Mansfield Road 1908

;) Update on the unknown name of the pub. I was talking at the weekend to the landlady of the Castle pub Lower parliment street [ judith ] and she recalls it being the Horse and Jockey, i don't doubt her but her daughter thinks it might have been named The Cherry Tree, which one is right i don't know, i shall keep on digging................. :Friends: 

The pub in question is currently called Bensons but has gone by a number of names over the years. I will find out its traditional name later tonight.

Cheers,

Bamber

Bamber & BiP,

Any news on the pub name....?

Cheers

Robt P.

I thought the give away to this photo and the one that everybody appears to have missed was the initials on the corner building Y.M. - (followed around the corner by C.A. ) the YMCA have not moved far have they - with all the demolition in this area they appear to be untouchable.

;) Seems the obvious choice bamber..but how sure are you...

!rulez! No one missed it alansnape, we all knew where we were..Thanks anyway Mate..

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

STU!!!!!!

Welcome back!

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this question was ever answered. But the pub that is/was Bensons, was called the Mansfield Arms and was frequented by a lot of Irish labourers. It had an old style telephone on the bar that rang out only......direct to the Central Police Station on Shakespeare Street.

It was one of the first pubs to call at if you went on a pub crawl up Mansfield Road, the first being The Miltons Head.

Hope this is of help.

Ooooops... yes the answer had already been added...........never mind there's a bit more info here for you.

I think the pub which still stands at the foot of Mansfield Road next to the Victoria Centre also had the name 'The Regent' at one time. Maybe in the 1970s'.

I'd missed this thread when it was originally doing the rounds, but I used to go in that pub quite a lot in the late 70s/early 80s and it went through a number of names.

In the late 70s it was indeed "The Regent", a typical slightly old-fashioned anonymous city centre pub.

In the early 80s it had an awful makeover to became "Blueberry's", with flashing lights, chrome and steel. Thankfully that only lasted a few years and it then became "Ledgers" which turned it into a kind of dusty, old fashioned, Dickensian office. That was a failure, and I've never been in it since then, but I know it's changed a few more times since then.