgia Forums, Sunny Snenton

Lovely building there before, I can't understand why it wasn't listed to stop it being demolished!! Is the new scheme worse than this then.

trinity.jpg

It was useful as a vantage point for taking pictures of trolleybuses passing Vic station as well.

At least you could park yer bleddy car in it!

The old church looked fine, don't know why they didn't convert the inside to something useful??

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

New Year celebrations eh, I bet there's been a run on nails, screws, weedkiller, sugar and hair bleach at the corner shops, well you have to see in the New Year with a bang, those 22 virgins are waiting, lets not forget.

The old church looked fine, don't know why they didn't convert the inside to something useful??

Wasn't the old 'El Toreador' coffee bar on Trinity Square, or was it on Parliament Street? Wherever it was, it was very fashionable and progressive amongst we youngsters of the day. Frothy coffee, plastic cups and saucers, the lot!

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a really good laugh,read the article in today`s NEP 4 years in the planning stage for Trinity Squarerotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gif

-and the second clue to an upcoming election? Re- e mployment of Geriatric Police to bring down crime figures.!tony.giftony.giftony.gif

New Year celebrations eh, I bet there's been a run on nails, screws, weedkiller, sugar and hair bleach at the corner shops, well you have to see in the New Year with a bang, those 22 virgins are waiting, lets not forget.

From the news this christmas, you were absolutely right what was going to happen.

Watch out fer the men in Black

HE's BEHIND YOU!

• 2 years later...

Anybody else noticed what a mess the Trinity Square area is now?

If you haven't been in Nottingham for a few years may not know the area has been totally redeveloped. Seems to have been designed by a committee who never met. The whole place makes the Contemporary building look pretty good in comparison. Never thought I'd regret the demise of a multi-storey car park.

Here's a few examples:-

church-2.jpg

Looking up North Church Street: the Dolphin (later Byron's) pub used to be on the left, and the Police HQ is still on the right. It's like being in Blade Runner.

burton.jpg

Looking down Burton Street towards the Victoria Station hotel; another candidate for Blade Runner.

moulin.jpg

From the Clock Tower looking towards where the multi-storey car park used to be (approx the light brown building at centre-left). The Moulin Rouge cinema was roughly where the vertical blue tower is.

forman.jpg

Forman Street looking down towards Milton Street with John Lewis (Jessops) at the bottom. Subtle mixture of old and new. Trinity Walk with the pet shop is off to the right.

shire.jpg

Top end of Burton Street with the Guildhall at the top. Note how the new building blends in with the old surroundings

square-2.jpg

Standing with your back to Forman Street and looking into the Square.

Bring back the multi-storey car park

• Upvote 2