Crap Cars of the 70's

Heres one. Do you now what it is?

Heres the clues?

993 cc 3 cylinder 2-stroke engine,

Manually adjustable radiator louvers,

free-wheel device

Do you kow any other Crap (or good) Cars of the Era?

post-15-1136332292_thumb.png

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chap went into Halfords and asked "have you got a pair of windscreen wipers for a Lada?". The sales assistant thought about it and then replied "we normally ask for cash, but that would be s fair swap

Just looked back at this post of yours Mick...can you imagine today? "I shall have to warn you sir that those three kids not safely restrained in safety belts are gonna cost you,as is the missing num

My Dad had a vauxhall victor,he had it for donkeys years ,he loved that car,A strange thing is after he died,my daughter came downstairs (she had just looked through her bedroom window)she said 'grand

Posted Images

And heres my first car.

The Dagenham Dustbin.

corhis1.jpg

Ford Cortina Mk1 1962-66 Number sold 1,013,391

Ford-Britain realised that there was a gap in the market between small and large family cars. The plug to fill it was its top-secret 'Archbishop' project, launched on 21 September 1962 and named Cortina after the venue for the 1960 Winter Olympics. The car was to be called 'Caprino', until it was discovered that it meant 'goat's dung' in Italian. The Cortina was a big hit, being larger and cheaper than its main rivals, such as the Austin/Morris 1100. In the first year, Ford shifted more than 250,000 - a record for a British-built car. Initially the Cortina was available only as a two-door, but it was joined by a four-door and, most exciting of all, by the Lotus Cortina in 1963. Bodyshells were sent to the Lotus factory where a twin-cam engine, revised suspension and light aluminium doors, bonnet and boot-lid were fitted. For those who couldn't afford a Lotus-Cortina, the Cortina GT was the next best thing. Estate models meant even more practicality and, in the DeLuxe version, even more plastic, as huge fake-wood Di-Noc panels were fixed to the sides. The Mk1 Cortina was a crucial car for Ford: not only was it the company's best seller, but it also got it heavily into motorsport. There are few survivors, however, on account of rust and neglect.

post-15-1136333273_thumb.jpg

Having a husband who is turned 70 makes this topic so easy to add too.

The Ford Cortina was a great car, we owned a 1600E with a Lotus engine. This was not good enough for the other half so he decided to refine the cylinder head. It appears that when things are mass produced they tend to be slightly 'off' centre and therefore narrow the ports down and stop the gas flow. I am not technically minded so I believed all that I was fed. We had all meals on our lap for a week while he ground out the ports so they matched. The car ran so much better then before, or so I am told by the person who he swapped it with two weeks after completion...

I believe the only difference body wise was the black panel behind the number plate and the number plate light.

Swapping the car is in his blood, he once owned a map car with a starting handle. This was fine until he and the other two co-owners were on the Forest and it was time to start the car, with the handle. It appears that starting handles were notorious for kicking back if you didn't get it just right. This happened two or three times to his friend who was very calm as a rule. Next thing they knew he put the starting handle through the windscreen and walked away uttering 'that is my share of the £50.00 we payed for it'.

We also owned a Rover 16, we bought it for £9.00 and sold it some six months later for £5.00.

As you have probably gathered we have had quite a few cars in the past and this was before the DVLA wanted to know what you were having for breakfast, I think the record stand at something like 7 in one day.

Does anyone remember Henry Cooper, the mechanic that was around in the 1960's, he worked some where at the bottom of Denman Street, in Radford?

A flyswat

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone remember the little three wheeled 'messerschimt' came out late 50's early 60's I think, and then of course the bubble car. I think neither had a reverse gear.

• Upvote 1

Messerschmitt-sc.jpg

1958 Messerschmitt

Of course, My art teacher at Trent Bridge School J.B.Simons, had one.

Never a Crap car of any decade, Very collectable now, try Ebay?

It looks like a Trabant but i've got a feeling i'm wrong

It's a Nissan Figaro

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

1991 FigaroThe Figaro was a small retro-styled car produced by Nissan but not sold under that marque. The Figaro was introduced at the 1989 Tokyo Motor Show under the slogan, "Back to the Future". With a design based on the cars of the 1950s, the Figaro hid mechanicals based on the compact Micra. The Figaro was built by a Nissan special projects group called the 'Pike Factory'. The Pike Factory also produced other 'niche' automobiles at this time such as the Be-1, Pao and S-Cargo.

Only four colours were available: Topaz Mist, Emerald Green, Pale Aqua, Lapis Grey. The least popular was Topaz Mist, which has now become the most sought-after colour.

The roof was retractable and the car was comfortable for two with leather seats, air conditioning, and a comprehensive (CD/tape/radio) entertainment system with a 150 watt amplifier. It was designed by Shoji Takahashi, who won a competition with his unique car. The car was so desirable that a lottery was held to determine who would be able to purchase the 20,000 cars made in 1991 .

You got it there - A sight to see

I missed it all - Oh woe is me.

A Messerschmit? - A bright blue Lada?

A rocket ship? – (Report in Pravda)

Or none of these as is your want,

But dressed in clothes by Mary Quant

You went to the show with good in tent

But then had time to repent

At your haste at picking out this car

When after really not too far

The floor gave way the engine blew

The doors would need more than glue.

Now all is well and home you are

And vowed never to have another car.

A trip out now is quite adventurous

The TANDEM makes the ride stupendous

(The best I could do.)

A ;)

• 2 years later...
Another worthy addition.

imp_65.jpg

hillmanimp-jr.jpg

The Hillman Imp was one of the best cars that I owned, around 1972.

Took me for miles untill the cylinder head gasket went,

(Aluminium engine)

How about this one:

car_photo_216807_7.jpg

No, I did not own one!

Heres one. Do you now what it is?

Heres the clues?

993 cc 3 cylinder 2-stroke engine,

Manually adjustable radiator louvers,

free-wheel device

Do you kow any other Crap (or good) Cars of the Era?

So what was this one Mick? I can't see an answer, I can only guess at NSU

So what was this one Mick? I can't see an answer, I can only guess at NSU

Nope - It's a Wartburg! They used the old SAAB 3-cyl 2-stroke engine - hence the free-wheel system so you didn't seize the engine going down hills. I once drove one to Scotland and back - they were actually fun to drive - once you were rolling you didn't need to use the clutch - just lift off the gas, change gear, foot back on the gas! You could down-shift too if you gave it a few revs in neutral and "felt" it into gear!

The one on the stamp is a Moskvitch:

800px-Moskvitch_427.jpg

Ta Eric

Wartburg whatever happened to them? .....................LOL........ smile2

I think you are right Eric.

Though that is not the car on the stamp.

(You cant expect me to remember an answer two years old)

That car had louvres that you could set to stop air flowing through the radiator.

Ideal for the frozen Meadowsw winters of the 70's

What was it?

P8030403.jpg

The one on the stamp is a Moskvitch 412 - it says so in the lower left corner!

The one on the stamp is a Moskvitch 412 - it says so in the lower left corner!

RIGHT! Thats given the game away then!

How long havbe you been able to read Russian Eric?