I was a member at Trent Bridge Cricket ground during the 1970s...I wonder if our paths crossed? Goodbye Rob237 and if you can see this forum from where you are then note that I finally got a picture of white dog sh*t for you to see :'(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Katyjay, I of course never knew your friend, Rob237, but I'd like to add something to his memory R.I.P. Rob Pollard. September 5, 1942 - February 2012 - A friend to everyone. From Roy Harper:

Rob has been gone more than a year. I visited his page and added a tribute http://www.thisisannouncements.co.uk/14486559 Valued Contributor to Nottstalgia Nottingham Forums Greatly missed by his fri

I found out today, that Rob237 passed away 6 months ago. Today would have been his 70th birthday. He posted on here for many years. God Bless Rob, hope there is a cricket match in heaven to watch.

Sorry to hear this sad news, I met Rob on an aviation outing as Beefsteak said, nice quiet man very well educated, I will miss his posts on railways and cricket

RIP Rob

Rog

• Upvote 1

Forum title renamed to

Rob's Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club Forum

New description:

Dedicated to the memory of Rob Pollard ('Rob237'), 5th September 1942 - February 2012.

A valued contributor to this forum.

Nice one Mick. Unfortunately, I never met Rob, but his presence here is missed by everybody, he was a great contributor and I would love to have had chance to have a pint with him.

Hopefully this will help keep his memory alive.

:) Before I began posting on 'Nottstalgia', I'd often take a look in at this valuable information site that provided Historic Cameos of Nottingham Life.

I'd always enjoy reading Rob's postings; it was his voice / presence behind his writings that made me want to read him.

Rob 237

Missed,

Always

Remembered.xx

• 2 months later...

Just reading back through this obituary. The thing I liked most about Rob237 was that he came across as a friend to everyone; in fact everyone here seems to feel that way. His posts and manner were such that you felt you'd known him forever and not just a year or two over the internet.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Dear Katyjay,

I of course never knew your friend, Rob237, but I'd like to add something to his memory R.I.P. Rob Pollard.

September 5, 1942 - February 2012 - A friend to everyone.

From Roy Harper: When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease.

When the day is done, and the ball has spun, in the umpires pocket away, and all remains in the groundsman's pains, for the rest of the time and a day. There'll be one mad dog and his master, pushing for four with the spin. On a dusty pitch, with two pounds six, of willow wood in the sun.

When an old Cricketer leaves the crease, well you never know whether he's gone, if sometimes you're catching a fleeting glimpse of a twelth man at silly Mid-On - and it could be Geoff and it could be John, with a new ball sting in his tail, and it could be me and it could be thee, and it could be the sting in the ale - the sting in the ale.

When the moment comes, and the gathering stands, and the clock turnes back to reflect, on those years of grace, and those footsteps trace, for the last time out of the act. Well this way of lifes recollection, that hallowed strip in the haze, the fabled men and the noonday sun, and much more than just just yarns of their days.

When on old Cricketer leaves the crease, well you never know whether he's gone, if sometimes you're catching a fleeting glimpse of a twelth man at silly Mid-On - and it could be Geoff and it could be John, with a new ball sting in his tail, and it could be me and it could be thee, and it could be the sting in the ale - the sting in the ale.

Dedicated to Rob Pollard - John Snow - Geoff Boycott - and to England my dear home. 1995 Roy Harper HQ

Respect from Dave

• Upvote 4
  • 2 months later...

Rob has been gone more than a year.

I visited his page and added a tribute
http://www.thisisannouncements.co.uk/14486559

Valued Contributor to Nottstalgia Nottingham Forums
Greatly missed by his friends @Nottstalgia.
Friends from around the world. Rob's valued input on Nottingham History and Notts Cricket in particular.
Rob 237 fondly remembered and tribute forum...
'Dedicated to the memory of Rob Pollard ('Rob237'), 5th September 1941 - February 2012. A valued contributor to this forum
Rob's Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club Forum
Rob has left us but his words remain...

• Upvote 2

That was a lovely thing to do, Mick. I hope Rob's family sees it and know how well thought of, he was.

Wonderful Tribute Mick......from the heart and soul from a loyal friend. Brilliant!

Gone but never forgotten....it all counts.

Just quoting fact.

Robs Family may not know of the friends he made here, or that his words can still be read?

I did receive an email from a member who stated.

"Hi,
Cannot log on as my email address is already registered and I have been unable to change my password.
I was a good friend of Robert Pollard (rob237) for fifteen years when I lived near Bingham and would like to let your members know about him."
I reset the members account and replied but have heard nothing?

'Robs Family may not know of the friends he made here, or that his words can still be read?' (#41), is a relevant comment. There are so many nice posts with such a genuine love and respect for Rob237 and it would be comforting for his family to read them.

Hi folks,

I first encountered Robert Pollard (Bob) when my family and I moved to Saxondale Village around the mid 80's.

We visited the Moot House pub in Bingham after I noticed that a "Quiz Night" was being held on Thursdays. I entered a team, and came second. When Bob who was the quizmaster came to pay our prize money, we got chatting about our team name (Saxondale Reds). He obviously realised that I was a Forest fan, and made us feel most welcome.

After frequently attending the weekly quiz we would chat about Forest and then our other great interests, especially railways.

We both had a vast collection of railway books which we would often lend each other. It transpired that our railway interests were similar, and spent many hours recalling our train spotting experiences over a couple of large whiskers.

Bobs main interests were cricket, at which he often umpired locally. Nottingham Forest, the East Coast mainline, the ex GC mainline through Bulwell Common and Nottingham Victoria and amazingly, a vast knowledge of Nottingham Corporation bus routes.

Over the next few years we ran the Moot House quiz together. He would set the questions for a few months, then I would do likewise.

As you all know, he attended High Pavement Grammar School and was very well educated. He had a wide knowledge of most subjects. His main feature was his wicked sense of humour. He was always one for the quick one liners. He was never rude, but tolerated fools very lightly indeed. He was not very PC, but was always kind, helpfull and generous.

He loved his Real Ale and his beloved Park Drive cigarettes and liked the social life in Bingham.

I left Saxondale in 2001 and sadly lost touch due to my work commitments, and frequently travelling abroad. It's a pity I didn't manage to contact him through this forum as I'm sure we would have had plenty to talk about. I now live only yards from where he used to lark about as a schoolboy, Bagthorpe Junction and the "Rathole".

I can guarantee that Bingham is much the poorer for Bobs demise. He will be very sadly missed.

Cheers,

Tim C (Basford Red)

• Upvote 1

Welcome Tim

I am glad you were able to now log in and give us more information about Rob.

How did you get to know that Rob was a member here?

The 'Rathole' BTW, is discussed elswhere on this site

Hi Mick,

I was Googling around for Annesley, Bulwell Common and Colwick and I fell upon Nottstalgia. I browsed a bit and found the Nottm Transport thread. I read all the topics thinking Rob237 sounds a good bloke, then low and behold Bingham is mentioned and everything fell into place. It's my old mate Bob. I wish I had persisted with my attempts to log on if just to let him know I was OK after all these years. He really was a great gentleman, comic and friend. If only I had known he was in the City Hospital I could have popped in as I live so close.

Have a pint and a Parkie up there on me Bob.

Cheers Tim C

he was very well educated, had a wide knowledge of most subjects. His main feature was his wicked sense of humour. He was always one for the quick one liners. He was never rude, but tolerated fools very lightly indeed.

We know, We know :)

• Upvote 1