Arkwright Street to reappear?

I've always thought the whole of the Meadows was turned into a dead end by the closing of Arkwright Street...murder to find your way round unless you happened to live there,and completely disjointed...like driving into a one way industrial estate.They need to do the same with Sneinton...and shoot every third traffic warden while they're at it.Either that or demolish the lot and let Tescos build a Tesco town on the site.

I know which I would sooner have.

http://www.pictureth...018152&prevUrl=

Unfortunately in this day and age the long streets full of continuous shops are long gone thanks to Tesco and the rest.Can you imagine the old Arkwright street today? It would be like Radford Road with every other shop tinned up.

Queens Drive never was a road

Queens Drive was definitely a road, running from the Toll Bridge up to the railway station at Carrington Street, and I travelled it many times on buses, as well as my early days of driving.

It stopped being a through-road in the late 1970s when the "new" Queens Drive took it around the outside of the Meadows and past the old Ordnance Factory, joining up with Wilford Road near the railway bridge. From that time the "original" Queens Drive gradually reverted to being a footpath and walkway.

From...'My Nottingham'

Queen's Walk was named after Queen Victoria's visit in 1843 as she passed through Midland station on her way from Chatsworth to Belvoir Castle. It is 1 km long and was finished and opened in July 1850. Trees were planted along its length in 1862 to overcome flooding.

In 1927 it was renamed Queen's Drive as it became a highway, but reverted once more to Queen's Walk during the restructuring of the Meadows area in the 1970's.

I have always said getting rid of most of Arkwright Street was a mistake, and now when I return to England and go to Nottingham, I can say I was right, especially when I am sitting in a traffic jam on London Road.

A couple of photos of Queens Drive when it was a through road from the Toll Bridge to the Station

queen1.jpg

Looking towards the Toll Bridge end, the next building (just visible as a grey shape) on the left edge of the photo is the Cremorne Hotel.

queen2.jpg

With your back to the Toll Bridge, the Cremorne is on the left, and we are looking at the old GC sidings

In the period Queens Walk was a Drive, it was a more major road than Arkwright Street as a southerly Route from the city.

Major Drawerback was from Wilford Road your only routes took you via the embankment a 20mph zone.

Through a toll(bridge) or back over clifton bridge. It was not a good route for Going Bridgeford Side.

I recently went back to Nottingham on a railtour and had a look around the area around the station.

The whole Arkwright Street redevelopment is a complete and utter shambles. It 's been done without any planning or forethought. Smacks of local government giving contracts to firms for infrastructure projects just for the sake of it.

Not that I would suggest that they are giving money out to friendly beneficiaries (!).

Unbelievably, they are rebuilding a bridge over the station to take the trams over to West Bridgford.

What was wrong with the superb Great Central bridge and brick arches that were already there and which they removed not so long ago?

Am I right in thinking that they are also going to rebuild the bridge over the Trent as well?

Worst of all, walking down to Broad Marsh, lots of shops closed - including the restaurant that replaced Redmayne and Todd. But the shopping centre itself ... what a dump! Most of it boarded up. Quite depressing.

Vic Centre looks a bit better - and I was actually pleased to see that the water clock is working (probably due to the efforts of folks here).

All in all, sad to see change when they replace things with something worse.

From...'My Nottingham'

Queen's Walk was named after Queen Victoria's visit in 1843 as she passed through Midland station on her way from Chatsworth to Belvoir Castle. It is 1 km long and was finished and opened in July 1850. Trees were planted along its length in 1862 to overcome flooding.

In 1927 it was renamed Queen's Drive as it became a highway, but reverted once more to Queen's Walk during the restructuring of the Meadows area in the 1970's.

It was specifically built for the Queen to travel to open the Clifton Colliery and the Toll Bridge.

I only knew it as Queens Drive, from the Midland Station to the top of Wilford Road.

In which case Victoria must have made another visit to Nottingham, as the bridge didn't open till 16th June 1870...her first visit was in 1843.

I'll have to look it up, but I'm sure I read Queens Drive was made for the old Queen to travel to open the Clifton Colliery and the Toll Bridge.

From the book "Rail Centres - Nottingham" by Michael Vanns ..........

For the visit of Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort on 4 December 1843, a new road was built parallel to Station Street, south of the railway....and was appropriately christened Queen's Road in honour of the event

Seems there was more than one occasion when Queen Vic visited the area

Well Clifton wasn't officially opened until the late 1860's...I'm damned if I can recall where I read Queens Drive was built for that occasion... I was sure I had it in one of the books I have, but looks like I read it elsewhere.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, being demolished to make way for the proposed 100+ new homes. This apparently includes the development of the 'historic' Arkwright Walk. Well, it has been there nearly 40 years. You've got to laugh.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/the-meadows-in-nottingham-could-be-transformed-with-construction-of-112-new-homes/story-29766445-detail/story.html