Crap Cars of the 70's

RIGHT! Thats given the game away then!

How long havbe you been able to read Russian Eric?

It's easy - first you hold the monitor upside down while standing on one leg on the office chair. Then....

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chap went into Halfords and asked "have you got a pair of windscreen wipers for a Lada?". The sales assistant thought about it and then replied "we normally ask for cash, but that would be s fair swap

Just looked back at this post of yours Mick...can you imagine today? "I shall have to warn you sir that those three kids not safely restrained in safety belts are gonna cost you,as is the missing num

My Dad had a vauxhall victor,he had it for donkeys years ,he loved that car,A strange thing is after he died,my daughter came downstairs (she had just looked through her bedroom window)she said 'grand

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
The 1972 Wartburg Knight Estate had a 993 cc 3 cylinder 2-stroke engine, manually adjustable radiator louvers and a free-wheel device.

A bloke I used to work with had one of those.

There's a car park under the Queen Street Post Office which Post Office Telephones people used to use in the 70s and we always knew when he used his Warty for work as the underground car park resembled a combination of a foggy day down Stoke Lane and a battlefield during a WW1 gas attack every time he started it up.

There's a car park under the Queen Street Post Office which Post Office Telephones people used to use in the 70s and we always knew when he used his Warty for work as the underground car park resembled a combination of a foggy day down Stoke Lane and a battlefield during a WW1 gas attack every time he started it up.

Yeah - but I bet there weren't any mosquitoes!

Yeah - but I bet there weren't any mosquitoes!

There you go an answer to the tunnels, and as for the Mosquitoes the Spitfire was far better

• 3 weeks later...

My earliest memories of Beefsteak, A big freckled guy half hanging out of my open topped MG Midget!

What year would that be Ian?

I needed a shoe horn just to get in and out (and I was at my fighting weight then as well (Imagine it now!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Over here they call an MGB a LITTLE car - clearly they don't understand "little"!

Here's some 70's cars My Dad owned. Although, we didn't own some of them till the 80's...times were hard etc :-)

broch5-15.jpg

Vauxhall Viva, blue plastic seats, 1st degree burns on your legs in the summer

Hillman_Avenger_front.JPG

The Hillman Avenger... I love this one. I can still remember the no plate to this too RRA 900K

reliant_robin_restored_203x152.jpg

Reliant Regal Supervan. Always incorrectly called a Robin Reliant. There's no such thing as a Robin Reliant. There's a Reliant Robin, but that wasn't a van, it was car ;-) Being the smallest i used to get to ride in the back bit. Imagine them allowing that now!

• 3 months later...
Reliant Regal Supervan. Always incorrectly called a Robin Reliant. There's no such thing as a Robin Reliant. There's a Reliant Robin, but that wasn't a van, it was car ;-) Being the smallest i used to get to ride in the back bit. Imagine them allowing that now!

No it always called a plastic pig. All my cars in the 60's, 70's 80,s were and still are adverts for scrapyards.

How about this one:

car_photo_216807_7.jpg

No, I did not own one!

This was my very first car, it was a 63 or 64, re sprayed metallic blue, which soon became non metallic due to the cheap job the guy I bought it from did on it!

My most vivid memory was when I eas driving on Radford rd, towards Gregory blvd, and the bell housing came apart and hit the road bringing the car to a rapid halt.

They dont build em like that anymore...........................thank God! Just remembered its reg, XTL 504, wish id kept it, probably been a few bobs worth now!

Not technically a 70's car, my first car was a Mini Traveller in the early 70's. It had seen better days by the time I got it, and by the time I got rid of it, you could see the road through the floor as you drove along. My husbands first car in the mid 60's was a Renault Dauphine. He said he had to keep a bag of sand permanently in the front boot, [rear engine job] to keep the front end on the road.

Not technically a 70's car, my first car was a Mini Traveller in the early 70's. It had seen better days by the time I got it, and by the time I got rid of it, you could see the road through the floor as you drove along. My husbands first car in the mid 60's was a Renault Dauphine. He said he had to keep a bag of sand permanently in the front boot, [rear engine job] to keep the front end on the road.

Strange isn`t it how memory can be `jogged`

I was driving down a motorway in Germany in early 1960`s when overtaken by one of the Dauphines. On returning to the inside lane the car just `took off' did several mid-air turns and landed upright at the side of the road. My mate had his camera out at the time and we have some amazing pictures,I must look them out now I have been reminded.

• 3 months later...

Is That a 'Bond' Bug?

Where was the engine?

Talking of weight distribution, I had to put extra weight in the Boot (Bonnet) of my Hillman imp

Hi,

The Bond Bug was based on the Reliant Regal, the engine was at the front (just behind the front wheel and at the side of the driver's legs). The engine was Reliant's own lightweight 700cc four cylinder. I think the rear axle was BMC. Rear alloy wheels were Dunlop, the front wheel was steel.

The first Bond minicar was the Mark A, which came on the market in 1949. They were powered by 125cc or 197cc Villiers 10D or 6E engines.

The Mark B appeared in June 1951, with various improvements but the same engines.

The Mark C was launched in January 1953 which used the 197cc 6E. Later models of this mark had the 8E.

In May 1956 the Mark D arrived and its 9E engine was considered to make a distinct improvement. Electric starting was an option on this model, but with kick starting retained for emergencies. Prior to this model starting had been by hand pull inside the car.

The Mark E saw considerable changes and the Villiers engine was now considered one of the car's weakest point.

They then went on to make Scooters !?

Have found images of Mk D & G but despite getting them down to 15kb are too big for the space available - won't bother transferring to p.bucket etc.

Can't remember a Bond before the bug other than the old 2 stroke motorcycle engine ones? had one once, right heap of crap! think 250cc with "Siba"? dynastart a sort of dynamo that also spun engine when current put into it, half the time though had to climb in bonnet and kickstart it, during one such episode forgot to lock bonnet, just got started and up it flew, couldn't see a thing till hinges snapped and up over the roof it went. Another time struck in gear in traffic jam at skeggy clutch starting to drag as operating rod wore, creeping forward towards copper on point duty, no tax etc, cant stop it as flat battery, at last minute he waved us on, got all the way home with no clutch, crashing gears and judging every light and island etc!

Can't remember a Bond before the bug other than the old 2 stroke motorcycle engine ones? had one once, right heap of crap! think 250cc with "Siba"? dynastart a sort of dynamo that also spun engine when current put into it, half the time though had to climb in bonnet and kickstart it, during one such episode forgot to lock bonnet, just got started and up it flew, couldn't see a thing till hinges snapped and up over the roof it went.

Yep - I recall the kick-start ones,,,, you had to put your foot inside the engine bay to kick it !?!? That alone looked a bit odd to passers by !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a similar experience with a bonnet,,,, tho' years later. I went for a job interview & met the interviewer on the building site. He arrived in his New pride & joy - a Rover SDI. He asked me to move it whilst he was in a meeting,,,,, he then came out as I was still in the drivers seat. He climbed in the passenger side & told em to take us back to the office. So far - so good ! On a by-pass he told me to put my foot down - so I did. almost immediately the bonnet shot up & smashed into the windscreen,,,, there was a small gap between the bottom of the window & the bottom of the bonnet for me to bring it to a halt.

I thought that was the end of my interview & was slightly worried about what he would say,,,,, but all was o.k cos a couple of weeks previously, the mechanic couldn't open the bonnet & forced it - thereby breaking the catch. Although he had 'mended' it,,,, it still failed.

It's a good job we were only on a by-pass & not tonning it on a motorway (which of course I would never do).

Job ? - yep I got the job.

Littlebro: Nah,,,, they came much much later,,,,,,, (and had a nextra wheel) but I had forgetten about them - thanks.