• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another eighty years of history turned to rubble, what a shame my fond memories of the Odeon are not there for others to see. Shows like Little Richard, The Stones, & my all time favourite Bill Ha

More views  

Regarding the earlier posts about what films were showing when the Odeon became a two-screen cinema, I also remember them as being The Sound of Music in Odeon 1 - and that it ran for over a year. Mar

I've got a feeling Bromley House Library and some others objected to the height as it would impact on the gardens at the back, so, there may be a revised plan, on the other hand, the planning department may just have ignored them.

I remember the Odeon re-opening as a double cinema, a new thing then, in 1965, I think. Being shown were, 'The Sound of Music' and 'Mary Poppins'. Been to some good concerts there too. Sad to see it go.

I remember the Odeon re-opening as a double cinema, a new thing then, in 1965, I think. Being shown were, 'The Sound of Music' and 'Mary Poppins'. Been to some good concerts there too. Sad to see it go.

I seem to remember the opening film was 'The Battle of Britain.' Also memorable were the chaotic two concerts by The Beatles, the last being Nov.5th 1964..great times!

I was lucky enough to see the Beatles both times at the Odeon, I remember the second time you had to write to the Evening Post for tickets and each person was only allowed 2, Me & 4 mates all wrote seperately, I was the only one to get 2 tickets, now the Dilema which mate to take !!

My older sister and husband-to-be went to those Beatles gigs at the Odeon. According to the latter, a complete waste of time as he couldn't hear a thing for the screaming!

When the Odeon went multi-screen it seemed very ground-breaking at the time. Think this was the last film I saw there, Seven in the mid-nineties.

It was a shame to see the old place sitting there crumbling. I hope they replace it with something useful. No doubt the ubiquitous student accommodation will feature. I hear today that accommodations for NTU students is so oversubscribed that they're housing city students down at Clifton campus...

I seem to remember the opening film was 'The Battle of Britain.' Also memorable were the chaotic two concerts by The Beatles, the last being Nov.5th 1964..great times!

I still maintain the films were, 'Sound of Music' and 'Mary Poppins'. The band of the RAF were in attendance at the opening too.

I still maintain the films were, 'Sound of Music' and 'Mary Poppins'. The band of the RAF were in attendance at the opening too.

Just a suggestion. Were Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music the feature films when the Odeon was re-opened as a multi-screen cinema (around 1965?)

I'd agree with Sound of Music/Mary Poppins as the openers when the Odeon was twinned. Julie Andrews mania.

The film Battle of Britain wasn't released until 1969

What a sad set of photo's showing the Odeon.

I remember going to 'see' the Beatles,now and again there was some sound,'thank you and ta-ra',was about the most audible.

The last time I went,was to see Doctor Zhivago.

It was quite the cinema in its day,and the most expensive if memory serves me right,Gaumont or the Elite for me.

Off Topic (Odeon) but anybody my age remember going to the old Tudor in West Bridgeford for the Saturday morning matinees?

NCCS001097.jpg

Picture from 1959 courtesy of PTP

What? NOOOOOO! :( I remember it closing but always half-hoped it would be reopened as a theatre or another small cinema or something...

Sad to see the Odeon go but if all the people who say they will actually miss it had used it maybe it would still be open, having said that I remember my mum and dad dropping us kids off to watch a film while they went off to do the Christmas shopping, also remember that one year the Wilford power stations kids Christmas outing was to the Odeon to see the Disney film Robin Hood and Santa Claus :)

Curly