Retronaut - Sawyer's Arms

As of this evening, one of the Nottingham Berni Inns has a place on Retronaut.

http://www.retronaut.com/2012/10/berni-inn-newsletter/

More will be uploaded later in the year, including Sawyer's Arms menus, stock-takes, etc.

I will, I promise! If anyone has pics of the old SA, please add them to the capsule if you can (or tell me where to find them so I can add it).

I've flung up the newspaper article as well - hold Ctrl and press + to zoom in on the small print. It's more about Gerda Thut's background, and gives a bit more insight to the runnings of the place.

As soon as I get the menus and the newspaper clippings of the head chef, they'll go up too. My Mum has given her blessing to share some of the business docs :)

I remember Gerda Thut...I used to deliver the steaks to her.She was a serious lady to deal with.Bernis used to buy the best bullock meat,then they started to cut corners and buy direct from Manchester,cheaper cow meat...older and tougher.

Oh my gosh! Really?! You're pretty much the first person I've come across who remembers her in person! She was a serious grandmother too :)

Poohbear - that would have been down tohumour being lost in translation! She was one of the most intelligent people I've met, but we even had to explain jokes to her. I think she just didn't 'get' British humour ;)

Enigma1st - did the place look like that in the 60s and 70s too? I've only ever seen distance pics in black and white.

I was in one night after Bernis took it over...A group of yanks came in and were gobsmacked...I think at their last visit the place was full of hookers.I pointed the Towers out to them and they happily took their money elsewhere. :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Here we go - same link as before:

Many, many new images on there, courtesy of my parents. Menus, management documents, newspaper articles... the lot.

Here we go - same link as before:

Many, many new images on there, courtesy of my parents. Menus, management documents, newspaper articles... the lot.

Great site Moobug, in my favourites now............................ slywink

• Upvote 1