Memories of Daybrook and Other things.

Post #76 the last photo, brought tears to my eyes. That old fella could have been my granddad [not that it was] but

that's how I remember him dressing, flat cap, waistcoat etc. He always wore a white silky muffler too.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi all, loved reading this thread. My dad's family lived at 10 Salop Street-my great uncle Bob (gran's brother)had the woodyard half way up. I remember going on Saturdays to see gran & grandad &

My maternal grandparents were  from Arnold and Daybrook. My grandmothers family name was Ellis and they owned Ellis bakery on Front Street where my mother was born. The premises are now occupied Birds

I'll decline the offer, thanks. I'd probably listen to it once and then file it away forever.     This is Sherbrook in the 1920s, showing houses which no longer exist.

L to R; My (Maternal) grandmother - me - Grandfather on holiday in Skegness c1954. Note the granddad uniform; probably his WWI demob suit. ;)

scan0002.jpg?gl=GB

Had my school uniform from there; opposite the Post Office,Newsagents and Grove? hotel. . My parents used to use the Midland Bank in Daybrook too.

• 3 months later...

Apparently there was a rifle club based in Daybrook with an indoor shooting range of around 30 yards. Supposedly these were very popular and encouraged as they offered 'ready made soldiers' for the war effort in the Great War.

Not established where it was but suggestions were Portland Street, Morley Street and also Mansfield Road where Wickes building supplier stands now. Apparently on the latte site - which I remember as a Cerebos salt factory as stated earlier and latterly owned by the Home Brewery. I was told there were originally some wooden shed on this land which housed an aircraft of some kind which may or may not have been used for training purposes.

There was also another indoor rifle shooting range in Arnold at the Drill Hall on Arnot Hill Road: http://www.arnold-history-group.org/29743471

Additionally there were clubs at Mapperley too on Ransom Road and Woodborough Road - the latter now a community centre :

NTGM015801.jpg

Ransom Road

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM015801&prevUrl=

NTGM015802.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM015802&prevUrl=

in the 1970s at least, there was a shooting club at the castle.

I think it was through the door shown on the left of this picture.

castle-shooting-club_zps5a2da060.jpg

I believe the castle shooting range was there for a long time - might still be in use for all I know!

This thread has bought back some wonderful memories I have been in and around Daybrook and Arnold most of my life.

In the early 1900s my mother lived in the terraced cottages that used to stand opposite Red Hill Rd somewhere near where the scout hut is now. Her father is buried in a war grave to the right fronf of the chapel at Red Hill cemetery and both her and my father are buried in the newer section.

During the mid 70s I worked for Sturtons plumbers based on St Albans Rd and did a lot of work for Be-Ro and Daybrook laundry. Even fitted a new boiler at the Old Spot.

As to indoor small bore rifle ranges, there were dozens of them back in the 60s. Every drill hall had one as did every large company i.e. Boots Players etc.

I started shooting with the gas board (under Basford gas works) in late 1962. Bought my own rifle in 1963 but couldn't afford a gun bag so walked form Rosetta Rd to the range with it slung over my shoulder. No one battered an eyelid but I woundn't want to try it these days. Mick as far as I know Castle Rifle club is still running, it certainly was a couple of years ago.

Colin

I remember those cottages very well, Colin. They used to stand up off the road a bit on a terrace. There was a little paper shop there where is used to go and fetch The Football Post on a Saturday evening. On one of the maps kindly placed on here recently I noticed the title 'Park Terrace' approximately where that row of cottages stood but it isn't a term that I'm familiar with locally, personally.

A few pics of the area. the latter two showing Mr. Holmes grocery store straight opposite.

NCCC003314.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC003314&prevUrl=

NCCC002374.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC002374&prevUrl=

NCCC000179.jpg

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC000179&prevUrl=

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the pics Stu.

Just reread your post about the rifle club on Ransom Rd. That was a long range open air range using the hill upto Woodborough as a back stop. Your second pic is I believe the old range wardens house situated on the right of Ransom Rd as you go up hill toward Woodborough Rd. The range was eventually closed after many complaints of near misses of coach and horses traversing Woodborough Rd.

Colin

Very ornate building too - the doorway to the side is almost church-like. The headquarters of the Robin Hood Rifles shooting club.

Interesting that Ransom Road was originally called Coppice Road. I was told that the local authority in Arnold decided to change the name of what was Spout Lane to Coppice Road. With two Coppice Roads in fairly close proximity the city council decided to rename Mapperley's Coppice Road, Ransom Road to save confusion. Seems like even in those days local authorities didn't communicate too well!

Interesting info I picked up about Daybrook Station last night. During the Great War Arnot Hill House was used as an auxiliary hospital run by the Red Cross. Specially fitted trains would arrive at Daybrook Station to bring injured servicemen to the hospital just the other side of Daybrook Square. Apparently the trains would always arrive in the middle of night in order that few people would not see the injured soldiers so as not to affect moral during the war.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the picture of Redhill chip shop Stu. My friends and I used to buy a bag of chips from there and eat them on our way up to the "Arch Bridge" of an evening. Happy days.

My schoolmate's dad was SNCOIC the drill hall in Arnold for a while in the early 60s. His name was Terry Deane but I don't imagine they stayed in Arnold after the posting ended. I remember playing in the hall and the rifle range when not in use.

Fishcake and chips from Redhill chip shop and a while-you-wait look over the latest newspaper cartoons pinned to the wall by Mr Easom - ah the memories! If only we had the chip shop there now...

I had a bit of a snoop round the back of the drill hall last week when I was in Arnold and what was the firing range is still there. I think it's electrical suppliers/contractors now. Informative piece about it from Arnold History Group. Take a look at some of the artistes they had appearing!

The Drill Hall

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

If memory serves morris street was a follow-on from salop street part of it still exists but it is now the carpark and loading bay of ERF cables. The factory on the opposite side of Mansfield road on the corner of st Albans road was Cybil Claymore hosiery Factory. On the same side was Danny`s Tattoo parlour and a couple of other shops whos names escape me

Fch782c

Hi stu

The Five Mile House you refer to is past the pumping station on Mansfield Road A60 at the turn off for Burnt stump Hill

FCH782C