I've been looking at some of the Aerofilms images of Sherwood that have been put on-line, I'm puzzled by one particular building that I can't identify.

EPW021828.jpg

In the centre, approximately a third of the way up is a rather grand looking building surrounded by a circle of trees, it is close to the junction of Perry Road and Edwards Lane - a church, perhaps? The road on the right running up the picture is Mansfield Road.

Anybody got any idea what it was?

Interesting, and I think I can see the one you are referring to. I reckon it's actually just a big old house. Looking at the Old Maps site I've come up with this from around 1900

perry3.jpg

This map is before Perry Road went along the north-west side of the building, but Edwards Lane is running along the north-east back garden wall, and you can see the shape of the house and the trees/path which match the aerial photo. If you follow the driveway around you see the place actually has its entrance on Burlington Road.

Dunno if you know that area at all, but around there on Burlington Road/Hardwick Road/Hartington Road are some impressive old Victorian Gentleman's Villas, a small version of The Park in Sherwood

Fascinating map, I might have a walk up Burlington Rd and see if I can spot anything. I assume it's long gone since there are newish houses (1950's?) on that corner.

That big house isn't there any longer, but if you go round that area you might be in for a pleasant surprise. There are some relatively modern houses, but there are also quite a few big old Victorian houses which haven't been ruined or spoiled. It's Watson Fothergill country in those streets; an unspoilt and unknown little corner of Nottingham

I know the area well, I've spent most of my life in Sherwood - been to a few parties up that way over the years. It's a lovely area to live but way beyond my mean. I've just done a quick check on Google and it looks like some of the tree line still exists but I doubt anything of note is viewable from street level.

That area was known as Cavendish Hill and the building referred to was this....It disappeared off maps just after WW2

(1853)

'Cavendish Hill School was in the eighteen-fifties kept by the Rev. Thos. Gascoigne in the most westerly house in Edwards Lane, afterwards owned by Mr. Arthur Wells, and now by Mr. Woolley. This was a boarding school for gentlemen's sons, and some prominent local men were educated there.'

Now that poohbear has provided this information about the house.........

That area was known as Cavendish Hill and the building referred to was this....It disappeared off maps just after WW2

'Cavendish Hill School was in the eighteen-fifties kept by the Rev. Thos. Gascoigne in the most westerly house in Edwards Lane,

Never expected to find photos of the building, but these are described as being "Cavendish House on Burlington Road, demolished in 1948" so this might well be the place in question.

sher2.jpg

sher1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Following up on my post #5 The name Woolley appeared as one of the owners of Cavendish House...I just came across his name in the Wrights street directory 1913/14 I'm guessing by then the building was no longer a school...it isn't listed as such in the directories I've looked at around this period.

1eec4ad7.jpg

Interesting to note the letter box was emptied five times a day...bit better service than we have today.