I'm pleased to see that something is at last going to be improved in the centre of Arnold with this news that money is to be spent refurbishing the swimming pool and Bonington Theatre. This follows the development currently under way of a new health centre.

I'm not convinced though that they shouldn't have just tried to rebuild those facilities elsewhere locally and completely redevelop the northern end of the town centre. It could really do with it.

It's a shame the way that the town's shopping centre has been allowed to deteriorate.

Gedling council promises £1.1m pool and theatre revamp

A bit of recent nostalgia for people who know the area.........

In the "Latest Additions" section of Picture the Past there are quite a few photos taken in 1998 of pubs in Arnold. I don't know how many of them are still surviving, but if you go to PTP and search Arnold 1998 you'll get them all, plus a few other non-pub things as well

im off to bonington theatre tonight to whatch one of the amiture pantomimes looking forward to it youth theatre group from netherfield always a good night they have some very good preformers from age 5 up to adults and when daves cusin rang me to ask if i wanted a ticket again i said yes but forgot to ask what panto they were doing so it will be a surprize to me when i get there.

i think it all comes down to money in the end stu a refurb much cheaper than buying land and rebuilding elsewere stu

Hope you enjoyed your panto, Babs, sounds nice.

Money as always yes. The previous council did have a plan not too long ago to do precisely that though - demolish both the theatre and swimming baths and rebuild them elsewhere. Their plan was flawed though as they claimed they intended to build on King George's rec behind the marketplace although that land is not available for development as far as I'm aware.

Even in these times money can be sourced though by attracting the 'right' businesses into town in order to redevelop. I don't think Gedling Borough Council have got it in them though to think very expansively. Arnold was/is a prosperous, busy place, it has a large and growing population and it can have a good future with the right thinking I reckon - something it has long lacked as it has been allowed to become dated and less attractive over the years.

The prodigal returned to the area of his forefathers in 2005, something to do with elephant graveyards?!! after leaving in 1962 when married and moved to Carlton. We moved to Daybrook, that bit tacked on to Arnold before you get to Sherwood!! from Mapperley when my farther became the retained fireman at the fire station after returning from London where he was posted to help in the “Blitz”

I have to say that when I now walk Front Street I could almost cry at the changes since my youth, but I suppose the needs of new generations in Arnold/Nott’s is the reason for this “ so be it” (deep, deep sighs).

I note that Piggy is only twelve years my junior and as I do not know how long his connection with our fair town is I will have to assume his nostalgic memories are pretty similar to mine, hey we could talk “bikes” and I will bet he was a “breaker” too (CB to the uninitiated).

I am pleased that cash is forthcoming for refurbishment of both buildings and that for the present they will stay where they are, although on my frequent visits to the library I am not impressed even though the staff are super and always very helpful.

Interesting, thanks for your memories, Outlaw. I reckon the needs of Arnold folk could be catered for much better and I'll bet you do to.

Sure you will remember the original (Carnegie) library? Now THAT was library! Spent any hours in there as a youngster, loved the atmosphere in there. what a shame it was demolished to make way for the ugly building at the other end of the town but I guess that's Arnold's modern-day story in a nutshell. Don't get me started on the British School and other Arnold landmarks! :)

From Picture the Past

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC002819&prevUrl=

NCCC002819.jpg

I am pleased to say that the library in Long Eaton - also a Carnegie Library, is a listed building, along with the school next door.

800px-LongEatonLibrary35.JPG

OUTLAW

ITS USSUALLY ME BABS THAT DOSE MOST OF THE POSTS ON THE SITE IUSED TO COME TO ARNOLD OFTEN AS A CHILD TO SEE MY MUMS AUNT WHO LIVED ON GEORGE ST NEXT TO THE PARK AND ALSO AS A TEENAGER I USED TO CLEAN TELEPHONES AROUND SOME OF THE FACTORIES AND SHOPS IN THE AREA THEN IN LATER YEARS TWO OF MY SISTERS MOVED WITH THERE FAMILIES TO LIVE IN ARNOLD SO KNOW ARNOLD QUITE WELL. MY SISTER JEAN STILL LIVES THERE SO I AM OFTEN THERE AND USE THE BONNINGTON THEATRE A LOT TO SEE VIRIOUS PERFORMANCES SO HAVE SEEN MANY CHANGES OVER THE LAST 50 TO 60 YEARS.ALTHOUGH I WAS BROUGHT UP IN NETHERFIELD AND LATTER MOVED TO CARLTON BEFORE MY MARRAIGE. AND HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN NOTTINGHAM ALL MY LIFE AND ALWAYS WILL YES SOMETHINGS HAVE CHANGED FOR THE WORST NOTTINGHAM WILL STILL ALWAYS BE MY HOME.

Glad my “two peneth” was well received. Yes Stu I agree with you and I do remember it well and it was an impressive building. Spent a lot of time in the fifties just round the corner in the baths but that is another story that I will post sometime.

Sorry about the mistake Babs, in my book though that makes you an honorary resident of owd Arna. Wife and I moved into a new house on the old Robinsons rose nurseries off Westdale Lane and my dad did a stint at Carlton fire station (probably in the 50s).

WE LIVED ON CAVENDISH RD CARLTON NEAR THE POST OFFICE JUST AS THE ESTATE WAS BEING BUILT THE ROSE BUSHES IN OUR GARDEN CAME FROM ROBINSONS NURSERY FROM WHAT I UNDER STAND THEY JUST GAVE THEM AWAY TO ANYONE WHO WANTED TO GO AND COLLECT THEM. WHEN I WAS DOING MY PAPER ROUNDS I SOMETIMES HAD TO DO THE ESTATE IF THE REGULAR LAD WAS OFF SO I WOULD OFTEN GET MOANED AT CAUSE THEY WERE LATE BUT I WOULD DO THIS ROUND AS AN EXTRA AFTER DOING MY OWN ROUND BUXTON, BELPER AND CROMFORD AVES AS WELL AS FROM THE SHOP TO THE CEMETARY BOTH SIDES NOT A EASY ROUND .

MY OLD SCHOOL WAS OPPOSIT THE FIRE STATION.