Memories of Daybrook and Other things.

My wife was looking for a recipe the other day, in her special folder with all her stuff for that sort of thing, and came across my mums old Bero flour cook book.

It is very old and falling apart now but still has some cooking jems from old in it.

Anyway this got me to thinking about the old Bero factory in Daybrook and also the laundry that used to be near there too.

Got a feeling there is a Travelodge on the site now ? but maybe wrong there.

Our family lived on Arnold side of Mapperley tops and we had a great view of that side of the city, all the way to Crich Stand on a clear day.

We could also see the Home Ales brewery sign and lots of other landmarks almost round to Dorket Head brickworks.

When I was a kid I used to play in the old mapperley brickworks at the top end of Woodthorpe drive.

We even used to catch fish in the disused ponds there.

And to get home we used to run through the tunnels under Woodthorpe drive and Breckhill road, then up the field to the back of mum and dads garden. Dodging the watchman though as he used to chase us if he saw us!

All built up area now with houses everywhere.

Brian

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi all, loved reading this thread. My dad's family lived at 10 Salop Street-my great uncle Bob (gran's brother)had the woodyard half way up. I remember going on Saturdays to see gran & grandad &

My maternal grandparents were  from Arnold and Daybrook. My grandmothers family name was Ellis and they owned Ellis bakery on Front Street where my mother was born. The premises are now occupied Birds

I'll decline the offer, thanks. I'd probably listen to it once and then file it away forever.     This is Sherbrook in the 1920s, showing houses which no longer exist.

banjo, you may have already done this, but if you put Daybrook in the Search field at the top of the Homepage (make sure it says "Forums" and not just "this topic", you'll get quite a few threads which have mentioned the subject

Anyway this got me to thinking about the old Bero factory in Daybrook and also the laundry that used to be near there too.

Got a feeling there is a Travelodge on the site now ? but maybe wrong there.

Brian

Hi Brian, I live in Redhill just a mile up the road. The laundry was demolished a few years ago and lies there still as a huge mound of rubble on the old site (as do the White Hart at Daybrook and the Metallifacture building at Redhill on their respective sites). Above the laundry site is the Old Spot pub which is still there and above that a Premier Inn which is what you would be thinking of.

NOTPLI.ImageRef.childrenbodyxmlimagelistsys.67016.FullImageRef.jpg

The old Home Brewery building on Mansfield Road was used by Gedling Borough council for some years but is now to let.

Used to run under that tunnel in Woodthorpe Park myself!

Hi banjo! I still have mums old Be-Ro book too and remember their factory up near Daybrook station. Apparently they wanted to call themselves Bells Royal when they started but the powers that be would not let them use the word royal, hence Be-Ro but at least they had the by royal approval logo. My mum and dad moved to the old brickyard from Church Drive when the bungalows were built there.

Hi!! To Cliff Ton too, must have a look there as I was a Daybrook lad from 1945 till I got married in 1962 and moved to Carlton.

Yes Stu that is a good site and I visit it often. Was a pal of one of the drivers at Be-Ro back in the 1950s, they lived on Sallop St. and there was a wood-yard half way up on the right but the old gray matter will not bring back the name of the next street up, the one with the beer-off owned by the Wild gusts (knew the two daughters, youngest my age) perhaps someone will remember it and let me know.

Sallop St. and there was a wood-yard half way up on the right but the old gray matter will not bring back the name of the next street up,

Next one up was Morris Street. I can't enlarge this too much or the detail goes completely, but hopefully you'll get the main idea

salop1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks Cliff Ton I could have been sitting here until new years day and it would not have come back to me!!!! By the way I hope members will not get the wrong idea when they see the rubber works on the map!!! It was Homerton retreads, a large corrugated iron building.Hey the wasteground at the side or it was the place we had our large communial bonfire on the 5th of November, great memories.

I couldn't remember Morris Street, there has always been a garage there in my time. I certainly remember how Salop Street used to be and used the chip shop there sometimes - always busy. There's a health centre there now and a couple of factory units at the back.

Going down Mansfield Road from Salop Street, the next road down on that side is Byron Street which had an off-license on the corner?

• Like 1

Spot on Stu, the chipy was rather small and there was always a queue as it was so popular, if you had just bag of chips you could always ask for some batter bits as well, Billy Wings motorbike shop was on the corner of Morris St. and I bought my first bike from there (BSA 250cc C11G). Remember Byron St. and the beer-off and the row of shops on Mansfield Rd. that it was part of. Think the National Savings Bank and Starbucks the butchers were there but memory fades on the other four or five. On reflection I remember that the next nearest chippy was on the corner of Sherbrook Rd. in Daybrook Square and we would use that one if we had been to the Roxy.

• Like 1

The Coronation Buildings. Never used them much as we had shops nearer home. Some a bit further up at the corner of St. Albans Road

Coronation Buildings

The chip shop in Daybrook Square is still there and the finest in these parts in my humble opinion!

I'm intrigued by Morris Street. Wonder when it disappeared? I can just about remember the original White Hart.

Thanks Kev. I really should know that street but I can't remember it all!

Wonder if you might kindly pop a map or two of further up Mansfield Road when you get a moment? From that point up to say, Redhill Road? Thanks in advance if that's ok.

Well we are expanding the western side of our corner of the city and a big thanks to banjo48 for starting the topic, hope he is pleased with the result, also Cliff Ton. I mentioned the Roxy so if I cross the road to include The Vale that starts the southernmost boundary of Mansfield Rd. I remember the shops at the corner of St Albans Rd. and the factory behind them, an unimpressive white painted building that was Clamore or something like that I think.

I am very much looking forward to Stu taking us to the most northern part of Mansfield Rd. as I do not know much about Redhill even though it is the part of Arnold where my roots are, fathers side (as far as I have so far traced back up to now) my great grand father being a farmer there and my sister did attend Redhill school.

The factory behind those shops is now a Job Centre. it moved there from Worrall lane in Arnold some years back.

Which farm at Redhill was your Great Great Grandfather on Outlaw - do you know?

Another Daybrook name from the past, can you remember the Cerebos (sp) factory which would have stood about opposite where Morris Street is described?

Here's the early 1960s. Morris Street is clearly marked.

(Something I've just noticed which dates it..........Arno Vale road doesn't extend beyond the bottom of Somersby Road. I can remember that being extended. The old GN railway line would still have been in the way - albeit unused)

HsLEyYX.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers for that Kev. I see that Ascot Drive off The Mount which was built in 1968/9 is not on that map. Nor is Appledorne Way built around '66 I'd say, nor Monsall Drive in Redhill which I think was built very early sixties. Redhill Cemetery is not extended at that point either.

Redhill Post Office is marked but in the wrong place.

Interesting stuff if you're local, ta.

If you look at the top center of the map you will see Lodge Farm Lane - where it ends, on the east side, is the house I was born in (number 26 - it is still there).

By the way, Roscoe Ave. is shown as connecting to Lodge Farm Lane - it was often marked that way on maps, but in fact it never has! There was (and may still be) a footpath running parallel to Roscoe Ave. just to the north.

We really need to get a blue plaque erected on that house Eric!

Here is your footpath next to Roscoe Avenue I think. Not sure if it's still passable.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=nottingham&ll=53.013442,-1.131895&spn=0.000944,0.001725&hnear=Nottingham,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.013366,-1.132452&panoid=k_QI-8_BGlX9W4F2ipcjyQ&cbp=12,94.96,,0,6.47

The bungalow behind the trees was built on the land where Gadsby's farm house stood (The Guide House). It's original wall still stands I think.

Wasn't there another cut through to your old road next to The Ram? Maybe still usable?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=nottingham&ll=53.012619,-1.132555&spn=0.000944,0.001725&hnear=Nottingham,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.012559,-1.133123&panoid=IG_yygVn_FJO5g8PZNutYQ&cbp=12,111.27,,1,0.42

Yes, there was a path to the Ram - but from what I remember there was a gate at the Lodge Farm Lane end that was supposed to be locked when the pub was closed. Memory says that it was locked most of the time - probably a relief to the local wives! Your link shows where the gate was!

Looks like the path behind Roscoe Ave. does still connect to the new part of Lodge Farm Lane:

http://maps.google.c...62,,0,8.09&z=19

I was wrong on the path behind the Ram - the access you can see in Stu's link was to the back of the Wagon & Horses. The path to the Ram does still exist - this is the Lodge Farm Lane end:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=nottingham&ll=53.012102,-1.131722&spn=0.000717,0.001692&hnear=Nottingham,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.012102,-1.131722&panoid=E1Y9t24z6SrKncRK6uI2gw&cbp=12,280.88,,0,12.34&z=20

As you know - not-so-fond memories of Gadsby's pond! :)

You can just see the building on the SE corner of Redhill and Mansfield Roads that the truck ran in to!

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC002374&prevUrl=

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC001226&prevUrl=

Fishing for newts in that pond was a hazardous business!

Easom's chip shop on the corner of Redhill and Mansfield Road, next to Mr Holmes's grocery store. Great chippy, used to get sent up there by mum on a Saturday lunchtime for fishcakes and chips. Loved reading the array of newspaper cartoons stuck on the wall while you waited for the chips! I've a feeling Mrs Easom is still around and living in Arnold.