Crap Cars of the 70's

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chap went into Halfords and asked "have you got a pair of windscreen wipers for a Lada?". The sales assistant thought about it and then replied "we normally ask for cash, but that would be s fair swap

Just looked back at this post of yours Mick...can you imagine today? "I shall have to warn you sir that those three kids not safely restrained in safety belts are gonna cost you,as is the missing num

My Dad had a vauxhall victor,he had it for donkeys years ,he loved that car,A strange thing is after he died,my daughter came downstairs (she had just looked through her bedroom window)she said 'grand

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Forward looking dash cameras are very common in Russia, anyone have one in the UK?

Yes I have four different Dashcams bought over the year. #3 & #4 are 1080p,

#4 is front and rear camera with GPS mapping recording acceleration and deceleration/impact event/file locking.

Dual Camera Lens Car DVR Vehicle Night Vision GPS Drive Route G-Sensor US X6000

• 2 years later...

Cracking tread pity there so many broken links & unnecessary quoting going on

Anyway this is good

The 10 most endangered British cars

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/campaign-to-save-everyday-british-classics/

Find statistics about every make and model of vehicle registered in the UK

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/

My Dad had a vauxhall victor,he had it for donkeys years ,he loved that car,A strange thing is after he died,my daughter came downstairs (she had just looked through her bedroom window)she said 'grandads here' she still to this day swears his car was outside our house,there were not many viva's around at that time,I looked out the front window ,for a split second I saw the car ,then it was gone.

• Upvote 2

I can see where everyday cars simply don't have a desirability or cult following.. yet!

Proton,rover,Hyundai, kia may all become collectable. Datsuns,Colts,Lancers etc...are being seen more at car shows.

But some were rotten then,the last Princess model,Triumph Acclaim, the allegro estate..the kitten??

My daughter was loaned a Dahoo Matiz when her car was written off. She took me out for a drive & I screamed for christ sake change up, the engine was screaming for mercy, the noise was deafening too ! We were travelling at no more than 45 mph.

We ARE in top gear dad was her reply.

A truly awful car, but some people bought em !

When me and the wife first got together (not much money) had some hilliarius cars bought mainly from auctions,i had a nice car but she insisted she must have a car.............bought her a navy blue morris marina with white painted tyres a 1300 with an 1800 engine put, in we called it the beast,£200 blew up after 6 months.

Next came a Triumph Dolomite £200 lasted about 9 months back suspension went on the A1,Then a nice Orange Lada £200 lasted nearly a year finally died in a place called Everton near Gainsborough,then came a lovely looking Austin Princess £150 short lived,fell to bits in a car wash,but the final straw for her came when she was pregnant and i insisted she should have this lovely two seated(buckets) yellow Capri big wing mirrors,domed bonnet the works,and as I wedged her into it on Northgate,it was the first time I saw her cry I thought it was with Joy,but no it was anger,had to give it away to a mate on Bestwood.

After that she always bought her own cars,and has been happy ever since.............lol

Very funny Benjamin!!

I bought a Talbot and was going over Trent Bridge with herself for her final scan...it was shuddering like a spitfire going down!!...she was screaming and calling me all known Irish profanities.. it died near the TBI...she hopped out and into a cab..

When the wife started crying..........it was 'shades of Nervous Nerris' from Fools and Horses.............bet you knew the bloke i gave the car to,Dave Evans lived on Raymede and Gainsford close,known him all my life did all my repairs for years,a Golden Ball regular..........

The Hillman Avengers did not have remote central locking - and when you put the key in the drivers door lock you could see and feel the door panel move inwards.

I had a Citroen Dyane (i.e. up market 2CV) - great fun wit its 602cc engine, umberlla handle gear change and bouncy suspension, but I was so glad I never had a prang, as the metal work would give no protection.

The worst, and simultaneously most under rated car of the 1970s was:

Ta Daaa!!!!

The Simca 1100.

I had several of them, a gold one, a green one and a white one.

Plus points:

Very cheap

The first ever transverse engined front wheel drive hatchback.

Fully reclining seats. (I often slept very comfortably in mine on caving trips etc.)

Reasonable economy.

Almost indestructible engine.

Minus points:

Noisy engine

Body rotted so fast they fell off the wheels.... Pity.

Col

With all the comments about the Lada I am surprised that no-one has come up with the old joke -

Why does a Lada have a heated rear screen - So your hands do not get cold when you are pushing it.

For all its' mentions we went all over the UK following the Forest in a Hillman Imp sport (with the bag of cement in the front) and the only problem we had was a broken accelerator cable whilst going down the M1 near Trowell services. A quick roadside repair by tying the throttle open with a shoe lace got us to the AA point at Trowell with the engine screaming its guts out. The AA man pulled enough loose cable through to rejoin it with a solderless nipple which still left the throttle partly open so it was revving quite highly all the time. We made it to the game and home again until we could get a new cable and fit it. Had an Imp in OZ as a cheap second car and provided you used the right coolant and got underneath now and again to tighten the linkage to the gear lever had no problems with it, a great little car to take stuff to the tip with the rear seat folded down.

Also had a MKII Cortina which was slowly converting to rust in the top of the wings. Just before we left for OZ I fitted the reinforcing kits to the top of the strut towers and sold it cheap to a mate who had a similar model.

In most areas down under we do not need to use salt on the roads so rust is not so much a problem from that source but dust sealing and dust lodging underneath and then becoming wet turned many a sill or door bottom into ferrous oxide.

One of my first company cars in OZ was the late lamented Leyland P76 prone to many faults not least of which was the drivers side window disappearing into the door if you hit a large pothole. Its' real claim to fame was the ability to get a 44 gallon drum in the boot. Surviving ones are worth a small fortune.

Chap went into Halfords and asked "have you got a pair of windscreen wipers for a Lada?". The sales assistant thought about it and then replied "we normally ask for cash, but that would be s fair swap"!

• Upvote 2

An old boyfriend of mine had a K reg (1972) mark 3 ford cortina 1600GT. He was only 17 at the time (1976)and had saved his pennies and bought it as his first car . It had 4x super cibie spotlights on the front which lit the town up when they were on. Great car but one day the electrics burnt out . My grandad was a retired auto electrician and showed him how to trace each wire and replace it with new wire and between them 're-wired' the whole car . Lasted until he sold it a couple of years later !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

If we're brutally honest ALL 70 cars were crap.

• Upvote 1

Heres one. Do you now what it is?

Heres the clues?

993 cc 3 cylinder 2-stroke engine,

Manually adjustable radiator louvers,

free-wheel device

Do you kow any other Crap (or good) Cars of the Era?

Moscovich?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk