Memories of Daybrook and Other things.

Cheers Ray, thanks very much for reminding me of that site. I had seen that pic of the New Inn at Arnold before but according to that link on my post #24 there were two 'New Inns' - one at Arnold and also one at Redhill - with different years of opening.

That Arnold one looks like it might have down near the bottom end of High Street to me -as you're approaching the Liberal Club. Anybody's guess though.

http://www.gjphotographic.co.uk/html/images/Arnold17-NewInn.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi all, loved reading this thread. My dad's family lived at 10 Salop Street-my great uncle Bob (gran's brother)had the woodyard half way up. I remember going on Saturdays to see gran & grandad &

My maternal grandparents were  from Arnold and Daybrook. My grandmothers family name was Ellis and they owned Ellis bakery on Front Street where my mother was born. The premises are now occupied Birds

I'll decline the offer, thanks. I'd probably listen to it once and then file it away forever.     This is Sherbrook in the 1920s, showing houses which no longer exist.

First job I had as an apprentice electrician was at CS Tagg, they had their offices on Mansfield road Daybrook, can't remember whether it was Church house or Daybrook house, up the North end before Oxclose lane on the opposite side.

First job I worked on was the "new" Roman catholic church at the bottom of Thackerys lane, had all the latest trends of the time including underfloor heating, all electric of course ! Imagine the power bill now !

Remember one of the apprentices, one lunch break, "playing" with a hand held Hilti gun and nearly shooting a bloke the other side of a breezeblock wall !

Health and Safety what ?

Also worked on the multi story flats at Sneinton, as an apprentice, one of my jobs was to find up to 15 blokes at afternoon tea, anywhere in the building, all 17 floors ! with a bag of mugs and a jug of tea ! and god help if I missed anyone or the tea was cold !

Eleven o clock we took an order to the cafe opposite the bus station on Manvers st, and used to carry up to 15 cooked dinners, on plates back to the cabin on site at 12 midday.

Then wash all the plates and return back to the cafe.

Some lunch breaks we would make paper aeroplanes and see how far they would fly from the roof on top.

Another crazy thing we used bet each other who could walk round the parapet edge, on the roof top, after all the scaffolding had been removed and the building nearly finished.

I'm rambling again ! Sorry for the diversion.

Brian

Stu, yes remember Ceribos vaguely but not when it first appeared, also that was Worral Avenue and I past it on my way to school and the post office was just down the road. Know nothing about the farm except that it was in the 1800s.

Another great mind jogging map Cliff Ton.

Cerebos was a salt factory of some kind, just noticed the brand is still around. the Home Brewery took on the premises and used it as a trade retail place. I went in there a few times with my dad's card (he was employed by the brewery at the time) and apart from all the stuff you'd get in pubs, food drink etc. there were areas set up with typical Home Brewery pub furniture units and the like. There was even a small bar set up where you cold get a (free) drink.

Three local farms that I know of over the years, Gadsby's, Hammonds (now called New Farm and a big business) up the Colliers Pad accessed from Thornton Avenue, Redhill and also Lammins Farm (Tophouse Farm). There are probably more.

Just how I remember the Coronation building, even back in the 40s, hey I even had a Hillman Imp once!!! The picture of the derelict houses is very poignant as the one to the right of the rear entry was the home of my friend back then, his dad drove for Be-Ro. Even the oat field was there, minus the fence so little changed over the years up to 1970.

Must be sad for you to see your friend's old house like that. Whenever I see these solid types of old homes it makes me think it was often a mistake demolishing them and replacing them with ones that were quickly inferior.

Love the fact that crop fields were situated so close to our built-up suburbs. it reminds the Arnold was once very much a village.

Agree with you again Stu, that side of Mansfield road from Byron St. to Oxclose Lane is non existent now that the laundry and white heart has gone, thank goodness Salop St. is still on the map. The other side has not fared much better as only the I. R. Morley building, Home Brewery bulding, almshouses and church have survived. As I have said before I do not know much about Redhill but do remember that we used to refer to arch bridge, can you enlighten us on that?

There have been two or three 'Arch Bridge's' in my time as far as I remember. A member on here has mentioned that a previous one now resides in an industrial yard just off the ring road.

The original road (to the right as you're heading to Mansfield) is called Arch Hill. It has a handful of large homes along it and a footpath or two towards Arnold. Over the bridge is a very large home with it's own lodge house. There is a reservoir also which I understand feeds Arnold's water supply. From over the bridge there are a long row of allotments all the way down to Leapool roundabout

The 'Red Road' as it was known was originally very steep and could be impassable at times for carriages. Extra horses were needed to get the carriages up the road at any time. For this reason it was decided to make a cutting. The cutting though needed a bridge to access Bestwood and it's farms. The account below tells you about it's creation.

Incidentally, back to Daybrook for a moment. From the same site as below it tells of St. Albans Road as originally being called 'Broadmere Lane' - indicating the presence of a large pond or mere. This was apparently said to be to the south of St. Albans Road at it's western end.

'The Old Red Hill Arch, During the Waterloo year the hill road was lowered by a cutting—the work being done by the framework knitters of Arnold, who at the time were nearly destitute owing to the bad trade caused by the war, and a wet harvest. Money being scarce, they were paid in kind. The road was very wide, so that half of its width could be cut through, leaving an upper road (a right of way) branching off at the brow to a farm in Bestwood Park. To gain access to the farm, it was neccessary to build an arch over the proposed cutting; and it was commenced simultaneously with both ends of the excavation. The piers were the natural rock from which— the clay and shale having been removed to the depth of several feet—the arch was sprung, and turned over the unexcavated material. The last lot of rock and clay to be taken down was that under the arch—leaving it suspended. It was shaken by clay waggons, during the construction of the Bestwood Reservoir, and some years later fell into the roadway. The present structure has since taken its place. The old arch, with the present boundary wall between the upper and lower roads, was built from the waterstones of the cutting. Another pecular feature was the making of a solid foundation for the road on a soft clay bottom: trimmed gorse bushes were placed at right angles, then broken boulders over them, with a little soil on the top to bind all together.'

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/arnold1913/arnold13.htm

:) Stu, wonderful collection of photographs that you've contributed @ #36; like you, especially like the one: 'oat crops seen from Salop Street, 1920's' - the mixture of Industrial and pastoral landscapes, so interesting.

I love the fact that the countryside lived cheek-by-jowl with urbanity in relatively modern times. That's one of the things I like about Redhill I guess - it's very easy to find yourself in the middle of what was Sherwood Forest in Bestwood Country Park. I read a nice account on the link on the post above of 'roe deer coming down to graze behind the Cross Keys public house in Arnold - which as anyone who knows Arnold will tell you is right on the main street (Front Street)!

Another thing that interests me is the local history. It boggles my mind slightly to read that both the Danes ( in AD898) and William the Conqueror are said to have marched along what is now Mansfield Road - viewable from the bottom of my cul-de-sac!

WOOOOW!!! Just what Arnold needs (I dont think) Remember though when I was working as a subby joiner on a new site at Snapewood (Wimpy were building next to us) I worked on my first Aldi in Notts, and shopped there when it was finished and I was very surprised by the quality of their own brand goods at the prices they charged.

I think the locals would welcome it as it looks a real mess at the moment. Had to laugh at the comment though from an Aldi spokesperson saying there was

"a real need for a new food store to serve Daybrook"

Erm...the massive Sainsbury's just across the road?!

All they need to do now is something with the huge piles of rubble that were once the White Hart and the Metallifacture factory...

I have marked a few places on the Daybrook/Redhill map. If anyone finds an error please correct it. I can't remember the names of all the site owners but if anyone is interested I will try and find out. This is from memory and applies to the 1950s and 1960s. Key is given below map:

redhill%2525255B1%2525255D.jpg?gl=GB

KEY:

1) Redhill chippy

2) Redhill Cemetery, where most of my family are buried.

3) Error, sorry

4) Hosiery factory

5) Morris Terrace, where I spent the first 5 years of my life

6) Wings motorcycles (Velocette dealer?)

7) Slop street chippy. Run by a very nice German lady and her UK husband

8) OXO depot

9) Doctor's surgery

10) Motor bike repairs and MOT

11) Cheese depot

12) The Lucas Brothers' Green grocers. Other shops on the row included an electrical shop, off licence, bookies (I think)

13) Foundry/breakers yard. Broke many railway bits in the 60s

14) Hackett's slaughter house

15) Be-Ro factory

16) Old Good Shepherd school

17) Area my mother called "Jonah's"

18) Drill Hall

19) "Arnold St Mary's" football club ground

20) Hatter's chippy; later The Mermaid.

21) The Croft. Site of Arnold Wakes.

22) Alf Hutchings barber shop

23) Berry's Newsagent

24) Nell Gwynne pub

25) Giant conker tees. Behind the trees was a farm.

26) Arnold refuse tip

27) Arch bridge

28) Roxy cinema

29) Druids Tavern

30) Hosiery factory

Just remembered: to the left of No.13, opposite Longmead drive there was a VG goods depot using a pre-war factory site and buildings.

• Upvote 1

Compo

Just looking at your map and saw the foundry there.

Can remember working at a foundry on Mansfield road but nearer the old lido in Sherwood I think , or maybe nearer the city ?

Bloody filthy job we had as we were rewiring some part of it and all the years of dust etc was terrible.

Very interesting though watching the blokes do the sand moulds for the casts they made. Think they were drain covers of some sort.

I see Morris Terrace has already gone in that picture from 1967. My memory served me right about the Velocette dealer too; which is nice :) Love the chewing gum machines outside the shop.

If anyone finds an error please correct it.

Next to #1 Redhill chippy, the map shows the post office (PO) being there. That was actually Mr. Holmes grocery store. Redhill post office was situated within a row of small houses between the Waggon & Horses and The Ram Inn on Mansfield Road.