Stoke bardolph manor house.

• 1 year later...

To be honest I got a bit lost on this thread with the different Stokes being mentioned .

However , on the new British Library Flickr pages , they have put a few more images up since the beginning of the week and strangely , one of them is an old map of Stoke Field published in Bygones Of Nottingham from 1893 by William Stevenson .

As Rob L. mentioned this is on the other side of the river from Stoke Bardolph

11221733754_29c9b26518_h.jpg

I thought the manor house must be Stoke Hall that is marked on the map as the home of Sir Robert Bromley however according to Whites it was this but can't see it marked on that map .

From Whites directory of 1853

Stokefield, one mile south-east of the village, is a neat house and good estate, the residence and property of John Brockton Esq., and is noted as being the scene of the battle between Henry VII and the army under the Earl of Lincoln, who had espoused the cause of the imposter, Lambert Simnel, the pretended Earl of Warwick, and claimant for the Crown. This bloody conflict occurred in June 1487, and after three hours hard fighting, the whole rebel line was broken, and all the chieftains slain. The total slaughter of both armies amounted to 7,000 men.

In 1891 it was the home of farmer ,John Waddington and described as Stokefield Farm

There seems to be some conflicting info as to where the battle was .

There is the report above from Whites of 1853 that says the battle was fought at Stokefield "the residence of John Brockton" 1.5 miles S.East of East Stoke .

On the previous 1851 Census , John Brockton is living at "Stoke Lodge" , East Stoke and is a farm of' 370 acres , a size that remains on following Census' .

You would expect that Stoke Lodge would be at the end of the track from Stoke Hall that you can see meeting the Fosse Way, but that is NORTH of East Stoke ? Looking on Streetview there is still a lodge-type building there .(see below)

However , I have read elsewhere that the battle was in the grounds of East Stoke Hall and that can only be described as slightly North West of East Stoke which conflicts with the Whites description .

11457634416_1005021329_z.jpg

11457719406_6780ecc5e2_b.jpg

I know we're digressing from the original purpose of the thread, but there is a great deal of information on the battle here - http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resource-centre/warsoftheroses/battleview.asp?BattleFieldId=42

Looking at the maps, the battle seems to have been predominately south-west of East Stoke.

What amazes me is to see the sheer scale of losses in a battle which only lasted about three hours!

I've walked the area several times and believe the area close to the Trent would have been very marshy and difficult to negotiate.The Trent on three sides would have made a bottleneck and backed the accounts of a 'blood alley' where there was real slaughter. An evocative place to stand and think about the hardships and horrors of the past.

dxzgis.jpg

I agree with Rob , losses of between 6000 - 7000 in such a short time is incredible . The naming of the "red gutter" marked on the map on the previous page seems to indicate the battle was to the South West of E.Stoke too .

I presume New Road on the map is now called Church Lane but from the aerial shot , Red Gutter seems to have been lost .

Given tne scale of the battle and that it was the final battle of the war of the Roses you would have thought it would be marked as a historic site ....are there any indications of that ?

• 2 weeks later...

A truly epic battle fought against the pretender to the house of York. Put a complete end to them ever again being a threat to the throne of England. Lovely people in those days. I wonder what happened to the bones of the 7,000 men killed in that conflict.

Sorry. Forgot. It should be about Stoke Bardolph not East Stoke. But I think it all has great interest. I have a healthy interest in the Halls and Manor Houses in Nottinghamshire. I have toured the county photographing what is left, but so much has gone even recently. Like Stapleford Hall, Bramcote Hall and Manor, Chilwell Hall, Bramcote Hills House, Bulwell Hall, Bulwell Wood Hall, Broxtowe Hall, Aspley Hall. The list is endless.

I would love to know more about the manor house that used to stand at Bilborough hundreds of years ago. There was a dig and is documented in one of the Transactions of the Thoroton Society, but I would love to know more.

• 6 years later...

In 1487 Stoke Bardolph Manor belonged to Viscount Lovell.  However, in June of that year, he fought alongside the Earl of Lincoln against the Kings army at East Stoke. After the battle he disappeared, never to be seen again. He could have been killed and his body lay unidentified. As was the custom of the time, his lands were forfeit and became property of the King. He eventually transferred the Manor to his sister's son Henry Norreys. 

However, he lost his head after an alleged dalliance with Ann Boleyn. Again the land returning to the King as forfeiture.

Am not aware of any mayor battle or skirmish at Stoke Bardolph, but Shelford had the misfortune of mass annihilation when Col Hutchinson's men relieved Shelfords Royalists of their occupation of the Manor House. No quarter given.