Sigh. not another one of these question...

Im aware Central TV had a base in Nottingham and pretty impressive studios at the time.

Im a big fan of the Upper Hand which featured several scenes around Nottingham if I recall correctly.

Im just wondering if anybody here can remember any more because I've trawled the internet and can't find a sausage. Ideally, I'd love to try and find the house which, unless they really did find it out on location in "Henley on Thames", then I would suspect it's in a smaller village outside Nottingham somewhere. Potentially it's been transformed into millions of new houses now since at least 15 years has passed, but there must be some hope.

So I thought I'd come to the source and ask people in the know about Nottingham.

Thanks

Simon

The church featured in the wedding episode of Caroline and Charlie which has supposedly burnt down overnight was the derelict church attached to Colwick hall. https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=colwick&hl=en&ll=52.945491,-1.106674&spn=0.000826,0.002411&hnear=Colwick,+Nottinghamshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19

• 11 months later...

I've found the house, but the person who lives there said there's a restriction on publishing pictures of her house for security reasons. Better recall the DVD's that were released then and all the videos on the internet. I think the real problem would be linking the picture to the address, rather than the picture itself.

Im umming and ahhing whether to release the information, but I think I'll respect the privacy concerns for now and not share.

It's a tory councillor too, so, I met get one of David Camerons cronies banging on my door at 5.30 in the morning for terrorism charges or something ridiculous. madashell

• Upvote 1

Wasn't the Inspector Jack Frost series made in Nottingham by one of the studios there? The last time I was there someone pointed the studios out to me but can't remember where. Can't say that I have ever recognised anywhere there when watching.

Watching one of the Horatio Hornblower DVD's last night, understand that Sir Edward Pellew aka Robert Lindsay was born in Ilkeston. HH brilliant series.

The house used was, at that time, owned by the Managing Director and owner of ERF Cables, Alan Combellack. He got £10,000 a series for use of the exterior of the house and one year donated it to Nottingham Junior Ice Hockey Club as his son played.

If remember correctly old ITV studios were down Lenton Lane just pass the railway bridge. The BBC think was next to the cathedral above what used to be the charity shop now the bead shop, then York House before moving down to the Boots Island site.

Mm hmm. Two connecting pieces of information posted there. I think that is now public domain enough for me to post, and one only has to search for Alan Combellack to find the address. The person who lives there now, seems concerned that any of this is in the public domain. Im just quite glad I didn't break the ice here first.

Thanks to DJBrenton and NewBasfordlad

The secrecy is mildly amusing. The house having been used in a TV series doesn't put it at any higher risk of burglary or anything. And I don't think there's much danger of anyone starting bus tours. Alan never kept it quiet anyway so lots of people know.

Same here. Im all for privacy. But the house has been used for a show, it's pictures in loads of Upper Hand videos on the internet, on DVD, pictured on the DVD Sleeve.

The main issue is that if you Google, there's zero link between The Upper Hand and that house. It's not public knowledge. So if you Google for the name of the real house, it's easy to find. You can also search for the Upper Hand, but the two simply aren't linked. At the moment. The lady is quite obviously a bit nervous, and I fully agreed with that. But to claim that there's some kind of restriction on pictures of her house being put on the internet given the DVD's available, it's a bit laughable.

Interestingly, I will say therefore as Combellack has been mentioned, it appears to be another Combellack living there.

If I was her, I'd be opening her house and giving guided tours for a fee. That's if anyone is at all interested in going and seeing!

Simon

Another Member here.... Had his house on Wilford Crescent West the Meadows used for filming 'Boon'

Incidentally, around 1970 I lived for a while on Wilford Crescent West, perhaps there may be a plaque there in years to come?

"Here Lived mick2me, founder of Nottstalgia"

I don't Think so! :)

• 6 years later...
On 9/25/2012 at 10:41 PM, sjdean said:

Im a big fan of the Upper Hand which featured several scenes around Nottingham if I recall correctly.

Im just wondering if anybody here can remember any more because I've trawled the internet and can't find a sausage. Ideally, I'd love to try and find the house which, unless they really did find it out on location in "Henley on Thames", then I would suspect it's in a smaller village outside Nottingham somewhere. Potentially it's been transformed into millions of new houses now since at least 15 years has passed, but there must be some hope.

Hi, I know this was asked years ago but i Think this is the house they used for the exterior shots from the series after doing some investigating  ..

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8528645,-0.9748657,3a,86.7y,312.11h,102.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMR2eSLpGMIwiF43viKCCCA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Thanks CT. I know Hickling, my old boss lived there, when I  were at Coal  boards xray  services. If I  remember, Grantham canal went into there. Does it still have Hickling Basin?

Hi CT, I had a look on google maps and found the basin at Hickling. It is part of the village area and used to be a turning and mooring area for canal boats working Nottingham to Grantham and back. Last time I  was in that vicinity was back in 75ish, when I used to deliver Birds Eye frozen foods. It was very picturesque what had been done. I had a chum who walked the entire length of the canal from Lady bay bridge to Grantham, in 3 stages. Walk about 8 miles, catch bus home then bus out to that point and carry on etc. He took hundreds of colour slides. No idea where he is now. Take care. B.

Many years ago there used to be a restaurant in a farmhouse at Hickling Basin. It was run by the Faulks family who did plant hire and still operate from there.You had to be ‘in the know’ to get a reservation. The aperitif was taken in the Plough opposite and then you trouped off to the farmhouse kitchen for a magnificent spread. You supplied your own wine. There was a similar setup at The Thatch at Rempstone. Once again you had to know the ‘right people’ to get a reservation. A friend of ours was one of these connected people so we dined at both places on a few occasions. This was back in the 80’s so probably not there anymore. I’ve just checked and see that ‘The Thatch’ is currently for sale. A very picturesque cottage.

My Great Grandad ran a pub in Hickling dont know the name or the years it was before my time my Grandad mentioned it a few times he said his dad drank all the profits, does anyone know the name of the pub and is it still there.