...That caused a bit of a flurry....what about...Arrow bars, Lucky bags, fruit salad and black jacks...(not sure if thats pc now) ha'penny chews...Caramac....(recent comeback, but somehow not the same but still yummy)...the list is endless really...we used to have a great big old red bus come round the estate, it was called 'Buxton's' and they must have sold everything there could be in the grocers, green grocers and sweet shop, even newspapers, if he didn't have it on the bus he would have it on his next time round...I used to love going on the bus, mam had one or two close shaves on the odd occasion he didn't turn up maybe because of a breakdown or something, then yours truly would have to run to the shop and save her bacon....she'd say 'run there and fly back' and "if you get back before your dad gets home from work you can keep the change", there was rarely any change but it was good to be the hero even for half an hour...

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...That caused a bit of a flurry....what about...Arrow bars, Lucky bags, fruit salad and black jacks...(not sure if thats pc now) ha'penny chews...Caramac....(recent comeback, but somehow not the same

Thank you ....lol

Remember the 'Smokers Set's Santa would leave us in our pillowcase? Ironic isn't it feeding ourselves all those chocolate cigarettes, cigars etc and years later the anti-smoking campaign was in full

Gilly, I've given you a tick for this: for reminding me of *'Arrow Bars' and also the lovely little story that follows :)

*Arrow Bars: must have chewed my way through a mountain of these as a kid - loved 'em; didn't do me any harm as I still have all my own teeth!

You can still get them Stu, if you have a hankering for them, try your local Morrisons. My kids tend to have a bag every week, off of their '3 bags for a pound' range. The range includes "Strawberry Laces" (which SWMBO snaffles off of them !!..LOL) "Cola Bottles" , "Milk Bottles" "Jelly Babies" and my personal favourites "Dolly Mixtures" (But don't tell any one you saw me eating them or else I'll have to kill you !)

Stu, didn't we call them Flying Saucers? I'm guessing the outside was some kind of rice paper as it melted away in your mouth. Mudgie, that licorice was so soft, if it's the ones I'm thinking of, came in shapes like pipes, shoelaces, Catherine wheels with a knobbly sweet in the middle [like out of Licorice Allsorts] Usually a penny per piece, bought individually.

You could buy a tray of caramel toffee, or licorice toffee, or caramel with Brazil nuts in, and as well as the tray, you got a little hammer to break it up. Was this Palm toffee too?

Possibly the same manufacturer Katyjay.....................that was always way out of my pocket money range, also peanut brittle sold on big platters

Kali ,all different colours in a jar is my favorite one.We would take money off coupons to the mobile shop which used to park outside the school and exchange them for sweets

Wet your finger & stick in the bag of Kali ..................only way to eat it, certainly made it last longer!! Very colourful finger......................

You could buy a tray of caramel toffee, or licorice toffee, or caramel with Brazil nuts in, and as well as the tray, you got a little hammer to break it up. Was this Palm toffee too?

'Walkers Toffee'....They still do the packs with a hammer at Chrimbo...

Licorice.

Still available Pontefract Cakes.

Dont forget the stick of licorice you used to get in that little tube of Sherbet,

known as 'Kahli' <sp?>

Kali, Mick, was a granulated sugar consistency and multi-coloured, sherbet was like icing sugar in consistency and just the one flavour [lemon?] I wasted more than I ate of the latter, as it would blow all over the place, plus the licorice stick would go soggy. I remember sherbet lemon hard sweets, you sucked and sucked for ever then got to the sherbet middle.

Which of those came in the cardboard and paper tube with the liquorice 'straw'? Yellow paper wrapping around tube.

Arrow Bar. Know the name but can't picture the dudoos. Anyone help, please?

Edited by self to say that I just found a picture on Google images.

Boiled sweets were a rare treat for us as kids. Rationing was still on until I was at school.

In my primary school there was "Lemonade" available at lunchtime. I think it was 1d per drink but it was some awful powder stuff that was mixed with water. I can still recall the taste and texture of this grunge.

Bit of thread drift coming up......What about that bit of fluff that always seemed to live in your inkwell in your school desk?! You'd dip your pen nib and as you attempted to write the ink smudged all over the place because of fluff stuck to the nib.

I'm on a flow now.... In Miss Pardoe's class we used to have pencils that were given out each day. Most were pale yellow but a couple were a deep orange colour. The orange ones were much sought after and fought over by the boys. Kids eh?! :o)

Our head was a nun. Her name was Sister Benigness (Sp?). Of course we boys called her Sister Big Knickers - until she overheard one day and we left her office with raw bums - from her belt, not the Priest <g>