Memories of Daybrook and Other things.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi all, loved reading this thread. My dad's family lived at 10 Salop Street-my great uncle Bob (gran's brother)had the woodyard half way up. I remember going on Saturdays to see gran & grandad &

My maternal grandparents were  from Arnold and Daybrook. My grandmothers family name was Ellis and they owned Ellis bakery on Front Street where my mother was born. The premises are now occupied Birds

I'll decline the offer, thanks. I'd probably listen to it once and then file it away forever.     This is Sherbrook in the 1920s, showing houses which no longer exist.

23 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I can't be certain what it was, but it might've been this.

Not that one Cliff. It was a frontal view of the mootorbike shop, taken from across Mansfiled road.

23 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Is that wings at the bottom right on the corner of Mansfield rd.

Indeed it is, Stuart but sadly the photo I'm looking for was taken from across the other side of Mansfield Raod looking straight at Wings bike shop. So it was in the opposite direction from teis angle. I think it ws originally on Picture the Past but doesn't seem to be there now. my school fried lived in the house, fourth door down. I lived on the terrace to the left out of view.

I've been looking at the Picture in past links and it looks like either P-I-P have changed thier numbering format or the original copyright owner of those pictures has withdrawn the collection from P-I-P.

I've tried a few number variations without success, so far.

I grew up, but wasn't born, in Arnold so am familiar with the area, in fact used to go to Wings for parts when I worked part time in a garage in Arnold that repaired bikes and scooters.

• 3 weeks later...

In 1969/70 we moved into a new house, these houses were on Londale Road you had to go via Shirebrook rd to get to them. They were built on the old Daybrook railway line, new and modern  the outside top half of them was in white wood. Even though they were in Daybrook iur postal address was Arnold. 

We were one of the first family's to move there but the second one was my friend Kath who i had lost contact with years ago.

At the time "Bingo" was becoming quite a popular game and the Ribblesdale cinema was turned into a Bingo hall (Lucky 7)  I used to work in the evenings master came home from work and after tea, i went to work, I had a great time working there I used to check winners,  check membership cards, use electronic number board, but Ray the manager would never let any of the checker's sell the tickets Why!! also after the Bingo at the front of the stage we had prize Bingo the girls that's was us, had to give people change eg £1 for sixpences. We had £5 bags filled with 6d coins. after one session I had one bag over, or £5 too much. This was quite a lot of money then, any way Ray came along and put this £5 in his own pocket. Now what's this got to due with not letting any of the girls sell tickets, well after I had left, Ray and a few other staff were caught off guard and served quite a long sentence.  

• 1 month later...