All very well everyone going smokeless, but do miss that Autumn smell of leaves burning. When I do very occasionally get a whiff, immediately reminds me of those days with the evenings drawing in, hot dumpling stew on the stove and a kitchen with all the windows steamed up, yet warm and cosy inside.

"And greasy Joan doth keel the pot..." to quote a memorable line from an otherwise forgotten poem, that I vaguely recall captures similar sentiments.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So when William the Conquerer showed up in 1066 he got the smogs under control for a few years? Sorry couldn't resist it.

I remember the smog being a regular occurrence in 1960s, one particular one, as i used to be quite afraid on my own. I worked on Alfred Street in the City and we had a particular dense smog that cam

All very well everyone going smokeless, but do miss that Autumn smell of leaves burning. When I do very occasionally get a whiff, immediately reminds me of those days with the evenings drawing in, hot

One of Bill's poems.

When icicles hang by the wall
And Dick the shepherd blows his nail
And Tom bears logs into the hall,
And milk comes frozen home in pail,
When Blood is nipped and ways be foul,
Then nightly sings the staring owl,
Tu-who;
Tu-whit, tu-who: a merry note,
While greasy Joan doth keel the pot.

Remember what the day after Bonfire night was like in those pea souper days, what with the smog and the smoke from the bonfires, the air was thick, any one with chest problems like Asthma had a real struggle. On the walk to the bus stop for work the next morning , if you couldn't see the people in the smog, you knew they were there because of the little coughs coming from all directions. And still i would light up my Parky on the top deck of the bus.

A few of us from the office had night school throughout the Autumn and Winter in 1963 at Claremont School, and it seemed that our walk through town and up Mansfield Road was always in thick fog, even though in reality it couldn't have been EVERY Monday evening, could it?

I remember coming home from Glenbrook infants in fog that thick you had to just hold onto the hedge and try and see in your minds eye. I remember I got home one day and left the back door open and my mum shouting "Close the door quick, it's coming in". I turned around to see this big thick greeny black wave rolling into the house. It was like the 'day of the triffids' or something. Then you blew your nose and found a load of greeny black stuff up there too.

Kids today think coke's just for snorting.