Lady Window Cleaners Nottingham WW1

My Grandad was a window cleaner most of his life. He had the largest window cleaning round in Nottingham at one time, did loads of the city centre shops, his main stay during the icy winter months.

Anyone recall him?? Tom Russell was his name.

Are we saying, Nottingham girls cleaned windows in London?

The sign says Head office London?

Perhaps taken at an office in Nottingham?

Are we saying, Nottingham girls cleaned windows in London?

The sign says Head office London?

Perhaps taken at an office in Nottingham?

I realised that Mick!

Merely trying to be quasi-lighthearted....hence the smiley.

Cheers

Robt P.

and heres the modern day version. (mentioned elsewhere on the forums)

notts_faces_hendrix_dead_boy_270.jpgnotts_faces_hendrix_dead_boy_200.jpg

Window cleaning punk, Hendrix Dead Boy

By day Hendrix Dead Boy cleans the windows of Nottingham's public houses. By night he fronts the punk-metal band Sic Boy Federation.

More? BBC.co.uk

In 1958 the directors of Commercial Union, which had acquired the Accident Insurance Company in 1906, wrote to Sir Winston informing him that this was the oldest personal accident policy on the company's books, and would be free of further premium payments.

In his reply, Sir Winston thanked the board "for their most courteous action". He added: "Pray accept my warm thanks for your thought of me, which has given me pleasure."

This turned up while I was having a rummage for clues. I wonder if it is the same company? The site is: Aviva world

Its fascinating looking for clues...

A ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 7 years later...

:biggrin:Mick, Wonderful photographs of Lady Window Cleaners, holding up the Fort whilst the men were away.

PS: I can't imagine they'd be using Windolene (wasn't invented) - more like a spot of vinegar in the bucket of water. :biggrin:

:biggrin: What a Brave Lady in radfordred's photo above: now if that was me I'd be wearing my Stockings, Suspender Belt and High Heels - looking all Glamorous 'Doing A Job On The Front'........................ :Kiss:

PS: 'Keep 'Em COMIN' radfordrouge......................... :hand:

Some time from 1927, when the old Exchange was demolished and new Exchange Buildings were built, The Ocean was in offices in that block on the corner of Smithy Row and High Street, but the photo does not seem to be taken there as the incline is the opposite direction.

Commercial Union were also in the Exchange but at the top of Cheapside, so the incline seems more correct for that position and did have obscured windows on the ground floor. Don't know if Ocean were in those offices before Commercial Union, but they did combine in 1965 in new offices at that time in Friar Lane.

Commo is right , there is an advert for the firm in1930 , giving an address of 11 Smithy Row .

• 2 years later...

and heres the modern day version. (mentioned elsewhere on the forums)

notts_faces_hendrix_dead_boy_270.jpgnotts_faces_hendrix_dead_boy_200.jpg

Window cleaning punk, Hendrix Dead Boy

By day Hendrix Dead Boy cleans the windows of Nottingham's public houses. By night he fronts the punk-metal band Sic Boy Federation.

More? BBC.co.uk

Strangely not much footage of Hendrix & Sic Boy Federation?

#22. Ocean Insurance, in the Exchange Buildings block, opposite the Black Boy Hotel. Insured my first motorbike there - the lad who served me was in my class at school. The year's third party fire and theft cost me five pounds. This is the certificate. Chulla never throws anything away! In case you are wondering what the bike was, it was a Velocette 350cc KSS in racing trim - rev counter,TT carb and mega exhaust, all bought for five pounds from a chap at work. It had previously been raced by Friary Autos in Derby.

Ocean%20Ins%20Cert%201956_zpszjqi7gli.jp

• Upvote 1

The lady window-cleaners of Nottingham seem to have liked having their photos taken. Here's the same lot again in the same location.

window3_zpsxgqlxfur.jpg

And another lot in a different location (it's claimed to be Nottingham - there are several George Webster premises which fit the bill)

Window-cleaners-in-Nottin-012_zpskmgczds

• Upvote 4