What internet access do you have, and what speed do you get?

Broadband Speed Checker - THE UK's No.1 Broadband Speed Test

(Dont Run the windows check its an ad. and may prompt you to download software that finds (dubious) faults but does not repair them without paying for the software.

Mine

6mb/s down

0.499mb/s up

Crap BT line!

I like this one:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Also free - and works everywhere, but wait until it fully loads then click "Begin Test" - don't click the "Start Now" button as it will try to sell you speed-up software! Nice thing about this program is you can save your results!

Mine:

7.2mb/s down

0.95mb/s up

WOW Cable service - slowly improving, but still not the 15mb/s advertised!

I am looking to change but need good connection

Options for fibre optic are BT and Virgin.

What are people paying?

I dont need TV or phone, we had to get rid of our 20 odd year old landline number last year!

You need to read this if you have not challenged your providers prices recently!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2652651&page=109

They are all out to rob us blind. be it car insurance, AA breakdown or Telecoms providers.

Ask for, no don't ask for, DEMAND a better deal or you are walking, you would be surprised what the will offer.

Our Virgin Broadband was cheaper WITH the phone than without....so we just dont use the phone cept at weekends when its free......think we pay £35 a month for the 20mg...and Virgin are kicking us up to the next speed for free soon ( theys doing that to everyone )

D/L=1027Kbs

U/L=274Kbs.

We are usually around 1.5Mbs download, has been around 2Mbs, but not very often. The ISP's highest paid for speed is 1.5Mbs, that's it for a copper connection, something we have to live with until all copper is changed out for fibre optics, and nothing is envisioned for the near future.. Just one of the few downsides to living in the country miles from anything.

For phone service I use Vonage - it is a VOIP system similar to those offered by most ISPs but with the advantage that calls to most U.K. land lines are included in the monthly fee ($25.00). Also ALL calls within North America are included as well as voice mail, automatic call forwarding, and a speech-to-text conversion of any voice mail is sent to a specified e-mail address! I can also make international calls on my cell phone (mobile) using this service!

The savings on my phone bill in international calls ALONE pays for the Vonage and the internet!

We need more competition in our area....Cell phone wise, this area is dead due to the terrain, I tried a cell phone around my fields, I have 80 acres, there's only one spot I could get a signal, and that was in my north west field at it's highest point. Everywhere else was an RF dead zone.

• 2 weeks later...

Speeds to die for!!!! I thought 55kbs was fast when we first got it!! But 1.5Mbs was light speed to us....Oh well, maybe one day we can look forward to T2 or higher connections.

Had my Virgin broadband doubled from 10 to 20mbps, for no extra charge ( yet!! )....checked it on Speedtest.net and got up to 16.47mbps. It has hit 19.79mbps, so not bad.( so far )

Just heard an article on the radio here that said we pay the most for broadband access yet have some of the slowest speeds. France has some of the fastest and cheapest - on the order of 1/10th the cost here, and speeds ten times the average here!

Typical of the USA - develop something, rush it on to the market only to discover if you had waited a year or two, the technology would be faster and cheaper!

• 1 month later...

Recently there was a topic on here about broadband speed, I can no longer find it !

My broadband seemed a bit faster today so did another check & looks like Virgin Media have doubled the speed as promised !

Now D/L speed 58.70

U/L speed 2.9

Thank you Virgin Media !!!!