Memories of Daybrook and Other things.

The Three Crowns and Top Shop, Redhill. Looking up Arch Hill towards the bridge.

The pub was where Charles Rotherham, Elizabeth Sheppard's murderer was witnessed attempting to sell her belongings on an overnight stay at the inn.

NCCC003344.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC003344&prevUrl=

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi all, loved reading this thread. My dad's family lived at 10 Salop Street-my great uncle Bob (gran's brother)had the woodyard half way up. I remember going on Saturdays to see gran & grandad &

My maternal grandparents were  from Arnold and Daybrook. My grandmothers family name was Ellis and they owned Ellis bakery on Front Street where my mother was born. The premises are now occupied Birds

I'll decline the offer, thanks. I'd probably listen to it once and then file it away forever.     This is Sherbrook in the 1920s, showing houses which no longer exist.

Compo

Just looking at your map and saw the foundry there.

Can remember working at a foundry on Mansfield road but nearer the old lido in Sherwood I think , or maybe nearer the city ?

Bloody filthy job we had as we were rewiring some part of it and all the years of dust etc was terrible.

Very interesting though watching the blokes do the sand moulds for the casts they made. Think they were drain covers of some sort.

Banjo, I had a similar experience as an apprentice in '66/'67. I couldn't remember where the foundry was but Compo's

map jogged my memory and I'm sure that's the one. It went under the name of Caddy. I only remember the name because

when you were waiting for your job card in the morning, your heart would sink if you heard "we're going to Caddy's" no2

As far as I remember Stu, My playmate at infants and juniors lived in the house alongside the men in the picture of Morris Street. I lived in the terraces opposite, out of shot. his name was Desmond Gearing (or Geering?).

I can't remember Morris Street (or Terrace) but I really should be able to.

Was responding to a chap on Arnold History site yesterday who wanted to know if anyone had any pics of Goodwood House off Cross Street.

I remember it quite well and actually went in there as a kid when they were demolishing it (what a shame that was). Remember they kept cows and horses in the large field that bordered Mansfield Road before it got built on.

The story goes that one James Acton funded and built the house on the proceeds of a successful day out at Goodwood Races. Understand that the Farr family of the Home Brewery owned it latterly. It wasn't around for that long comparatively.

The link below states that it was demolished in 1965, I've an inkling that it was around a little longer than that?

Anyone else remember Goodwood House?

NCCC002866.jpg

http://www.pictureth...002866&prevUrl=

I was going to mention it the other day but couldn't remember the name of the house. My mother used to take us to Arnold via different routes, one of which was Cross Street. I recall the horses in the fields and think they must have been there right up to the mid 60s. I never visited the house and only ever saw it from the roadside.

Cross Street used to join Mansfield road at a junction just before the shops and opposite the old White Hart inn. There was a small green with a walk-through to the shops to the left of the junction, so that it was possible to walk down Cross street and to the bottom of St Alban's road in a near-straight line.

The Goodwood House field had a boundary fence of iron railings as I recall it.

Remember that small green at the bottom of Cross Street at the junction. Still there, sort of, with a few allotments behind it:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=nottingham&ll=53.003803,-1.138579&spn=0.000944,0.001725&hnear=Nottingham,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.003802,-1.13909&panoid=l2CbcCP-WVWnZvgRkn0NeQ&cbp=12,81.97,,1,-0.9

Do you remember on the opposite side of Cross Street, in the triangle where it came down to meet Mansfield Road there was a grassy area behind some railings with lots mature trees in it. Perfect for making dens and hunting horse chestnuts!

I'm intrigued by Morris Street. Wonder when it disappeared? I can just about remember the original White Hart.

We were moved out of Morris terrace in October 1955, into a new council house on Gladehill road. The already dilapidated terrace rapidly fell into a ruinous state and was, I believe, demolished within a year or two of our leaving. Morris Street lasted longer but alas, I don't know when it was demolished.

Ah yes, I have just had a flashback.....There was a fellow who had a milk round, lied in the houses between Morris Street and Hammond's Garage. Name of Mr Hickling. He used to deliver our milk on Morris terrace and also in our new home at the top of Oxclose lane.

It's really confounding me remembering that street, Compo!

Here's another one - 'Five Mile House' which I've seen referred to on historical sites. Think a bit further north up Mansfield Road (five miles from Nottingham I reckon) and maybe think of a dairy...

• Upvote 1

There was also a very small shop halfway up Morris Street on the right as you went up the hill. This photo was taken in teh back yard of Morris Terrace and the toilet roofs can be seen in the upper right of the picture:

scan0005.jpg?gl=GB

I also have a photo taken at the back door which I will try and dig out soon.

Love the tin bath, always remember mum saying they all used to bathe in a tin bath in front o' fire after gran had "backed it up"

Being the youngest she was always last ! when I was little I always remember mum saying how wonderful it was to have a bath with taps and we didn't know we was born !

Wonder when Hammonds Garage came into being?

This, apparently, is the site pre-Hammonds; the old White Hart is up ahead. The caption says this is the location where "....in 1873 John Lee started a business as wheelwright, carriage builder and funeral director. It was taken over by Samuel Hammond in 1905"

hammond.jpg

I note the cherry hill...in early Victorian days Nottingham had loads of cherry orchards.Especially round Wilford,it was a special day out for the middle classes to travel to Wilford for the cherry festival and choff on the cherries at the pub there. Wonder why this area was so popular for cherry growing?...and why no more?

There's a theory that the area marked Cherry Hill on the map was roughly the place where the large pond stood.

There's a 'Cherry Orchard Mount' not too far from there.

Also in the centre of Arnold a 'Cherry Close' adjacent Redhill School and also a former 'Cherry Tree Club' nearby.

• 3 weeks later...

Another local farm which I was looking down on from the perimeter of Redhill Cemetery today, Redhill Farm.

For most people's money not in Redhill at all though only a field's distance from the back of the cemetery, on Bestwood Lodge Drive. Recall well when Bestwood Lodge Drive came straight out onto Mansfield Road just above the White Hart. House built at the bottom end since around the early seventies I think but part of the old gate still stand there on Mansfield Road.

NCCC001900.jpg

http://www.pictureth...001900&prevUrl=

NCCC001899.jpg

http://www.pictureth...001899&prevUrl=

https://maps.google....249.31,,1,-0.72

Were the farm buildings not at the rear of the old White Hart? The track came out by a row of conker trees near to the phone box on the corner of Mansfield Road, just on Oxclose Lane.

Thanks Stu. The telephone box in the middle picture is where I was once unceremoniously dumped by a girlfriend :(

Bad news!

There must be some bad karma around that spot as I was once stood up a few yards away waiting to meet a girl to go and see Grease many years ago.

Mind you, considering the film we were going to see, I had a lucky let-off. ;)

Still a phone box around that spot btw. Here standing in front of the White Hart, (now a pile of very attractive rubble no doubt here for the next ten years or so.)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=arnold+nottingham&ll=53.003417,-1.139241&spn=0.000944,0.001725&hnear=Arnold,+Nottinghamshire,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.003424,-1.139586&panoid=FfBY4EfQDo7FKz5udUofGg&cbp=12,314.5,,0,16.7