What exactly is CPU?

A friend is getting "High CPU" messages on her Google Chrome. Her computer is new and up to date with 4gig memory etc. So what causes CPU usage to be high? I sit simply programmes running in the background that could be turned off or could it be something more sinister?

"Adware" is one thing Compo, what sort of protection is she using????

Everyone should have a "firewall" when on the internet, none are infallible, but all will give some degree of protection.

I use all around protection, Kasperski, it's an anti virus, anti Adware/Malware and has one of the best firewall's and all around protections.

I gave up using free anti virus etc software a few years back, peace of mind is more important than $80.

There is another thing that could cause that problem too, some corrupted software.

How often does she clear her "cache"??? That's a daily maintenance issue that should be done every day or more often.

I had high CPU usage a couple of times on older machines over the years, I tried to track down the problems, but ended backing all my files then doing a full hard drive reformat, cured the problems. But each case has different problems.

Ayup Ayupmiducks miduck,

She uses Norton antivirus and has scanned with negative result. The computer is only a couple of weeks old so the cache should not be a big issue here. I will suggest that she clears it though. Does Norton protect against adware, etc?

Nortons the biggest load of crap on the market Compo, even the free stuff is better! There was a time Norton always was the best, I'd always use Norton, then I started having problems like many others, and tracked it down to Norton anti virus, computer locking up, corrupted files etc. I even stopped loading Norton Utilities into my machines for the same reason.

My guess now is it's Norton causing the problems.

Like I said, I use Kasperski, read the reviews, here's their site..http://usa.kaspersky.com/?domain=kaspersky.com

I occasionally get a corrupted file in the Kaspersky system. Don't know why but whatever the reason, it fixes itsef with a run of the updater.

I only used Norton Utilities in the DOS days, couldn't see any reason to use anti virus software pre internet, although NU did have anti virus.

NU had some good features.

To answer the question CPU is the central processor in the PC or in other words the main bit that does all the work. I do not think it is anything to do with Norton which did have a reputation for being bloated but recent versions are much improved. This appears to be a common issue with Chrome.

If you look here.

http://vizconsult.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/solving-google-chromes-high-cpu-usage/

or if that is double dutch I suggest you use Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera which are all fine

• 1 month later...

When your computer is acting strangely, running slow, or doing weird things - then it's a good idea to run Task Manager - the very useful utility in Windows that shows what processes are running and which one is eating up processing power - i.e. High CPU.

You right-click on the task bar at the bottom of your screen and select Task Manager.

Select Processes and up comes a list of what is running, how much memory it is taking and what level the CPU is at.

If you don't know much about computers, then it's not a good idea to start fiddling around with things and turning them off etc. but it's very useful to see what's doing what.

It can be a real eye opener!

Norton is absolute rubbish, I agree. It doesn't catch viruses and it makes your computer run slow. Some of the free anti-virus progs are much better.

Every new computer these days comes with 'bloat-ware'. Stuff that you don't really want or need. (Demo's and assorted rubbish software). Spending a few hours getting rid of this crap can pay dividends i.e. speed things up because there is less running.

The other thing that annoys the hell out of people is Updates.

All the software people - Microsoft, Google, Anti-Virus want you to be connected to the internet all the time and have your computer constantly interrogated and interrupted with software updates. It can drive you nuts.

It's one of the main reasons why your computer slows to a crawl, stops you from working and then demands a reboot.

I recently found out that Google Chrome looks for updates every 30 mins (!)

Adobe Flash player is equally annoying - constantly wanting to update.

Most of us just want to get on with stuff on the computer - browsing the internet, writing letters, editing photo's or whatever. Not be a slave to whatever the software people want us to do.

One final thing....Targeted Advertising.

What a complete abomination!

Intrusive, irritating - creepy. I've had more people ask me how to get rid of this than anything else.

Cookies used to be for the benefit of storing settings e.g. login details, language options etc. but they have been hijacked to find out what you've been looking at so that they can shove targeted adverts in front of you. I don't know anyone who thinks this is a good thing.

Interestingly, I notice that Google's advertising revenue dropped 20% since bringing this in.

I don't think this is a co-incidence.

People are actively turning off.

To be honest, I don't buy computers "off the rack" so miss all the fun of the loaded crap that Dell etc load on as a package.

I either upgrade from components sold on the likes of Tiger Direct, or buy a "bare bones" and add what I want, then I have to load the operating software myself and the drivers..

It not only saves a fair amount of brass, but also stops problems before they start, ie the preloaded crap.

To anyone else wanting to build up a PC from scratch, no it's not hard, in fact it's easier than making a bed up!! Plus you save a bundle in the process!! The only thing you have to do is make sure you don't zap anything with a static charge, so it's hand you ground/earth yourself at all times.

You'll have to make sure you buy the right OS that allows multiple computer loadings, it's a little more expensive. Also, label the computer and with a felt tipped pen mark the driver disks with the same number..

To anyone else wanting to build up a PC from scratch, no it's not hard, in fact it's easier than making a bed up!!

Heart transplants are easy too...if you happen to be a heart surgeon... :rolleyes::biggrin:

Been putting PC's together for a few years now, it's simple, nobody trained me, I learned as I went along. In the old Motherboards you just had to make sure the two black leads on the two powerplugs were in the centre of the sockets...That's all taken care of these days with a polarized plug and socket.

The average person cannot go wrong, don't let computer techs make you think it's rocket science, it's not!

If you can push a plug into a socket, you can assemble a PC..

As Ayup says - building your own PC is pretty easy - and avoids all the pre-loaded crap you get with a "system". I am on my third "home-build" - I find they are a LOT cheaper and configured to do what I want!

My son recommended THIS website as a basis for building your own. The devices are all based on components available from New Egg - a really good US based on-line seller, but I am sure the same components are available elsewhere. The two PCs I have built based on these recommendations have both been a piece of cake to build and get running! I agree, it is not rocket science!

Nowt to it, is there Eric, I think I assembled my first PC around 1995 or there abouts... We used to get all the stuff we needed from a computer shop off Watt Avenue in Sacramento. The two guys who owned the place were real helpful and got loads of business from us. I assembled several computers for the Wife's boss for his business back then..

This one I'm on now must be my 25th or higher.

I have a couple of Biostar Motherboards I have with some faulty Electrolytic caps, I'm going to change out the caps and see if the boards work, who knows??? I need an upgrade for my Ham radio computer which still uses DOS!!!!! If at least one of the boards is undamaged I can use it for my hobby, doesn't need to be a superfast computer for that.

You still have to have a basic knowledge of PCs and I haven't...You use words that are completely alien to me,so how the heck could I make head or tail of making my own? I made this years ago and found it a relatively simple job...but I wouldn't expect Joe Bloggs to have any idea of where to start.

P1010010_zps846f32b5.jpg

PB, with online sites, I bet you could master assembling PC's in no time, the link Eric left would be a good start.

I'm no computer expert, far from it, I am by trade a maintenance electrician with electronic experience, but that didn't help me with computers, other than component replacements on boards..

The main components to a computer are the Mother or Mainboard, CPU, Random Memory, (RAM) Power supply, your drives, hard drive, CD/DVD's, and a few plug in cards, all fit inside a Mini/Mid tower case or desk top case... Everything is plug in and have different plugs and sockets, making any mistakes are pretty hard as the plugs only fit in one type of socket..

The CPU comes with an instruction sheet with drawings for thickos like me, so we only mount them correctly. The ram can only fit in it's socket the right way...

I'd bet a home assembled computer costs about 50% less than a Dell of the same capacity.

You can get brand new, assembled and tested computers from Amazon these days that cost a fraction of shop-bought units.

I recently bought a Vibox computer myself through Amazon. Top quality, top of the range parts. Fraction of what an iPad or even an iPhone would cost. Working great!

If you are going to have a go yourself at a DIY system, then generally the most expensive bit is the operating system.

Even though Windows 8 just launched, I'm told that 70% of PC's throughout the world are still on XP.

Which I must say, is still a really good OS.

Did someone mention Ham Radio earlier on? I thought that went out with CB radio!

(Trouble wi' me big twig, gud budday).

Ham radio has been around over a century and is still flourishing, there's over one million licensed hams around the world.

CW aka Morse code is still used extensively by many hams, as are a lot of the more newer digital modes, and of course good old "phone".

It's still a popular form of communication, it's just another language!! I doubt he's still alive, but an old mate preferred "CW" over the other modes, he was proficient at well over 20 words per minute.

My speed is zero now, haven't messed with it since I passed my last test over 20 years ago. I did hook up a modem once to copy my old mate, and his "fist" was "copperplate" the modem showed every character he sent perfectly with perfect spacings, a sign of a master at the morse key.

I once asked him if he took notes while listening, only the call sign and location of the other feller, he said, I just copy it like everyone else hears someone when they are talking to me he stated.

The method of communicating over the internet was taken from a mode we hams use, Packet radio. We send packets of info via the telephone lines... In ham radio we send packets of digital information via a transmitter.