I am a massive Notts County fan, but, my mum took me to Slab Square to see Forest bring the cup back and I remember seeing them on the tv winning the cup. I still have a copy of the old Nottingham Post with the special pull out when Forest won....we Notts fans dont all hate the Reds..lol

• Upvote 1

I recall some of the things from that day very clearly, the streets were absolutely dead, everyone and his dog was home watching it on TV or someone else's TV. I wasn't interested in soccer much back then, I was awakening to the opposite sex.. LOL

Like Ayupmeducks, I was not really interested in soccer back in 59; just hanging out with the gang in the village.

On the day, probably about 5 in the evening, I had just finished mucking out and feeding the dogs and was walking back up to the house at Trevart Kennels (now the RSPCA in ROT) when I heard this singing in the distance and getting closer.

Then saw a double decker, Skills or Trent, coming down the road from Nottingham and scarves hanging out of every window; full of Forest supporters.

As it turned off and started to go past the front of our house towards RoT, people were waving and yelling out of the windows that Forest had won; the bus a mobile sound of cheering and whistling. I remember even the bus driver joined in, blowing his horn.

When I got to the house, my parents were out the front and had been seeing off my Aunt when the bus went past and I rememebr my Mum telling me that they had waved and cheered as the bus went past. Strange because my parents did not really follow the soccer either, except the scores for the Pools each week (father was a rugby player of old and a very keen fan of that game).

Something that I still vividly remember to this day. Thanks Rude Girl for bringing the past to life again.

• Upvote 2

I recall the day that Forest won the cup in 19959. I was playing outside all afternoon and the streets were silent. It seemed that I was the only person in the estate that was not following the match.

Was it on radio or did they have televised finals then?

I remember Peter Dimmock too. My dad always watched the footie results with close interest, whilst checking his losing pools entries :)

I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the final. Forest were up two when Roy Dwight broke his leg after 27 minutes, and then they held on for the rest of the game. I can remember cheering my head off when the ref blew for time.

I remember my older brother and myself, standing in line for hours to get tickets for the final.

Never made it to the final,sold my two tickets at a profit. I don't think it was a huge amount, but for an 11 year old it was'a profit'.

• 2 weeks later...

When the team got back they did a tour of the city sat on the roof of a Nottingham City Transport single decker bus - all except for Roy Dwight who sat inside with his broekn leg. My parents took me to watch the bus as it went past the Forest entrance on its way up Mansfield Road.

I suspect health and safety would preclude such roof travel these days!

• 2 weeks later...

Like Soccerman I'm also a huge Notts fan but back in 1959 couldn't help getting caught up in Forest's cup success.

Elstree Drive where I lived at the time was absolutely deserted.

My dad went down to Wembley on the train with his workmates and even though he was a committed Notts fan he was delighted Forest won.

I've just bought the programme off ebay.

Everyone knows of course that Roy Dwight was Elton Johns uncle. Elton being born Reg Dwight.

Wasn't it Kenneth Wolstenholme (they think it's all over) who commentated on the game?

The DVD notes on Amazon say he did.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1959-Final-Nottingham-Forest-Luton/dp/B0046UH3OQ

According to Wikipedia Peter Dimmock left Grandstand in 1958 with David Coleman taking over.

I remember Peter Dimmock hosting Sporstview in the mid 50's

Jack Burkitt managed Notts briefly in the 60's but didn't enjoy much success.