Crap Cars of the 70's

Re the original question, surprised no one has mentioned (or have they?) there was a Saab 3 cyl 2 stroke car, if not popular I saw more than one, I think following a big price rise in petrol (middle east war?) they started fitting V4 4 stroke Ford engines. seem to recall a V4 badge on the rear? And whilst not a 1970's car who recalls the austin metropolitan, usually red/white they tipped over alot as very narrow wheelbase

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chap went into Halfords and asked "have you got a pair of windscreen wipers for a Lada?". The sales assistant thought about it and then replied "we normally ask for cash, but that would be s fair swap

Just looked back at this post of yours Mick...can you imagine today? "I shall have to warn you sir that those three kids not safely restrained in safety belts are gonna cost you,as is the missing num

My Dad had a vauxhall victor,he had it for donkeys years ,he loved that car,A strange thing is after he died,my daughter came downstairs (she had just looked through her bedroom window)she said 'grand

Posted Images

Re the original question, surprised no one has mentioned (or have they?) there was a Saab 3 cyl 2 stroke car, if not popular I saw more than one, I think following a big price rise in petrol (middle east war?) they started fitting V4 4 stroke Ford engines. seem to recall a V4 badge on the rear? And whilst not a 1970's car who recalls the austin metropolitan, usually red/white they tipped over alot as very narrow wheelbase

!congrats! The Saab was the '96', whatever that stood for, & indeed ran on 3 cylinders making a very distinctive engine sound. I also recall the Metropolitan, from the 60's, supposedly based on american design!! But far too expensive for what you got!! Good ones sell for serious £££'s nowadays........

Don't see the Messerschmidts over here, but we do see the Heinkels! Actually sold here as BMWs or Isettas! There was both a 3-wheel and a 4-wheel version - they look the same, the two rear wheels on the 4-wheel one are very close together. Good ones sell for very big $

14490403_ff3d2de8dd.jpg

When I worked there, there were two guys in the stores, a fellow who looked a bit like Richard Stilgo but with Ginger hair and a lad named Kevin

SAAB sold the rights to their 3-cyl 2-stroke engine to Wartburg - remember them?

The Austin Metropolitan was, indeed, an American design and was sold here as a Nash Metropolitan - another one that, in good shape, sells for big $$$!

SAAB sold the rights to their 3-cyl 2-stroke engine to Wartburg - remember them?

The Austin Metropolitan was, indeed, an American design and was sold here as a Nash Metropolitan - another one that, in good shape, sells for big $$$!

Wartburg Knight, another very interesting but shortlived car.......... !rotfl! I've only driven one Metropolitan, it rocked & rolled enough to make you seasick!! It must have been the wheelbase, based on a spec' taken from a pram....... thumbsdown

SAAB changed from the two stroke unit to the Ford of Germany 1,500cc V4 (different unit to the UK V4). I believe this was due to US emmissions that made future development of the two stroke a no-go area. I recall the SAABs having a freewheel clutch.

Ultimately SAAB moved to the Triumph Dolomite engine for the 900, now that was a crap engine!

Limey, this thread started with the Wartburg! Now that was a crap car!

He says he will sort a picture of it out when heÂ’s got time, busy at the present polishing his new silver Porsche 911 his Picasso has gone.

ttfn x

If you value your new found 'freedom' perhaps you should tell him not to attempt to drive one of these death traps in the snow, I've tried it, all bluster and misplaced guts, sounds familiar. I've also had a go in a Maserati and Ferrari 360, foolish experiment, definately fair weather stuff. Be carefull, don't forget what happened to Isadora Duncan.

...not to attempt to drive one of these death traps...

Yes, I recall the self-effacing Clarkson writing in one of his columns that the 911 is, based on pro-rata ownership, considered the most lethal of all such motors. IIRC, road holding incompatible with performance or some such thing.

Cheers

Robt P.

Where has my original post gone?

Am I being censored now?

If so what have I done to be so?

I am guilty by association too?

Next I suppose I will be banned for sleeping with Quakers!

Below is the picture I posted several days ago it’s pertaining to a post regarding Quakers old Motor the NSU100c he had way back in the 1970s

The steering ball joints on that model gave quite a few problems and were never sorted before he sold it on.

They would freeze up every so often making the car veer off to the left, which in turn wore away the front tires prematurely.

The ball joints on that model at the time had grease nipples [doesn’t that sound rude?] don’t have them on cars nowadays, even after regular greasing of said nipples the joints would still seize, one would have to heat them with a blow torch to free them up so Quakers relates to me. After they had cooled down one could grease them again.

He wonders if any other owner of said model had a similar problem.

The Boxer in the picture is of Quakers first Boxer dog by the name of Brette.

The picture was taken at a bungalow at Mablethorpe that they hired for the week.

ttfn

Brette1973NSU.jpg

If it's the post about the Porche 911 then I'm not guilty!! I read it then noticed it had gone and thought you had done it yourself , If you look at Firbecks post that I replied to, it's sampled in there too

Thank you very much Ian I appreciate your honesty.

It will be interesting if it goes again.

I saw Firbecks snippit of my original post, that proves i posted one and not making it up.

ttfn.

Am I being censored now?

If so what have I done to be so?

I am guilty by association too?

Next I suppose I will be banned for sleeping with Quakers!

I have Checked Admin and Moderator Logs, and there is no record of any such actions by anyone here.

Please do not make open accusations, and your post above is innapropriate to this board.

SAAB changed from the two stroke unit to the Ford of Germany 1,500cc V4 (different unit to the UK V4). I believe this was due to US emmissions that made future development of the two stroke a no-go area. I recall the SAABs having a freewheel clutch.

Ultimately SAAB moved to the Triumph Dolomite engine for the 900, now that was a crap engine!

Limey, this thread started with the Wartburg! Now that was a crap car!

Sur

Surprised to hear that you thought the Dolomite engine not up to scratch. Has three of these cars, two 1500s and an 1850. No trouble at all and did many thousands of miles particularly the 1850 towing a caravan. c annot recall topping up with oil between services. In fact I think I only spent of tyres, exhausts (which were particularly low slung) and brake pads and servicing. your experiences of course may have been different?

All I was making was an observation, and in the currant climate regarding Quakers and what he has said in the past a logical conclusion to why my post went missing and as I thought at the time being Censored.

The comment I made regarding being guilty by association is made on the strength of Franks demotion to ordinary member just for being Quakers friend and as you put it a drinking buddy of Quakers.

If there are no logs to where my post went then I take it that the forum has a ghost or a major fault or you are being skeletal with the truth.

That is my opinion, [we are still allowed to have one on here aren’t we] not Quakers, but if he was allowed to comment I think he would be saying the same but with a more of a sarcastic lilt.

ttfn

It's still there - go back a page!

All I was making was an observation, and in the currant climate regarding Quakers and what he has said in the past a logical conclusion to why my post went missing and as I thought at the time being Censored.

The comment I made regarding being guilty by association is made on the strength of Franks demotion to ordinary member just for being Quakers friend and as you put it a drinking buddy of Quakers.

If there are no logs to where my post went then I take it that the forum has a ghost or a major fault or you are being skeletal with the truth.

That is my opinion, [we are still allowed to have one on here aren't we] not Quakers, but if he was allowed to comment I think he would be saying the same but with a more of a sarcastic lilt.

ttfn

Your post went missing? So you "thought you were being censored"

"You take it that the forum has a ghost or a major fault or I am being skeletal with the truth." (You mean I am a liar!)

Madam, there is no ghost or fault, and I am not a liar.

If you check back a page I think you will find your elusive post there.

It never dissapeared!

Quakers tells me he had one of those NSU thingies in 1972/73 bought it new like all the motors he buys, from a showroom in Bulwell, the name of the showroom escapes him at the moment.

He says he will sort a picture of it out when he's got time, busy at the present polishing his new silver Porsche 911 his Picasso has gone.

ttfn x

I take it that was the post to which you refer?

Regarding Frank, I am sure he can speak for himself.

However being a moderator (or admin) here at the moment is a Sh!t job, so it could hardly be considered a promotion.

Frank would not want to be dealing with these issues!

In fact its a shame that Frank (and other members) cant see whats really going on here at the moment.

Would be a real Eye opener as others have recently found.

It's a shame that the sniping that went on before Christmas in "members blogs" has spilled over into the new year in the "crap cars of the 70s" section, is it too much to ask the members to keep the site friendly and forgiving as it once was? after all they are the main reasons I joined this site in the first place

Rog

It's a shame that the sniping that went on before Christmas in "members blogs" has spilled over into the new year in the "crap cars of the 70s" section, is it too much to ask the members to keep the site friendly and forgiving as it once was? after all they are the main reasons I joined this site in the first place

Rog

Clearly being caused by surrogate members.

What was wrong with the Dolomite, my Dad and ex mother in law both had one, nice walnut dashboard, what more could you want.