Gypsies around Nottinghamshire

Hi,

I am researching my family tree and it turns out many of them were Romany. They travelled around Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire (some of them ended up in court in Nottinghamshire and featured in various newspapers).

Mainly looking for Newberry/Newbury and also Smiths, but they were also linked to Elliots and Grays. A lot of them can be found on census around Worksop, Retford, Newark.

Please get in touch if you have links with any of these.

Thanks.

the area around nottinghamshire still has quite a large gypsy population and several perminant sites wether they are true romany irish tinkers or other travlers, its worth asking around the sites as long as you aproach them in the right manner most will be happy to help. i have a lady i know who comes from a romany back ground who says she has her family bible with her family tree in it i will ask her if amy of these names show up in her tree. although smith is a common name in the romany comuity too, many romany families do the same thing because sometimes the children have not been registered properly but will often have been babtied often at the big horse fairs or when there is a big family wedding happening often asmany as 20 children will have been baptied at the same time.

My gran's family, on my mum's side, were Romany.

The family name was Eedy, her father was John Eedy, who's trade was 'Flower Hawker' the family resided in old caravans (horse drawn) & mainly resided around Ilkeston, Derby area, finally settling in Ilkeston circa 1900.

Apparently John Eedys extended family were fairground people, some of who were the Noyce family, who attended Goose Fair for many years

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I have been googling and can't find  anything Ian. No idea how to work our Search facility on NS, so I can't find the story? You  have got me interested and opened up a project for me to find the article. That should liven the grey matter up a bit. :)

• Like 2

If any one remembers the Jolly Friar pub at Blidworth, just down a track from there going towards Farnsfield and before you got to the sewage farm there was a field where the gypsies often camped. In those days they were the ones with horse drawn caravans not the big 4WD and mobile homes.

Mum often bought dolly pegs from them when they called around  and one day when a gypsy fortune teller came to the door offering to tell fortunes my dad said I'll give you two bob if you can tell me the winner of the 3 o'clock at Doncaster. The gypsy wrote a name on a piece of paper in exchange for the two bob and left. Dad looked at the piece of paper and went to look at the form guide and said "that was a bloody waste of 2 bob, that horse is useless"

It wasn't and won at 20 to1

I remember he did the same thing soon after with a fortune teller at Skeggy and didn't back that one too. It also won

• Like 1

Drove past Woodthorpe Park this morning , and noticed that the gates on Woodthorpe Drive have been broken into, and the lovely green area where the children play, and dogs are walked has been churned up by about forty trucks, 4 X 4's and massive caravans. Marvellous ! 

Where's the Gedling Council bulldozer when you need it ?

Before the snowflakes begin bemoaning the fact that these folks are homeless, I'll just remind them that one of the 4 x4 's there costs over £60k. On the poverty line, my ar5e !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lincoln council advised the local village hall to lock the barriers leading to the car park and playing fields because they had wind that the travellers were in the area,the council said if the travellers got onto the car park and playing fields and stayed for any length of time it would cost the village a minimum of £30,000 for court fees, police presence and clean up teams, priceless

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Before the snowflakes begin bemoaning the fact that these folks are homeless, I'll just remind them that one of the 4 x4 's there costs over £60k. On the poverty line, my ar5e !

But did they pay for them?

Ha, ha. Maybe, but with someone else's hard earned cash.

• 1 month later...

Here we go again ! Drove past part of Bestwood this morning. Lo and behold, there's an encampment at the top of Southglade Rd. 

Large obstacles such as tree trunks etc were placed around the perimeter after the last swarm descended on the grassed area, but I presume they used one of their glitzy and ostentatious 4x4's to open up a gap. At least there was a lone policemen photographing the reg's of the various vehicles. 

When will this ever ongoing problem be erased. Oh yes, when we give them free housing and benefits I once thought, but no, they can easily afford decent housing. Ugh !

When the gypsies kept going onto  Clifton village greens over the years  Nottingham City Council decided put in bollards to stop them, yes it did stop them, but they just moved onto the one a few yards away with no bollards in. so why did the council not do both?

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

Thought I would wake this topic up, I always look foreword to the Romany's visiting our village green every autumn, Have a coffee with them and share a few stories, I usually take them a few tomato's and stuff from my greenhouse, great company and some lovely stories, photo's are me sat on the steps and a couple of pictures of the inside of the Bow top van

P1100056.jpg

P1100057.jpg

P1100060.jpg

P1100063.jpg

Rog

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1