Looking at the latest additions on Picture the Past, they included one of a windmill on Carlton Hill. I know Nottingham used to have a lot of windmills (Forest Road particularly) but I'd never come across the Carlton one before.

mill2.jpg

Apparently it was demolished in the 1930s so there's probably no-one who can remember it; but with a bit of digging around I worked out where it used to be.

biglater.jpg

For a reference point, Dale Road at the lower left is still there today.

The mill would have been to the rear of these houses which seem to be typical 1930s council houses.Previous to them on the roadside were about 14 small cottages known as Windmill Row.On some maps the area is still known as Carlton Heights...very appropriate.

90c450e8.jpg

The mill would have been to the rear of these houses which seem to be typical 1930s council houses.Previous to them on the roadside were about 14 small cottages known as Windmill Row.

And going back to a slightly earlier map, as poohbear mentioned.............

bigmill.jpg

Looking at the latest additions on Picture the Past, they included one of a windmill on Carlton Hill. I know Nottingham used to have a lot of windmills (Forest Road particularly) but I'd never come across the Carlton one before.

mill2.jpg

Apparently it was demolished in the 1930s so there's probably no-one who can remember it; but with a bit of digging around I worked out where it used to be.

biglater.jpg

For a reference point, Dale Road at the lower left is still there today.

I have a similar map in my collection dated 1914 & can find no sign of a windmill, I don't think my earlier maps go that far out of town I'll have to check

I have a similar map in my collection dated 1914 & can find no sign of a windmill, I don't think my earlier maps go that far out of town I'll have to check

I got it from the Old Maps site, dated 1880s :-

millwords.jpg

Windmill Lane ?

Now that would be a good name for a road with Windmills :)

In 1830s there were several along there. Green's mill was at the southern end where it still is, but there were a couple of others further up

windlane.jpg