Does anyone have memories of the Rainbow Rooms ? think it was on Broad street.

I went to Peoples college for night school 3 times a week for a couple of terms and had a mate, Barry, there who's dad was a projectionist at the Odeon cinema, he used to get free tickets to some of the gigs held in the Rainbow rooms, so we used to often go there after college on a Thurs or Friday night.

One band in particular was in the charts called Unit 4 +2, Concrete and Clay the song, well talk about a one hit wonder , they were totally crap !Think most people walked out after the first set !

Saw the Beatles live for free too at the Odeon as again got the tickets from Barry's dad.

Waste of time though as couldn't hear a thing for the bloody girls screaming !

Few years later I hung around with a guy who was lead guitarist for a local band, think it was Sons of Adam, but may be wrong.

Did a gig at the University students union, and there was rumours of a "new" band making a special appearance.

Anyway it turned out to be Paul McCartneys band "Wings" Linda's backing was a bit iffy but a good performance generally.

Heard later that Paul had done the University circuit, to polish the band up before going public.

I think it would be around 65 as I was an apprentice from 63 to 68. And after 66 I got day release, so just went college for the day instead of nights.

Was on Broad street but feel sure it was the Rainbow Rooms but hey it was a fair while ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Much more mundane memories of the Co-op Rainbow rooms. It was the venue used by various organisations to hold examinations and I attended annually from 1965 to 1968 taking examinations for my professional qualifications. Always found it hard to take that most folk went there to enjoy themselves!

The main entrance to the ain hall was on Broad Sreet, but the building went through to Heathcote Street which entrance was used for getting in to the smaller rooms. I did once go for a private function in 1962 put on by a school colleague for her birthday party and she invited the whole of the fifth form to attend! Must have had parents with some wherewithal! It was, though, the first hearing of Beatles "Love Me Do" on the Dansette which provided the entertainment, so woud have been in the October, Thought the record absolutely fantastic!