2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

How did such a small village support all those pubs?

Probably because the number of boatmen around at any one time would have kept a lot of pubs in business.

Quite possibly. There used to be 3 in Bleasby pre war. The Fisherman's Rest, which is now a private house, The Star and Garter which is now a care home and the Waggon and Horses which still exists as a pub.That was a  temperance house many years ago when the temperance movement was active in this country. I imagine the population, 800 now, was considerably less pre war.

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2012 at 10:41 PM, sjdean said:

Sigh. not another one of these question...

Im aware Central TV had a base in Nottingham and pretty impressive studios at the time.

Im a big fan of the Upper Hand which featured several scenes around Nottingham if I recall correctly.

Im just wondering if anybody here can remember any more because I've trawled the internet and can't find a sausage. Ideally, I'd love to try and find the house which, unless they really did find it out on location in "Henley on Thames", then I would suspect it's in a smaller village outside Nottingham somewhere. Potentially it's been transformed into millions of new houses now since at least 15 years has passed, but there must be some hope.

So I thought I'd come to the source and ask people in the know about Nottingham.

Thanks

Simon

my mother actually grew up in the house, the one it shows outside. she rode horses there too with my uncle.

• 1 year later...