• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another eighty years of history turned to rubble, what a shame my fond memories of the Odeon are not there for others to see. Shows like Little Richard, The Stones, & my all time favourite Bill Ha

More views  

Regarding the earlier posts about what films were showing when the Odeon became a two-screen cinema, I also remember them as being The Sound of Music in Odeon 1 - and that it ran for over a year. Mar

Looks like it's going to be some size of a building that replaces the Odeon.

According to the post, it will be three-storey on Angel Row, rising to nine and then fifteen-storeys at the rear. 450 students apartments and four shop units.

Quite some rant on the 'Nottingham' Facebook page tonight.

Thoughts?

'NOTTINGHAM HISTORY IN DESTRUCTION FOLKS. THIS IS WHY WE HAVE NO TOURISM OR HISTORY TO RELATE TO FOLKS IN NOTTINGHAM. EVERT PART OF OUR DAM HERITAGE IN NOTTINGHAM HAS BEEN DEMOLISHED. THE COUNCIL SAY THAT HERITAGE TOURISM DOES NOT WORK, B*******. EVERT PART OF OUR HISTORY HAS BEEN DESTROYED OVER THE YEARS. NOTTINGHAM IS FULL OF HISTORY, FORGET ROBIN HOOD (WHO BY THE WAY COULD BE SUCH A BENEFIT TO THE CITY, BUT THE COUNCIL ARE CLUELESS). HERITAGE AND TOURISM DOES WORK, JUST LOOK AT HISTORICAL LOCATIONS SUCH AS CHESTER, YORK, DURHAM ET AL. THE COUNCIL ARE ONLY BEGINNING TO LEARN OF WHAT A GEM OF A TOWN THEY HAVE ON THEIR HANDS'

377278_10151218076326049_1888741435_n.jpg

They are clueless...That's why Sneinton Market and that side of town is a tip...they don't know what to do with it.Years of allowing retail parks to be built around the city...and they wonder why areas like Hockley and nearby areas are a ghost town.

You can never know the meaning of the phrase "Ghost Town" unless you've been in Broad Marsh Centre in recent years. It makes all other Ghost Towns look busy in comparison. The biggest unit has been empty for a couple of years, half the other units change hands every 6 months, and the ones which are occupied are all Pound Shops.

You see people wandering through in shocked amazement, obviously not prepared for what they found. Anyone coming into Nottingham from the railway station direction is confronted by an ugly, dirty, empty hole of a place. Great marketing and advertising.

Echo the sentiments regarding Broad Marsh, it's simply terrible, an ugly carbuncle and an embarrassment to the City of Nottingham.

It's interesting to note the urge to create new retail premises in the city centre when it's clear that few areas appear to be doing well, for a number of reasons. Take a look around at our once fair city which is apparently, somewhat amazingly, in the top few cities in the UK we are told.

Broad Marsh - poundshop city.

Hockley - a lovely and characterful area that the council are doing their best to empty of trade with their road systems and parking fees..

West End Arcade - closed as a thoroughfare due to a dated and apparently dangerous escalator. Shop owners reporting huge loss of business.

Trinity Square - as mentioned here unfeasibly ugly with long-term empy shop units.

Flying Horse Arcade - just a criminal act

Chapel Bar - tacky looking bar/restaurant land

Market Square - one remaining significant business in Debenhams (who would clearly like to move out)

I always liked Nottingham's city centre, I really did, but is has been ruined year on year, decade on decade. It would be easy for any visitor to view it merely as an evening weekend warzone with a dated '70s shopping mall containing predictable chain shops.

Criminal.

• Upvote 1

Certainly Mick, from another era. There are probably others too.

Nottingham city centre retail seems to largely consist of Victoria Centre and that's about it. I'm sure if it could accommodate them via an extension, the rest of the large and significant stores such as Marks and Spencer and Debenhams would also relocate to there leaving outdoor shopping in Nottingham pretty much to the pound shops, charity shops, Greggs et al.

Something has long needed doing in this city but the people in charge of city planning seem unable or unwilling to provide.

You look at the likes of the Odeon which this thread is about and whilst it can be argued that it was an unlovely building, it certainly has fond memories for many over many decades. I take the point of a fellow poster above about using it but then why allow a fine building such as the T. Bailey Forman premise to be replaced by the Corner House cinema which immediately puts stress on the ability of an Odeon or an ABC to survive in the city centre? I do realise there are other mitigating factors however, the Odeon has sadly just been left to rot for years before coming up with the usual plan to convert it into student accommodation.

I'd be very interested to know incidentally what plans there are to preserve (yes I'm joking!) the monks caves underneath the Odeon, or the nearby gardens which the centre of Nottingham was once famed for as a 'garden city'? I won't hold my breath...

It would make a great thread, generally, if people listed all the fantastic places that we've lost in our lifetime. They come very readily to mind and are discussed here from time to time. As we know some of the examples are absolutely shameful.

Drury Hill

The Black Boy

The Flying Horse

The Victoria Station

and so on. It goes on and on, but the people of this city appear to be powerless or unwilling to do or say anything about it.

A hit song by Cher in the early 70s comes to mind with this and many other topics about the once great town of Nottingham and surroundings:-

'If I could turn back time".

Sadly it is not possible and one just hopes that sanity will prevail and what is left will be preserved for future generations - but I doubt it!

They are not powerless, Stu but they are unwilling. Come the next elections the same people will all be voted back in to continue the ruination of our great city.

Other parties that got voted in didn't do any better in respect of the above though, Michael. It's beyond party politics in my humble opinion, Nottingham has a terrible record on these things over a very long period of time, full stop.

• 1 month later...

Wait... what happened to the Broadmarsh? What's happened to Hockley? All those charming arcades? I must have been away too long... I'll be in tears before the end of the night.

A hit song by Cher in the early 70s comes to mind with this and many other topics about the once great town of Nottingham and surroundings:-

'If I could turn back time".

Sadly it is not possible and one just hopes that sanity will prevail and what is left will be preserved for future generations - but I doubt it!

i'm sure that cher song was from the mid 80's trevor :biggrin:

as for baffling planning decisions, am i correct in thinking that notts trams are going to be routed over nottingham station in the future? if only there was a bridge, double track wouldn't that be handy?

wait, what, there was? it was demolished in the late 70's?

The tram line from Broad Marsh, going south, almost exactly follows the line of the old Great Central railway.

http://www.thetram.net/pdfs/phase2Map/clifton-via-wilford.pdf

As Phil Box points out, they've had to build a new bridge over the railway station to replace the one which was demolished. The tram viaduct near Broad Marsh car park was built to replace a viaduct which was in exactly the same location. The railway embankments which had survived near Wilford and Compton Acres are being reused for the tram. The Toll Bridge is being adjusted to take the tram.

The Victorians were right; the planners of the 1960s were wrong.

• Upvote 1

I think the last time a Nottingham council looked to the future with common sense was when they built the ring road in 1931...a big wide road not at all necessary when it was built...but boy has it proved useful as traffic has increased.

If only they'd had the guts in the sixties to go left up Edwards Lane,over Bestwood and onto Redhill as they originally planned it would have saved all the jams in Daybrook.

Same with access to the M1 through Clifton...the thought was there but not the gumption.All the houses set back to allow a dual carriageway, but fifty years on they're still thinking about it.

"i'm sure that cher song was from the mid 80's trevor :biggrin:"

You are right phil box and I stand corrected - released on June 1, 1989. Must have been looking at something else. :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEszTzdUMcY

If only they'd had the guts in the sixties to go left up Edwards Lane,over Bestwood and onto Redhill as they originally planned it would have saved all the jams in Daybrook.

Not really. The jams every day aren't so much in Daybrook as Sherwood and Carrington. I circumnavigate them every day. It wouldn't have helped that and that proposed road would have had to trample through through yet another piece of local countryside.