I have a Samsung S6, a supposed smart phone but it's not that smart - it often forgets to come with me when i go out!

• Like 6
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a Samsung S6, a supposed smart phone but it's not that smart - it often forgets to come with me when i go out!

When I bought my Blackberry, I thought about the 30-year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a cell phone that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates with Facebook and Twitte

Simple solution is turn the phone off & unplug landline ! Works a treat !

Loppy, if I'm not mistaken.. SD cards up to 1Tb are now available.. but very pricey.  That said, the price of memory is falling all the time.  My first works issue laptop had a 1Gig hard drive.  I've just bought a 2 terabyte hard drive for my PC and that's not a 'big' drive these days.  The trouble is that in much the same way that work is said to expand to fill the time available, it seems that software programmers add 'bloat' to fill the memory available..

• Like 1

Never forget to make a backup of any and all of what is of importance. The loss of 2TB of data would be catastrophic. If it wouldn't be catastrophic, why hang on to it?

I do video editing on my desktop, which is not connected to the Internet so at low risk for malware.  I have two 1TB. Hd's  in it.  Video is very memory intensive.  An hour of HD video runs around 12 gig so it can fill up quick.  I back them all up to an external drive.

Some virtual organ software needs about 32 + gig of ram.  More if there is a lot of reverb.  So you need a pretty hefty. Computer to run it.

Bill Gates said 612 K should be enough for anybody.  :biggrin:

7 hours ago, jonab said:

Never forget to make a backup of any and all of what is of importance. The loss of 2TB of data would be catastrophic. If it wouldn't be catastrophic, why hang on to it?

We have a iTB back up drive permanently connected to the PC.  I've also just bought a 1Tb portable HD

Just wondering, Col.  Is it a good idea to have a backup drive permanently connected?   If you did get a nasty bit of malware it could corrupt your backup drive also.  I only connect mine when I am actually going to save or restore something.  Rest of the time it stays in a drawer.

I consider it best to use a dedicated backup program such as Acronis left connected full time.

This way, backups can be made automatically at predetermined times in a predetermined fashion. Most of the time the backup drive is not active and thus not subject to malign influences that could affect the prime drive(s).

My backups are done on a "grandfather, father, son" basis in which there are three backups retained and any new backup replaces the oldest of the three. You can, of course, retain more historical backups if you wish and if you have space.

A good backup program will arrange all of this for you.

• Like 1

Ours is a 'ClickFree' device. Mrs Col bought it when she was working as a Freelance Translator and worried about losing work.  Essentially a hard drive with a bit of software loaded to manage the back ups.  So, essentially similar.  It's permanently connected but set to only back up when instructed.  Currently all my pics and music are still on it as I've not restored them tho the PC yet and won't do so until PC is properly sorted and has new 2Tb HD in place. The music is only really a convenience issue, as I have it all on vinyl/CD s well.

I'm intending to copy all my pics to my new portable drive for a second back up. At the moment myself and a friend are having great difficulty loading MS Office back onto my PC after my recent Win re-install.  It's a common problem.  We'll fix it eventually.

I don't have a PC backup as such but all important files, music photo's programs etc are saved on 2 HDDs. One connected to PC & one is a WD MyCloud 4TB can be accessed from any location in the world what has internet ! Providing you have my password of course ! The WD can be configured to do back ups etc but prefer to save files myself.

• Like 1