Crap Cars of the 70's

Vauxhall Viva - my god, another General Motors catastrophe. Rootes Avenger - pathetic. Hillman Hunter - ha ha. Leyland P76. Often called P38 cos it was half a car. The V8 was scary. Here in Oz they put a 4.1 litre straight 6 from the falcon into the Cortina. OK in a straight line, but come the corner. Also a 3.3 litre which was just as heavy, but slower. But he best of all was the Skoda - that weird little thing with the rear engine. Was it a two stroke? 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chap went into Halfords and asked "have you got a pair of windscreen wipers for a Lada?". The sales assistant thought about it and then replied "we normally ask for cash, but that would be s fair swap

Just looked back at this post of yours Mick...can you imagine today? "I shall have to warn you sir that those three kids not safely restrained in safety belts are gonna cost you,as is the missing num

My Dad had a vauxhall victor,he had it for donkeys years ,he loved that car,A strange thing is after he died,my daughter came downstairs (she had just looked through her bedroom window)she said 'grand

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Winnie6664 said:

Vauxhall Viva - my god, another General Motors catastrophe.

Rootes Avenger - pathetic. 

Story of my life !  

My first ever car was a Vauxhall Viva HC, and the car in which I did all my driving lessons was a Hillman Avenger.

4 hours ago, Winnie6664 said:

Leyland P76

First project I worked on after arriving in OZ was the steering and suspension of the P76 for replacement parts. Built by Leyland at Zetland, one of their two plants in Sydney. It was generally renowned as a lemon, early cars had major build quality problems and reliability issues. Surprisingly it won Wheels Car of the Year in 1973, when it ceased production in 1976 they had built 18,000 of them. Its main claim to fame was that you could put a 44 gallon drum in the boot. (photo from wiki)

220px-Leyland_P76_with_44_gallon_drum.JPG

4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Vauxhall Viva HC

I learned to drive and passed my test in a HB Viva 

The LJ Torana in Australia, a descendant of the HB/HC had a power plants from 1,2 litres and up to a 3,3 litre straight six engine as an option

• Like 1

My fust car was a 1954 Ford Popular. Used to use more oil than petrol, due I think, to poor valves and needing a rebore and oversized rings. At least, that's what I were told.

Mine also.......very embarrassing when i used to get me Date to put the left indicator back after every left turn .. while i was driving.........

Even worse when i asked her to give me a ''Crank start'' on the front at Skegness........:Shock:

• Like 1

It use to amuse me when it was raining and you put the wiper on. When ascending Ilkeston Road or Derby Road the bloody wiper seemed to come to a standstill, depend how much accelerator you put on.

With my 1947 MG TC sportscar I had to loosen the securing wing nut with a mallet to make the passenger seat recline. Imagine the look on my girlfriend’s face when I appeared at the side of the car with a heavy mallet in my hand!

1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

With my 1947 MG TC sportscar I had to loosen the securing wing nut with a mallet to make it recline. Imagine the look on my girlfriend’s face when I appeared at the side of the car with a heavy mallet in my hand!

As she said at the time, " I prefer the run out of petrol excuse"        ;)