Can anyone help with the identity of a large shop in the city centre back in the 50s that had 2 or 3 big inwarding curving windows along the footpath? You could not touch the windows (as a kid) and it had wooden rails along the front.

Large tiled foyer before actual entrance and from memory, it was a bit of a posh shop that sold clothes or manchester and was up or down from the Odeon?

??? Obviously a mistake, but I can't work out what it should be :)

How about this, up from the Odeon? It is now the Central Library.

http://www.pictureth...012434&prevUrl=

Manchester = bedding, linen etc. Thanks Cliff Ton, the Henry Barker shop is about the right size but the front windows at street level were definitely curved inwards (concave). I was talking to my Aunt about it and she could remember the shop but not the name.

Can anyone help with the identity of a large shop in the city centre back in the 50s that had 2 or 3 big inwarding curving windows along the footpath? You could not touch the windows (as a kid) and it had wooden rails along the front.

Large tiled foyer before actual entrance and from memory, it was a bit of a posh shop that sold clothes or manchester and was up or down from the Odeon?

I remember the windows, the shop was Henry Barker, Smart & Brown, which is now the library.

Thanks everyone. Looks like Cliff Ton was on the money,

Here's another one from the 50s. Same side of the street as the Odeon, there was a coffee shop and further up was a stonemasons shop and often you would see someone chiselling away at a grave stone or similar in the front window. Does anybody remember that one????

How much further up? Beyond Mount Street? Chapel Bar?

This thread http://nottstalgia.c...&hl= sign four covered some of that area

Thanks Cliff Ton. I used to pass it when crossing Slab Square to get to Mount Street for a bus to Wollaton.

I remember a coffee shop on the same side as the Odeon that we used to go into both daytime and when we were on the town at night. Coffee shop extended a fair way back and had numerous tables, the back area was raised up a bit and was pretty dark and smoky.

The stonemasons shop would have been up the hill from the Odeon, once again only a small front but it must have extended back a distance. Unfortunately it is 50 odd years ago and I cannot pinpoint the exact location except that I would pass it on the way to Mount Street Bus Station.

Talking of stonemasons I used to cut through a churchyard on way home, one night pitch black, I heard this eerie "tap tap tap" really scared me, I realised I was getting nearer to it, so quite relieved as I rounded a corner to find a chap chipping away at a tombstone, I was also annoyed at being frightened so said "what the hell are you doing at this time of night?" he replied "they've spelt my name wrong" !!!!

• Upvote 1