Garden Street area - Radford

Ah, thanks, Cliff Ton!

I am always fascinated the see anything related to Garden Street! I loved that house to bits and I still think it was a tragedy that it had to be destroyed during the so-called slum clearances of the 1960s. It's true that the place was in a very dilapidated state by the time I knew it but if it had survived for just a few more years,it and many of the properties surrounding it would have been eligible for all sorts of improvement grants. Number 4 had no bathroom and no indoor toilet and I believe it had no electricity other than on the ground floor. Having said that, number 4 and surrounding properties were far better constructed than the high rise and low rise, flat roofed rubbish that replaced them in that area. Those properties could have been refurbished and still been standing now in a far better state than what took their place.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My last Christmas Eve visit to Garden Street was 54 years ago. Yet, every year on this day, my thoughts are irresistibly drawn to number 4.   By today's standards, the place was primitive in

A bit of a surprise for me on this topic.   My interest in Garden Street arises from the fact that two aunts lived there in the 1940s - 60s. They worked in one of the nearby clothing factori

Personally, I've never liked supermarkets. Much preferred the shops of my childhood like those on Denman Street and our local grocers where everything was weighed out and wrapped in paper. Loved the s

Jill,you weren't that far from my Grandmother's house on Bloomsgrove St.

Great times when I was small,she then moved to Anfield Terrace - which had no heating/hot water etc...terrible for an old lady,mind you the camp coffee laced with rum kept out the chills!

• 1 month later...

I spent the first 7 and a half years of my life visiting Garden Street. I do recall a boat yard on Norton Street, or I've heard it mentioned by my mother who'd been going to Garden Street all her life until 1965. Many is the time I've heard my Aunty Emily who lived in Garden Street talk of Bertha Skill's wet fish shop!

• 2 months later...

It's amazing how powerful childhood memories are, isn't it? Every year, round about this time, number 4 Garden Street starts looming large in my thoughts and creeping into my dreams. Although it is now 52 years since I last went there at Christmas, I can still see every detail of the place with perfect clarity. Cobbled street, gas lamps, kettle on the range fire, uncle George  sitting in his armchair while auntie Emily ferried in hot mince pies from the kitchen, along with home made elderberry wine.

Every year, before I left Nottingham in 1988, the urge to go back on Christmas eve and visit the site where the house stood was almost irresistible during the week before Christmas, even though I knew it was no longer there. Sometimes, I gave in and actually went. Even now, it still exerts a magnetic pull, although all concerned apart from my sister and myself are long gone. Odd, isn't it? I'm sure other members must experience the same feelings which seem to grow stronger instead of weaker with the passage of time. Perhaps it's part of growing old!

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I have very few memories myself from Garden Street but I know I was born at number 43 because it's on my birth certificate. I am sure my mum will have many as She was born there as well.  Her Grandmother Mother Edith Mary Watson lived there. Her Daughters were Sadie (My mum's mum and again born there) and Joan who both sadly passed away recently. Joans funeral was Friday and she was 96. Edith's husband was George Watson but I know he passed away quite young and never went to war because he was too ill. I recently spoke to Joan's daughters and they have memories of the house as well. I will have to ask my Mum if she can enlighten me more as I am sure she has many memories.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Christopher64.

I know Cliff Ton is going to be very interested in your mother's memories of Garden Street as he also had relatives living very close by.

If I'm correct, the house where you were born was much older than the terraced properties which stood opposite, ie the even numbered houses. I seem to recall that they had small front gardens and the windows had small panes of glass. One of my early memories is of watching a lady peg her washing out on the line in the front garden of one of those cottages.

It would be interesting to know how old the houses were and more about how your great grandmother came to live there. Look forward to reading your future posts.

I'm chuffed to bits to find someone who lived in Garden Street. It's made my weekend. Really loved that place!  :rolleyes:

The Garden Street area, including Hollins Mill, in the early 50s when you couldn't move for houses. I've marked Garden St itself with the two arrows; the main road at the lower end is Ilkeston Road, and at the top it's Denman Street.

1Nqn1ih.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brilliant photo, CT. This would be slightly earlier than the time of my visits, between 57 and 65, but I can see the old cottages on the right hand side as you walked down from Denman Street. I remember those clearly. Can't quite make out number 4 which was on the left hand side, near the bottom. It stood next to a factory (Vann's?) but seems obscured due to the camera angle. The photo brings back many memories!

Yesterday Mrs Red & I walked the length of what was Denman Street from St.Peters Street to Alfreton Road, took this snap of a bin on the alleyway between Norton/Garden Street & Ronald Street.  

Sitting outside the Falcon @ 5 on a Sunday afternoon its lake a race track up there! Beer was cracking from the Belvoir Brewery. 

DHxKGpRXcAEDIc2.jpgDHxKG2sXgAEI3Fg.jpg

And to think they razed that area in 1965 because they said it was a slum! Don't recall ever seeing anything like that mess strewn around back then. Could be worse, I suppose. Could be a child in the pushchair! I'm vaguely surprised there isn't!

• Like 1

Back in the 60s worked that area namely Marsdens/Vernons Denman street...........me and big Sid (Sidney Clifford) did the lay out when it converted to self -service.............great down to earth customers who had never been in a self -service store............enjoyed showing the old ladies how to shop with a basket,and remember one lady asking where she could sit and chat with her friends (as they did when it was Marsdens).........obviously got her a couple of chairs...........got a right rollicking for it from the area Manager.............lol.........as for big Sid last saw him in Mablethorpe about 30 years ago where he was running a pub..........love to see him again.........he was a Radford lad and did hear he was back in Nottingham,.........anyone know him ?

48 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Back in the 60s worked that area namely Marsdens/Vernons Denman street

I've posted this before somewhere, but it'll keep benjamin happy for a while. That might be him pushing the cart.

qtBmJZd.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks cliff-ton,.........and ive mentioned before thats not me pushing the cart...........but i could have pulled them blinds out...........lol.

If you were there between 62 and 65, i may have been in with my mum. Recall her buying tub butter from somewhere near there but have a feeling it may have been Maypole. Was there a Maypole in the area? I remember the lovely fascia and the lettering.

Cant remember a Maypole Jill,.......there probably was..........but i bet i served your Mam with Tub butter in Marsdens.......gave her some Patter and Patted your head............lol.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I've never liked supermarkets. Much preferred the shops of my childhood like those on Denman Street and our local grocers where everything was weighed out and wrapped in paper. Loved the smells. Likewise, the pot shop on Denman Street. My mother never failed to nip in there en route to Garden Street. She loved china and although it was all piled up in baskets and looked more like a jumble sale, it was more exciting searching for plates, cups, saucers, tea services. Seeing them lined up on shelves just doesn't do it for me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Sometimes, Jill you sound like a feminine version of our friend, mr, Gould.  :biggrin:. I remember that part of his documentary on Toronto when he pronounced the Eaton Center, "Absurd."  I loved it, I'm no great fan of those places either.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

The old Radford Mill is being converted to residential use, and clearly includes a new bit sticking out at the front. Once completed I guess it might blend in, but at the moment it doesn't look too promising.......

TJS8PZb.jpg

fuZjgZr.jpg

• Like 1

The new bit will probably look like an eyesore but I'm so pleased the existing building hasn't been demolished. I know it's listed but these things can still happen. I can remember sitting in my coachbuilt pram, staring up at that tower! Visited number 4 Garden Street, directly opposite, once a week from birth until I started Berridge at 4 years old and then only went during school holidays but Garden Street holds a very special place in my memories. Wish it had been left alone. The terraced houses were solidly built and could gave been upgraded. Number 4, a former pub, was a lovely building, although totally without mod cons. Still miss it!

Rarely visit this site but like to now and then.  Does anybody remember a nursery of sort on Highurst Street.  I was born on Bentick Road opposite the Ukranian Club and attended some such place in the early fifties but remember nothing.  Moved to Forest Road East in 1954 and am very interested in this part of Nottingham as it used to be.  I believe Jill and Cliff Ton may help. 

Although I recall Emily who lived in Garden Street talking about Highurst Street, I wasn't familiar with it myself. She often mentioned surrounding streets... Arundel Street, for instance. Other than going to see Emily and George and shopping with my mother on Denman Street en route, I didn't go anywhere else in the area. Emily and George left number 4 early in 1965 as it had a CPO slapped on it and they moved away.

I know Cliff Ton also had relatives on Garden Street but I don't think he visited all that often. He may have more knowledge of the surrounding area.

50 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I know Cliff Ton also had relatives on Garden Street but I don't think he visited all that often. He may have more knowledge of the surrounding area.

I think you knew the area much better than I did, Jill.  I only visited a few occasions and the last time would've been 63-64. Being young then, I had no idea where we were within Nottingham and it's only in later years I was able to put 2 + 2 together.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Garden Street area - Radford