I have often wondered about paying this place a visit, but access is a "No No" I understand.

Well dragging Mrs Catfan to Renishaw Hall near Chesterfield this morning for a day out, I noticed a sign outside the old church at Annesley Hall, as part of the English Heritage open day all is open.

On Saturday permission has been granted for visitors to enter Annesley Hall land & take a closer look at Annesley Hall itself BUT NOT TO ENTER THE HALL DUE TO THE UNSAFE STRUCTURE. This could be a rare opportunity for the general public to get a close look at the hall itself.

Anyway here's Mrs Catfan enjoying the sunshine @ Renishaw Hall.

p1030012-web.jpg

The gardens. Very beautiful they are.

p1030011-web.jpg

On the way home a quick reccy @ Annesley.

p1030082-web.jpg

Enjoy, as they say.

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much Mr. Catfan.

I had noticed the free EH weekend and fancied doing something not too far away. I've always been a bit intrigued by Annesley Hall and its Byron/Mary Chaworth history and intend to go and have a close-up view.

Cheers.

OFTEN GO PAST ON OUR WAY TO KIRKBY IN ASHFIELD TO VISIT MY SISTER IN LAW AND THINK WHAT A SHAM IT HAS BEEN ALLOWED TI GET INTO THE STATE OF DISREPAIR ITS NOW IN. KNOW AN OLD LADY WHO WAS TAKEN THERE AS A KITCHEN MADE WHEN SHE CAME OUT OF THE WORKHOUSE SHE EVENTUALY MARRIED ONE OF THE GARDNERS AND HE THEN WENT TO WORK IN THE PITS AND THEY ENDED UP LIVING IN CLIFTON SHE WOULD BE IN HER 90S IF SHE IS STILL ALIVE BUT I HAVE NOT SEEN HER FOR SOME TIME.

Managed a visit to Annesley Church and Hall on Saturday. I'll pop a couple of pics up when I get a minute. Quite a lot of visitors on the day.

As Babs says, what a shame the place has been allowed to fall into disrepair after the fire in 1997.

Some interesting reading about Lord Byron's visits to see Mary Chaworth at the hall here:

http://byron.nottingham.ac.uk/archive/teachinglearning/bios/MC.pdf

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I lived in Annesley for a while in 1968/9. I used to walk along the footpath to Moorgreen on fine afternoons, through the grounds of Annesley Hall. I managed a few brief visits to the chapel but never the hall itself. There was an annual garden feté in summer but as already said, no access to the Hall itself. The occupants of the day were, I believe Squire Charworth-Musters and family. a few years ago I chanced upon a book about living with the Patagonians relating George Charworth-Musters' travelogue with the Indians, written in the early 19th century. I have often wondered if this was an ancestor of the '68/9 Charworth-Musters.

That's very interesting John boy. I'll have to dig out the book and see if he landed at Punta on the Beagle.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Ever since the place was sold by the Chaworth Musters family back in 1972 it's been a tale of woe and disaster for this wonderful house. I blame entirely the complete lack of action by the Local Authority concerned, whoever it is, to prevent this Grade 2 Listed Building from being subsequently stripped of it's historic interior and allowed to rot, that also goes for the gatehouse complex as well. Enforcement notices should have been served on the owners years ago, clearly it was never done by the useless, incompetent council, but whoever the owners are, they've clearly wanted the place destroyed and out of their hair. Refurbishment under way my ar*e, it was earmarked for destruction by someone of significance, not just a passing vandal.

• Upvote 1

As I looked at catfan's photos it went through my mind that I'd like to take my wife there when she's well again. Then I read Cliff Ton and and firbeck's posts and felt anger and disbelief that such a beautiful place like Annesley Hall should end up this way.

• Upvote 1

If they get in quick enough with the bulldozers, the 'owners' could do a deal with UK Coal and use the rubble to fill in the shaft at Thoresby Colliery.

Well Firbeck, they made enough money out of coal to put something back. I believe they made a tanner for each ton of coal mined from Annesley.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just as a point of interest, the picture of me on the left (My avatar) was taken during a walk along a footpath that ran by Annesley Hall and through to Moorgreen Reservoir. It was Summer 1969.

• 2 years later...

As far as I know the hall was bunt out a few years ago, I don't know if it has been re-built or if it was possible as there wasn't much left after the fire.

https://www.chad.co.uk/news/environment/annesley-hall-and-old-church-what-does-the-future-hold-for-historic-gems-1-7348618

• Like 1

I looked in over a year ago, but renovation work seems to have halted. The fire was arson I believe. Next time I pass, I'll investigate.

• Like 1

There is a lot of history about Annesley around the Hall . Its a pity the Norman castle built to overlook Annesley hasn't been uncovered (well at least the footings) . My favourite story is where William Chaworth fought a duel with Lord Byron (the poets uncle) .

Where was the castle, Red?  Was it on the hill overlooking the pit, where the church now stands (Or at least, did stand when I lived there).

• 3 years later...

Yes. It seems some restoration work was started on part of the roof, but although the rafters are newish, they’re not that new. Looks like everything has been “on hold” for some time. It looks as though the building is now too far gone to be rebuilt. The old church yard, which overlooks the hall, is a nice, tranquil place with some 18th century headstones.

DSC-0228-29-30-tonemapped.jpg

DSC-0240-1-2-tonemapped.jpg

• Like 2