Barry Noble's Astoria

• 1 year later...
On 2012-10-28 at 1:18 PM, .... said:

Think it was still called The Sherwood Rooms into the mid-seventies on memory.

Just surfin  and found this info on Sherwood Rooms. It appears to be still under that name into the 80s?

It shows 'The Who and The Hollies' both appearing there in the August 1966, my last summer living in Nottingham.

Never went to see them though, to busy saving the pennies for my coming Christmas wedding.:biggrin:

http://www.songkick.com/venues/56176-sherwood-rooms/gigography

• Upvote 1

Well blow me down! I can't remember The Sherwood Rooms reverting to its original name. Nor can I remember Corpo buses with a separate exit door. Bet Catfan can.

Had some great times in the 60s at the old 'Sherwood Rooms'..........Marsdens/Farrands held there Xmas dances there,entered a competition one year,with a girl called Hazel who worked at Marsdens Netherfield,a little cracker and great Dancer.........was certain we'd won,but came 3rd,not surprising really her boyfriend was a non-dancer and also worked at Netherfield Marsdens was one of the Judges......mardy bu99er...........lol.

• Upvote 1

I remember another time in the 60s, took a girl from Stapleford to to the Sherwood rooms to a Football presentation night.........she was a little 'Fire-ball' to say the least....anyway i'd had a couple of dances with another girl i knew and she got all 'Mardy' and stormed off to the car park that used to be at the rear,and as i went looking for her i could hear a loud banging sound................eventually found her kicking a blue Morris 1100 causing several dents in the door...............my blue Morris 1100 was parked about 2 rows away.................lol.

Got lots of memories of 1100's inc.nearly drowning in one in Boston...........different 1100 different girlfriend both disasters...........lol.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

Sherwood Rooms

.Think the first band I saw here was Budgie, remember Diamond Head, I think supported by Irish band Mama's Boy's...

Doe:s anybody remember the name of the band that supported Wishbone Ash?..think that's correct..

A Female singer, guitarist played a Flying V. About '85 me thinks.

6 hours ago, HSR said:

.Doe:s anybody remember the name of the band that supported Wishbone Ash?..think that's correct.. A Female singer, guitarist played a Flying V. About '85 me thinks.

I wasn't there, but a wild guess......Girlschool ?

Nope, Kelly always played a Les Paul, as I said female singer..hung out with her.. Saturday  onwards,

Think the gig was Tuesday night

Anyvoody recall the Theatre Royal Series on TV.....Recall Motorhead, Girlschool..about 1980..I'm sure there were others.,,

• 1 year later...
On 9/10/2020 at 12:33 PM, HSR said:

Nope, Kelly always played a Les Paul, as I said female singer..hung out with her.. Saturday  onwards,

Think the gig was Tuesday night

Anyvoody recall the Theatre Royal Series on TV.....Recall Motorhead, Girlschool..about 1980..I'm sure there were others.,,

Don’t know the female singer you’re referring to but 

1. The place was still called the Sherwood Rooms when I saw Diamond Head and Hawkwind there in 1984 (I still have the Diamond Head ticket stub here… 

https://musicintheattic.co.uk/gig-tickets-part-1-the-1980s

2. It had been renamed The Astoria by the time Notts County FC had their historic crisis meeting there in 1986 (35 years ago today infact - link here…)

https://twitter.com/magpies_history/status/1438086572784685058?s=21

3. The TV series filmed at the Theatre Royal was called Rock Stage and was broadcast (simultaneously on Radio Trent and Central TV or ATV I think) in 1980. The shows I can remember are Motörhead/Girlschool, The Stranglers, Squeeze and The Specials/The Selecter I think. The Motörhead / Girlschool show (and others)  is up on YouTube. Link here…

https://youtu.be/YVlxCA6lRKY

Just watched my Motorhead boot dvd copy, superb..

trailer add's a couple more to the list.

Joe Jackson and Martha & the Muffins...

Does anybody recall the Cig' kiosk in the Sherwood Rooms / Astoria.? 

Fag machines had been the fashion for decades.

Don't get it.. A payed human.. dedicated solely to.cig's..before you ask..yes they were all female

??

Remember those Pretty girls hitting the inner city pub's with a free 5 pack mid nineties. 

• 3 months later...

The Astoria gets a few mentions in the new film "Last train to Christmas" (out now on Sky).  Don't know whether Michael Sheen's character of Tony Towers who owned it is based on Barry Noble though.  The film was written/directed by Julian Kemp, one of the first youngsters to attend Central TVs junior drama workshop, which now uses part of Richmond House, the building just to the back of the Ocean nightclub.