OOps here I am

:) 'Spud', not heard this word for a time - good to see it's not become defunct.

"Time to peel the spuds," I recall grandma saying back in the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s. :)

Oh! and I nearly forgot, as kids we used the eliminating procedure 'Spuds'; holding our fists out, we'd chant:

One potato, two potato, three potato four,

five potato, six potato, seven potato more.........

:biggrin:

We had a "Spud" Taylor in Long Eaton! No idea what his real name was!

:) What you can do with the humble spud!

I remember Sunday afternoons as a kid, sitting around the kitchen table playing with my 'Mr Potato Head' game.

I'd beg a good sized potato from my mum, then make up all different characters with the plastic pieces included in the game, such as: hats, eyes, mouths, ears, pipes etc. Loved this game.

Also, a reasonable sized spud makes a decent printing tool: cut spud in two, make a design, face or pattern on top half of spud, dip onto ink pad and press on to paper. Hey presto: a decent print costing hardly anything.

You could even make your own Christmas cards by cutting out the design of a fir tree on a potato, painting over the design with green paint and then printing on paper - very effective. :)

we have a friend who used to go down the hart still see him sometimes name of spud never have known his real name.

as kids we called holes in the heels of our socks spuds i was always getting them.

:) Wasn't there some form of punishment in the Army called 'Spud Bashing'?

Yes, potato peeling I think, Christine.

Eh up - this is all a bit harsh intit. Spud comes on with post #1, and the first 15 responses are pulling her leg about the name - all in good spirit of course, but still...

All in good nature definitely. We look forward to hearing from Spud. Hopefully a chip off the old block.

• 8 years later...

Maybe it turned into  Cadburys  Smash